Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

AntLion modmic and Blue Snowball are the cheapest things worth recommending. On a $10 budget go to Best Buy and see what they have on the shelf. Probably won't find anything decent cheaper than ~$20 though.

How is the Snowball? I've always wanted one of those cute little things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So I finally got around to installing HWInfo64 and checking my temps after some gaming (a couple hours of WoW.) My GTX1070 got to 70c and my i5-7600K got to 75c. Ambient temperature was the high 20s, I'd guess. Should I be worried about these temperatures? The fan curve on everything is pretty low, so I could turn it up if need be. This is in a Fractal Define R5 with just the default case fans.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Nothing's going to go super wrong, it's just going to not work as well. My Strix 270E did the same thing when I applied the XMP profile, and the trick is to just turn all of that extra stuff off. XMP doesn't need the base clock, turbo clock, or core boost settings changed. ASUS' software is just stupid. And if you don't, it just won't work as well as a manual overclock/be not as power efficient with the stupid core boost settings.

Applying the XMP profile if it's stable is much easier and less of a hassle than overclocking the RAM manually.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Double posting after myself. It's okay to leave my computer on 24/7, right? I haven't messed around with power management states or whatever, my monitors turn off, but the actual computer just locks itself and keeps running so people can contact me on IRC and so on. That's not going to cause any problems, is it?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rexxed posted:

I guess it depends on the level of support you want. If you need to ask software and windows questions you're not likely to find any computer manufacturer that will have that level of phone support any more. It was more of a thing in the 80s and 90s when computers were expensive and the internet wasn't a huge repository of knowledge about how to use them. Most computer manufacturer support is going to be able to replace broken parts or help troubleshoot. If you're having windows problems they'll refer you to their support forums or Microsoft's technical support forums. Acer isn't unique in this regard, it's pretty much the same with any hardware manufacturer.

Apple still does that sort of thing, but they’re y’know Apple.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ularg posted:

Is this part of a normal issue with cheaper keyboards that only a specific set of keys can't be pressed at the same time? I've been using this cheap Logitech K120 and keep forgetting to upgrade simply because I never ran into an issue where I couldn't press all the keys I needed. Until today when I realized that if I specifically hold down Left and Down arrow keys it won't let me press the A button. If I specifically hold down the down and right arrow keys it won't let me press the S button. But I just can't figure out if it's a normal problem with cheap keyboards or I'm doing something wrong.

I can press most any 3-4 combination of keys. This was only really noticed with a game I tried with WASD to move and arrow keys to shoot.

Yes, it's called n-key rollover and cheaper keyboards are bad at it, like you suspected.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Faith For Two posted:

How do I connect a computer to wifi if I only have an ethernet port?

No USB ports, no PCI slots, just an RJ45 jack. ~$200 budget. Prefer something from a big name company like Cisco or Linksys.

Get a good old WRT54GL (https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WRT54GL/), put it in wireless bridge mode, spend the $130 you have remaining on drugs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Reality Winner posted:

I have a ~2 year old gaming PC that I want to start using as a htpc, so I'm trying to quiet it down as much as I can. The fans are fairly quiet, but it's the hard drive that seems to be amazing the most noise. What can be done about that? It's a 1tb WD Blue hard drive.

Hard disks are often one of the louder things these days with their vibrations, and dealing with them often has a lot to do with case design. You can use rubber gromets to mount it in your case, which helps cut down on the noise, or buy a special 5 1/4" silent hard disk enclosure (google "hard disk silencer").

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fishmech posted:

Most of their business now is designing stuff used in integrated sound cards, especially in laptops.

Also their fancy sound cards nowadays are either nice interfaces for doing a bunch of audio ins and outs, or they're just flashy gamer-bait cards like the one which advertises the led strips on the card will react to music and audio from your games in real time.

Where the gently caress are you going to see the led strips? I guess it's just one more thing with Asus Aura Sync for a windowed case that's going to waste a bunch of space on your desk? Or is it on the io panel for even more :psyduck:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Is there a PC buying/recommendation thread? I figure there is, but I can't find it.

Top Sticky: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774409

OP is real out of date, look at the last few pages for ideas.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Does your laptop even have a socketed CPU you can replace, or is it soldered to the motherboard?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

"From reading the instructions, even though it claims it's an embedded processor, it can be swapped out for another with the same socket."

well I obviously can't

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MTV Crib Death posted:

Wee! This should be fun. Maybe I'll record it.

Check to make sure you have all your fingats before and after.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LRADIKAL posted:

put your computer up higher than your drinks. wow.

the downside of a great fractal design atx case is that it is way too heavy to put on my desk.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bigsteve posted:

Running a Ryzen 1700x and GTX 1070ti. Everything runs great untill now. I treid the star citizen free weekend and as it was terrible got rud. Now after about 5 mins of use my performance drops like a stone on any game. I can close whatever im using start back up and still have the performance drop of at least 50% I did some messing and seems the fix is to open task manager. Thats all. If I runs with task manager open I dont get the issues.

What the gently caress is this? Has anyone had this happen before? Ive had a look around but cant get any information that says im not crazy. Im guessing if nobody has heard of this then it time for a reinstall.

star citizen has infected your computer. run parp.exe to fix it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Perhaps giving it away to someone who only has a core2duo and plays games a lot. So I guess I could try my luck with ebay with a trustworthy seller. I just thought there was a Chinese source for cheap brand-new sandy bridge boards, or something. Thank you, Statutory Ape.

Here's a review from today of just that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgos262u6cI

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah, here's the same guy's review of a couple more and he has noticeably soured on them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUGb2Uh1C2w

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you're on Windows 10 try disabling fast startup, might be hibernate that's fucky.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Crotch Fruit posted:

Acetone is a stronger solvent than rubbing alcohol, acetone is more likely to cause damage to plastic or possibly other components. Simply put, I would avoid it if say the CPU is in the plastic socket, or if you're trying to clan a heat sink with plastic bits anywhere. Add to that nail polish remover is acetone with an oil for nail health and I would have doubts about the purity of the acetone when buying it.

As for rubbing alcohol, 70% is for disinfecting and 90% is for cleaning. Supposedly if you use 90% to try to disinfect, the 90% alcohol will kinda singe the cell wall and leave the middle protected, kinda like how if you just throw a steak on a hot pan it will make the outside black but leave the inside red.

Nail polish remover frequently comes in 100% acetone configurations. Usually any given brand will have a 100% acetone, acetone+oil, and non-acetone range. Old ladies are scared of acetone, nail art people know to not gently caress around and just go for the straight acetone and be careful. What I would worry about is the bottle type more than anything, I wouldn't want to use a cotton pad or q-tip on a CPU heatspreader, even if press tops are best for nail work.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rexxed posted:

Since it's cracked, it may continue to crack and break as you pull it off. Tempered glass is like that. Use gloves and a plastic spudger (or something not metal that's thin and flat like a knife from a take-out place or guitar pick) and pry at it gently to get it to come up.

semi-related: what kind of toolkit would goons recommend for everyday electronics stuff/repair? i was looking at the ifixit essential electronics toolkit, is that a good place to start: https://canada.ifixit.com/products/essential-electronics-toolkit?

my next project is gonna be popping open a razer game controller to get some fluff or something out from behind one of the buttons, for example. it's got some screws and also some parts that need to be popped off with a spudger or the like.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I did consider that thread, but it's also (mainly) to drive my PC speakers, so although it would have a headphone amp it's not a dedicated one. I thought somewhere in the PC subforum would therefore make sense, but can't see anywhere obvious, apart from the general PC building thread.

There’s a dedicated pc speaker thread in IYG, too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444077&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
That motherboard might support only a PCIe m.2 drive, Lenovo’s website is a gently caress so I can’t check.