Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The PC building thread recommends changing hard drives out after 5 years as they become more likely to die. As a result I am going to buy a 2 TB drive to replace my current 1 TB drive. Is there a way I can run these together so the computer thinks they are one drive but when the old one inevitably dies I don't lose any data? Otherwise I guess I just have to throw away a perfectly good drive because it has a high chance of dying.

Also related to this what is the best way to transfer data from one to another? My current drive has a bunch of system linked poo poo which I don't want to break so if my above idea doesn't work I just want to straight copy the drive by they are different sizes so I can't do an image?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Sorry to jump in but is there a reason the C7 is always recommended but not the C5? They seem identical but the C5 is $50 cheaper (at least where I am) and slightly newer.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've got a tiny studio apartment and I'm the only person in it. The only WiFi device is my 5x and friends laptops and phones from time to time so I think the C5 will be fine.

:tipshat:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just bought a new stick of ram for my laptop (Lenovo x250). How long do I need to keep it running in memtest? Any options to include when I start it?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

HalloKitty posted:

Windows has a built in memory test. "windows memory diagnostics" in the start menu

Is this robust enough for my purposes also?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I recently swapped my TN panel out for an IPS on my x250 so I was assume it's possible on the x230. If it's anything like the x250 it's actually a really easy process so maybe get your money back and do it yourself?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have a bunch of old hard drives lying around. I bought a PATA/SATA to USB adapter to see what's on them and if they run.

My plan for the PATA ones is to grab anything useful off them then smash them with a hammer and recycle them.

For the SATA ones is there anything I can use them for? A NAS would probably be useful.

How will I know if they are ok if Crystal Disk Info shows no errors?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just bought a new 2 Tb platter HDD to replace my ancient (7 years!) 1 Tb drive, my main drive is an SSD. What’s the easiest way to clone the old drive onto the new drive? Ideally it would just appear as if it was the old drive but with the extra space.

It doesn’t have Windows installed on it but it has some systems links most likely that I don’t want to have to tidy up if I don’t have to.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

JnnyThndrs posted:

Macrium Reflect Free works well and is easy to use.

Thanks. Any ideas on what to do with the old drive? So far it seems to be working fine but given its age it could die at any moment.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

fishmech posted:

Huh? All you have to do is to copy between drives as normal. Then when you're done, go into Windows Disk Management, change the old drive's drive letter to something different, and change the new drive's drive letter to what the old drive was. There will be no missing links at that point.

You mean I could do it all from Windows if I installed the new drive with the old drive? I’m just thinking things like my Windows Library links would break when I changed drive letters.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just built a new computer using a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite motherboard. What (if any) of the Gigabyte utilities are worth installing? There are about 20 on their website but it's not really obvious what they do and I'm not that keen to install them just to see as I image a fair few are bloatware. I had a search but can't find anywhere that explains what they do.

Apologies if this question is better in a different thread!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Indiana_Krom posted:

None of them as long as you don't need to control the RGB stuff and you set up your fan speed profiles in BIOS.

Statutory Ape posted:

One of my builds uses a gigabyte aorus, none of the software is really necessary but I actually did use their windows program for the fans

Thanks I'll check out the RGB software and fan software. Although with the fans I suppose once they are set you don't really need to tweak them much so BIOS is probably fine.

This brings me to another question; which is what is my optimal airflow setup with the Fractal Design Meshify C? It has one intake and one exhaust fan (both the same size), I guess to ensure I have positive pressure I need the intake to always be running a bit faster than the exhaust?

Also with my Noctua NH D-15S cooler it should exhaust towards the rear of the case right? I think I have the fan around the wrong way.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lambert posted:

I usually have two front fans (filtered) for intake and one in the top back for exhaust, works well. And yes, the CPU cooler should blow towards the back fan in your situation.

Thanks. Final weird question is; would it work to mix the stock 120mm front fan with a new 140mm fan? The Meshify C supports 120mm or 140mm and I figured I only need one more fan in the front so 140mm would be better than 120mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Atomizer posted:

Yeah it doesn't matter what the fan sizes are, they aren't going to know the difference. :ssh:

Larger fans can move more air at lower RPM and thus be quieter, though, so go with that.

Sweet, thanks. I’ll pick one up tomorrow so I don’t need to mess with RPMs.