Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Is it at all possible that, during an ill-advised attempt at overclocking, my PSU could have been hosed? I replaced the motherboard and CPU, and now the machine shows signs of life (Ethernet light goes in when cable plugged in, the trick where you use a paper clip to jump the PSU seems to work) but no amount of fiddling will get the machine to boot properly. I don't want to replace the drat thing if I can avoid it. Can I avoid it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Corsair TX650. For what it's worth I'm running a GeForce 660.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I recently had to RMA my computer (HP
Pavilion 580-023, with an additional SSD installed by the seller). The issue I was having before was rendering the machine unbootable, as described at length in this Haus of Tech Support thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854618

After replacing the built in 300W Lite-ON with a real EVGA 650W PSU, the issue persisted, so I sent it in to the seller for an RMA. I was given few details as to what happen at the RMA facility, other than “trouble in the motherboard” and “we replaced it”.

Upon the computer’s return Friday, I began the
arduous journey of reinstalling everything. This process involves connecting many USB devices: 2 external HDDs with separate AC power, 1 portable external HDD powered directly via USB, a PlayStation Vita, wired keyboard, wired mouse, and th iPhone 7 I’m typing this on. Most of these devices were plugged into the same USB 3.0 port via an unpowered 7-way hub.

While I was restoring the software I began seeing errors: “USB device is exceeding the power limits of the USB port.” The options were “Reset” and “Close”, with a warning that “Close” would stop the port from working at all until I reset the computer. To be safe, I removed all USB devices save the mouse, chose “Reset” until the errors stopped, and restarted the machine.

Now none of my USB ports work. The PC boots just fine, but without any way of connecting a mouse or keyboard (there aren’t any PS/2 ports) it’s a $900 paperweight.

I’m going to try a few more steps like resetting the CMOS and a hard shutdown. In case I am unsuccessful, I have some questions:

-Is there any chance I caused damage to the computer by using it beyond its capacity?
-Is this issue repairable without another motherboard replacement?
-If I buy a new computer pre-built, what are the most reputable vendors?