Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
This is a hardware/software question.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread.

I have a Mac formatted hdd from a 2008 unibody MacBook pro that suddenly died on me several years ago. I forget what OS X version it was running. I'm pretty sure it was pre lion though. I've finally gotten around to removing the drive since I was bored this morning.

Anyway I have a Windows machine running Win 7. As I understand it I'll need some software to read my files (photos, artwork, and music) from the Mac drive. I need a recommendation for a preferably free program that'll allow me to migrate the files to my Windows drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Cool, thanks! Now to see if I have a spare SATA power cord lying around.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Looking to improve my lovely internet situation at my house. Landlady has all utilities in her name, and all are included in the rent so upgrading internet isn't really an option. It's DSL over WiFi only right now. As such I barely get signal in my room from the combo modem/router.

What's the better option? A bridge or a power line adapter? My current setup is a desktop with a wireless dongle and a Nintendo Switch with WiFi only. I'm leaning more towards a wireless capable powerline adapter as it should allow me to run my desktop in wired mode, and still allow me to do wifi with the switch. A cursory look on Amazon shows a pretty large price disparity between the two options.

Is the powerline adapter the better/more reliable bet? If so, which one is a good deal/reliable?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

fishmech posted:

You're on DSL, it's not going to go fast ever. You should buy her a nice Wifi router to put on the existing modem/router combo, and that'll provide sufficient performance for what the line can handle. Powerline adapters aren't really going to boost your speed that much versus a nice newer 802.11ac router. Additionally, you might want to convince her that asking her ISP to switch their provided modem/router combo out for a modem on its own would work out well, since it'll make using the separate router easier.

Something like the TP-Link Archer C7 (v2) will do the trick unless this is a really huge house, and it's only $90 on amazon or so. And the router helps everyone who lives in the house, the combo the ISP provides is likely some old 802.11n or even 802.11g crap for its wireless side, which simply doesn't match the range or handling of multiple devices that 802.11ac routers can do.

He's still getting signal from the crappy low-range ISP's combo, so it should perform much better with a router that's actually designed around range. It won't be super great speeds but I doubt the modem even does 20 megabit on its best day, so it should still have plenty of room.

Didn't consider the separate router option, as I just assumed that signal would still be poo poo. I have an older D-Link Dir-555 sitting around. Modem in question is a Motorola NVG-510.

According to this link I should be able to setup the modem and router with different IP addresses. I imagine to alleviate any issues with people on the existing network it'd be better to change the IP of the router than the modem. In the linked thread people mention that I could run into double NAT issues I'm guessing setting up the router on the DMZ would circumvent this.

I suspect that my connection's slow enough that I won't really see any benefit from an ac capable router at this point anyway. Regardless, this solution is free and will at least allow me to "test the waters" and see if an external router will alleviate my connection worst.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Ah, wasn't aware of the increased range thing. I have a wealth of Ethernet cables and should be able to run the router past one wall. If it improves my situation, I'll look into the router you recommended. This current one is drat near 10 years old at this point anyway.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I have a loose 3.5 hdd. I want to get an enclosure for it that doesn't require me to have an external power supply. Is there an option out there that allows me to use usb-c or thunderbolt 3 to for my data transfer and power delivery (I'm unsure if usb-c will deliver enough power tbh)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Ah ok, guess I'll just have to use a regular drive enclosure then. Thanks!