Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
This looks like the best place to post this, the most stupid of questions. My dad has a computer that takes 10 seconds to load a webpage despite having great internet. Anyway, I want him to get a new computer but he is paranoid about tech and the like. Before he asks, if I look for something off of Craigslist is there anyway the seller ie a hacker can put a virus on his computer to steal his money or whatever once he starts using it and connects to the net? I personally don't care to worry about minor threats like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I would never buy a Chrome Book. My desktop died 2-3 years ago and all I had left was a lovely laptop. I was going to get a CB but spent like $50 more (probably less) and got an ASUS with an i5 and 6 or 8 gigs of ram. Anyway, thanks again, I'm just going to buy it on Amazon refurb again like my laptop and tell him it's new.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Atomizer posted:

This is often $100 on sale and was even as low as $90 at least once. The ones I've checked have had Blue drives inside; they could be Red or white label, and I don't see Greens much anymore and they might not exist at that capacity.

As someone who uses CBs daily (including right now) they are perfect for your Dad. They perform well and are secure, and are often cheap (or rather, for a given amount of money you can get a better CB than Windows laptop.)

Maybe they changed since I looked at them but I just didn't like CBs, basically I am a MS Windows baby and need those programs. Anyway, he has some lovely Walmart laptop, looking for a desktop, I'll get one and put an SSD in and blow his mind like I said I could for like $400, might cost more with the SSD now though. Doesn't need to be 'powerful' he just does his banking and stuff on it and emails and web browses (maybe). But this computer has to be almost or over 10 years old and knowing him and tech it was a 'bargain' even then.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Hey guys, reached out to a friend but haven't heard back yet, debating btwn 2 $400 refurbished laptops, basically identical but for the processors, I think I know which is better but would like your opinions, thanks. Also is buying a 3rd gen processor smart or should I spend a few more bux, this is just for casual internet and streaming use, maybe if I can play old or ultra light games that would be cool too!

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-3720QM-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3520M/m1619vsm50

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

FCKGW posted:

I would post a bit more about these laptops in the Laptop Megathread. There's a lot more to laptops than just CPU performance (which will likely be limited by thermal constraints anyways) and for $400 you could do way better than an Ivy Bridge laptop.

Thanks, I'll do some research, read the recs and post something tomorrow. Glad I asked, they both have 8GB (DDR3-bad?) and 512 GB SSDS and are MS certified. Thought they were a steal. Also noticed prices on Amazon are up kinda a lot since the last time I looked, is that supply, people spending more time inside, or stimulus bux, etc.?