Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Rolo posted:

Edit2: current contender is the Noctua NHU9S

I put this in a relatively compact system and it's a dream. Just as quiet as it promises and no issues so far, with the caveat that it's not my main system so it sees less frequent use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Rolo posted:

I didn’t think my system was that compact until I looked at the specs and realized I have a 157mm tolerance.

I wanted the big mama jama :(

This made me curious, so I looked at the specs for my case in question, and the tolerance is 160. So close!

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Rolo posted:

You guys ever fall down a rabbit hole once you start upgrading?

That's how it always happens. "Hey, RAM prices are decent again, think I'll add more. Shoot, for only a few bucks more I can get a very slightly faster set. drat, need a new motherboard for that. Well, as long as I'm getting a new mobo might as well look at processors too."

etc., etc. Earlier this year I upgraded my main system's video card, and since the old one (GTX 970) was still perfectly decent for reasonable purposes and especially my purposes, I decided to build an entirely new budget system around it to have a more compact PC that I could take with to a gaming weekend back when we could still go places. One upgrade definitely is a single snowball atop a snowy hill for me.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Heavy Metal posted:

My quick question, how long has my computer got left? Or just a guess on a couple of the components. Was built in 2012 over 8 years ago, still has most of the original stuff. No problems or anything.

An additional note - have you been making sure to clean it semi-regularly? If you have dust built up from 2012 in there it'll probably affect some of the stuff other people said.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Odd question, but I happened by my local MicroCenter (yes, I'm fortunate enough to live quite close to one) last night and there were several people camped outside the door, clearly ready to wait overnight or something. I didn't ask them what was up, but as I went in I did hear one of them mention AMD briefly, so my assumption was that they were waiting for some stock of the 5000 line to drop. Out of curiosity, anyone know if MicroCenter was getting a shipment yesterday/today? Makes sense if they were getting a bunch of Black Friday stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

gradenko_2000 posted:

November 25 is supposed to be the day that third-party models of the AMD RX 6000 series cards will go on sale.

Ah, totally forgot that AMD was killing it on two fronts now! Thanks. Hopefully those dudes got what they wanted, because weatherwise it would have been a truly lovely night to spend outside in a camp chair.