Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

My boomer parents need a new desktop PC to replace a very, very old Dell. The plan is to get them another Dell and a 27" screen to go with it. Use case is basically general web surfing and spreadsheets, plus some light photo/video archiving.

I could possibly kill two birds with one stone here by getting them a Dell "All-in-one" PC. For example,
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/inspiron-27-7000-black-all-in-one-with-bipod-stand/spd/inspiron-27-7700-aio/na7700ejxlh
(not picking this particular model, but just linking for those who don't know what they are)

But, I've never bought/used an all-in-one PC before. I'm somewhat skeptical about having the screen be part of the PC, for repairability reasons. But I guess with the cost savings, they could get an extended warranty (heh).

Has anyone here bought or serviced a Dell All-in-one, and if so, what are your opinions on them?

edit: hmm apparently even the 27" AIO screens are only FHD (1080p), so, forget it

pmchem fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Reasonable points about boomer eyes. But they could also just scale fonts where needed with 1440p. I’ll have them look at a 1440p to see what they think before they jump in.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I've been researching PC (gaming) audio, various onboard options and sound cards, etc. And I keep seeing people mention an external USB DAC/amp as an alternative.

Anyone here use a USB DAC / amp instead of onboard audio for PC gaming?

how's that work, exactly? what software/hardware do you need? it bypasses the motherboard audio chipset entirely?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I need a new battery backup / UPS, my old cyberpower 850VA has ate poo poo.

What's the current hotness? needs are to sustain a gaming pc (say, 900W) and attached peripherals (27" monitor, home networking, etc.) for like 5 minutes so I can perform an orderly shutdown or make it through a 5 second spike. We get a lot of short spikes and outages here when there's bad weather.

preferably something available via amazon or bestbuy