Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I'm building my new PC, the mobo is an ASRock Z170 Gaming ITX-AC (reference).

There is a 13-pin header, next to the speaker and chassis intrusion headers, which is not depicted or documented in the motherboard manual. The label next to it says "LPCI", but the google results for that are fairly confusing.

I've circled it in blue in this picture below. Does anybody know what a LPC1 header is?

EDIT: I'm dumb, right after posting I realised it doesn't say "LPCI", it says "LPC1". Googling that explains that it's an Intel Low Pin Count header for legacy devices. Nevermind.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

My GTX 750 Ti is now my bottleneck and I want to overclock it. (It's a Palit StormX Dual, if it matters; I know it won't OC much, but it won't hurt.)

Every guide I've found describes the process of OC'ing such a card like this:

1) Raise the voltage all the way to the maximum allowed (+31 mV)
2) Raise core clock as far as you can without getting instability / artifacts;
3) Repeat step #2, but this time for the memory clock

My OC experience is out of date, but this seems oddly backwards to me. Aren't you supposed to raise the clocks first, and then raise the voltage only in order to make the OC stable (since raising the voltage is what will actually put physical stress on the components)? What am I missing?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Tagra posted:

As a side note, I didn't realize eVGA made PSUs. Are they decent? Normally I buy Corsair but this was on sale with decent reviews and eVGA was always my go-to for video cards. Dumb to ask after buying it but hey

EVGA's PSUs are made by several different OEMs, some are better than others, but to my knowledge none of them are even so much as "average" - they're all pretty good or better.

If you bought a 750W fully modular unit, depending on the specific model it may be anywhere from "very good"(G1 series) to "flat-out one of the best PSUs on the market" (P2 series).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Mikojan posted:

Is there any reason to opt for a modular PSU apart from aesthethics? I have unused cables all over the inside of my case. Do they mess with the airlflow?

It all depends on the case. In a mid-tower or larger, you can just shove the extra cables in an empty drive cage without a second thought. In a small mini-ITX case, installing a non-modular PSU will be extremely painful and maybe impossible.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Is it somehow possible to connect the case's HD AUDIO connector to a USB amplifier?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

e: nm, didn't google hard enough

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

(I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this question, but it's the best I could find.)

If I want a rechargeable AA battery with as much capacity as humanly possible and don't care one bit about any other criteria (lifetime, recharge time, and whatnot), what should I buy? If I just put the biggest mAh numbers into shopping search pages I get weird off-brand batteries whose claims I should probably not trust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Thank you guys!