Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I run a widnows/ubuntu dual bolt on an asus z490 board, and i’m wondering if there is an easier way to boot into either drive. restarting then entering bios to access the boot menu seems inefficient. Can i assign a specific key that i can hit when booting up to launch into a specific drive? e.g hit “u” to boot the ubuntu drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Some Goon posted:

Have it boot into grub?

Didn’t know about that. Thanks for the help!

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
My TP-Link Archer A7 is making GBS threads the bed and refusing to connect to WAN. I was able to hardwire my computer straight to the cable modem, and that works fine. I’ve tried all the recommended fixes, power cycled a million times, swapped cables, etc.

Is there a recommended go-to wireless router goons like?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
My boss’ Western Digital external hdd “isn’t turning on,” and he got a quote from a local shop for $900 to recover it. Seems like a lot, especially because it’s not encrypted.

What can I try myself before sending it off? Any preferred shops that won’t charge as much?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

If your job isn't literally in the realm of doing this stuff I really would be careful about starting to do anything with the drive that might a) damage it and prevent professional recovery 2) be used as an excuse by a recovery team about why they couldn't do their work.

You really don't want to be the person this falls on I would think, unless this is like a small company and this does fit your role. But then you'd already know about shucking drives so I dunno. It's like giving parents financial advice, almost not worth it.

Appreciate it. It’s not my money on the line, so I think i’ll try just finding an alternative vendor to keep my rear end covered