Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Is it possible to get an extension for a front-panel HD Audio connector? The cable in this case is comically short and the cooler I want to install might make it impossible to reach the header on the motherboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Kikka posted:

I recently bought a new HD monitor with a DVI-D in port. However, the output from my Nvidia graphics card is through a DVI-I to VGA adapter; am I getting the best available picture quality I can, or should I also purchase a DVI cable?

Get a DVI-I or DVI-D cable, run it straight from your graphics card to your monitor with no adapters in between.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Earl of Lavender posted:

Is it possible for bad RAM to cause a machine to hang for about thirty seconds to a minute and then power off, or does that sound more like PSU/CPU/mobo?

There's an easy way to figure out if your RAM is failing - MemTest86+.

Download the Auto-installer, run it, install it onto a USB drive, and boot from it. Let it run for at least one full pass. If it detects errors, it'll display them very prominently.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Temporarily in a living situation where wired 'net for my desktop isn't really practical - what's a decent wireless solution that won't break the bank? I'm only gonna be using it for a couple months, so I don't wanna go hog wild.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If you decide to go that route, I’ve got a set of these Netgear powerline adapters that I’ll sell you for cheap (like $20 shipped) since I’m moving and never really used them. Let me know and I’ll make a thread in SA-Mart so everything is on the up and up.

I'm European, so that's probably more trouble than it's worth. Thanks for the offer though!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I bought a 20TB hard drive because i never wanted to have to think about storage again. Anything that's sensitive to access speeds goes on the system SSD.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

VelociBacon posted:

I hope you rember to look at this post in 6 years!

I guess it's possible I'll have filled it out by then, but I doubt it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Running CrystalDiskMark on the HDD if you have it already will give you a good indicator of how fast sequential reads are (which will be what matters most for most larger games in that use case). And then the answer is just "faster internet than that".