Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Much TL;DR would a dying mobo or PSU cause intermittent buzzing/whining through speakers & HDMI, AND stuttering on the network interface, or do I have two separate problems? Can system noise/interference 'leak' on to the network interface? And how would I go about troubleshooting further?

I made a bunch of changes all at once which makes troubleshooting a pain, don't do it. Its a particular nightmare if you later decide you're not totally certain if the problem was there before the changes or not..........The more major plot points of my horror story;

I'm getting a buzz/squeal through my speakers and through the HDMI connected to a TV.

Pretty much all in one go I did the following plus some other minor changes and some software changes.
I found a spare ram stick with matching specs for my 'server' (Aging Franken i3 540 running W7), tried it, wouldnt boot, different slot same, took old ram out..nope. Updated BIOS still no luck. Found even the old ram (2 sticks, 4 slots) will only boot in the one configuration, even same slots but switched sticks, or just one stick doesn't work....gave up on the spare ram stick.

I added a new HDD (filling the last of the mobo's 5 sata ports), but I'd ran out of sata power cables for my modular PSU, so incorporated a molex to sata connector.

The system has been running off a msata drive for about 18months in an 'open silicone' mSata-Sata convertor sat in a cardboard toilet role to keep it away from touching bare metal. So I final put in in a proper msata to sata 2.5inch 'box'.

A few days later I start to notice this high pitch whine from the speakers. It's almost like old fashioned modem noise raised a few octaves.

So I put the msata back in the old open caddy. Made a proper Sata power cable out of some spare parts to get rid of the molex adapter. But its still buzzing. It's intermittent but really annoying.

But the kicker is I'm not entirely sure it wasn't doing it before all this. As I'm also noticing a 'stutter' via the network (Wired LAN) on the machine, and I'm starting to think it's all part of the same problem. I use Synergy to use the mouse and keyboard on my other machine to control it over the network, and the mouse has been hesitating now and again, for a while now, the remote control app on my phone disconnects for split seconds randomly, and viewing windows shares from my phone gets lots of time outs, and I get random short bufferings on my openelec TV box.

I needed to get all that off my chest.

Fake e: TL;DR moved from end to before all the mumbling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

bitcoin savant posted:

Your PC is haunted :ghost:

You'll probably want to open a HAUS thread for this issue as it seems like it could be a number of things (motherboard, power supply, possibly a fan bearing in the case), and anyone attempting to determine what's going on is going to need more detailed information and a parts list to assist you:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170

quote:

Scary power supply chat

I think I'll just start off with ordering a new power supply. Just checked, I bought it early 2008.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

MeKeV posted:

I think I'll just start off with ordering a new power supply. Just checked, I bought it early 2008.

Power supply didnt fix it...new cpu+mobo seems to have :pray:

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Whats the best way of choosing a graphics card (identifying if one can) run three monitors at 1080, while on a budget.
Or would something external be a better way to go?

I'm looking at a new build (none gaming) and although I'm on 2 screens currently, I'd like to set up with the possibility of a third somewhere down the line.

So far I've only noted the AMD Radeon Pro WX 3100, at about £170 as an option, though I'm not 100% certain the three outputs can all be used at once. edit It's OK with 3 screens at 4k @ 60hz

edit2 found the output sliders on parts picker. Finding cards with min 3 outputs is a start, then I can look at their specs in detail when I find one in stock and cheap.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 17, 2019

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
There was some talk in the thread a few weeks ago while I was researching that I think was relevant, about slower than expected boot times, but I cant seem to find it now.

I'm running a Ryzen 2600 on a MSI B450-A Pro, with a 16GB kit of Ballistix 3200 CL16 and an Adata XPG SX6000 Pro 512GB M.2 drive.

Boot isn't absurdly slow, but it is slower than my 10 year old laptop with a 250gb 840 evo windows drive.

When I get round to investigating a bit, I think I'll start with disabling the XMP 2 profile, which I turned on straight away. What other things should I look at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Ah, I thought all the relevant options were set, but that was just in the Boot Options part of the menu. I set UEFI in the "Windows OS Configuration" under the Advanced tab, instead of CSM. And it is indeed now quicker than my laptop.

Thanks!