Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Do you have an overclock-capable motherboard? You could pick up a new cooler and get yourself some overclocking headroom out of the deal in addition to saving your CPU from melting, since apparently it's survived the ordeal so far.

If opening up the case helps significantly, consider investing in some more/better case fans also. Both the CPU cooler and the fans will be easy to migrate to a new build anyway, so you might as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, the 6600K is only about a 25% improvement and you'd have to get a whole new motherboard and RAM. There's no pressing reason to replace it for a while unless it bricks itself. Assuming there hasn't been any permanent damage, just get the new cooler, crank up the clock to 4.something and keep on keeping on.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Haledjian posted:

i5-4590, no overclock!

A system with that CPU and a 980 will draw less than 400W, possibly as little as 300W. Your PSU is high quality and will actually output 550W, so you're more than fine.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
We'll find out as soon as independent sources start posting benchmarks.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Geemer posted:

There's USBLogView, but that only shows you what devices you plug/unplug. Maybe ask in the SC/HC short questions thread?

...you mean this thread?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Personally I'm very thankful my new RM550x has finally freed me of having a jungle of useless molex connectors in my case.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Well, first of all, how are you checking the temperature? Make sure it's a real sensor; a lot of utilities will access some useless uncalibrated data and display arbitrary, near-constant temperature readings. If something like HWMonitor is showing you those temperatures under Intel Core i5 6500 > Temperatures > Core #0-#3 then they're likely real. Maybe also check temperatures in BIOS as soon as you start up the computer.

If it's definitely running that hot, something likely went wrong with installing the heatsink. I assume you've checked that the CPU fan is running - remove the cooler, clean the thermal paste off with rubbing alcohol and something that won't leave behind lint, then reapply it (presumably you don't have any handy, this should do) by placing a pea of it on the heat spreader and put the cooler back on.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 9, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I use RealTemp since it was the first thing I found that would put a number in the systray.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Alereon posted:

Unfortunately this doesn't support recent Intel CPUs, so the temperatures may not be accurate (they report the temperature as a distance to max, so you have to know the max to do the math). CoreTemp used to be popular but is malware now. CPUID Hardware Monitor is pretty good. You want to be looking at the CPU Package temperature, which is the highest of the core readings.

The distance to max thing is a setting you can toggle, I have mine set to show the max core temperature. As for recent CPU support, I have an i5-6600K and I cross referenced the temps it reports with HWMonitor, they haven't been off by more than a degree or two so it should be fine.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Alereon posted:

What I'm saying is that the CPU itself reports the distance to the maximum, your temperature monitoring program needs to know what that maximum is to subtract the distance from it to get the current temperature. RealTemp doesn't support anything past Ivy Bridge (3000-series) CPUs, so it doesn't have defaults programmed in for them, so temperatures may be off by 5-15C depending on CPU model.

Ah, alright. I'm probably going to keep it since it's accurate enough for me, but is there anything that's free, officially supports Skylake CPUs and can display temp in systray? That last feature in particular is why I sought out something other than HWMonitor.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 9, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

future ghost posted:

HWiNFO64 has systray sensor options. Not sure how the Skylake support is but they update it constantly.

This is pretty good! Thanks.

EDIT: My only complaint is that it puts its own little icon in the systray in addition to the sensor displays. Not a dealbreaker but is there an option I'm missing to remove it?

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 10, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

future ghost posted:

I don't think you can remove it, but couldn't you simply hide the icon and notifications from the system tray icon settings in Windows?

Yeah, I just do that with almost every systray icon so I didn't want the sub-menu where I put everything but volume/language/sensors to get any more crowded than it absolutely needs to be. Not a big deal either way.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
It doesn't say that if I just add the two parts alone. Can you link the build?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, the one you put into PCPartPicker is for LGA 2011 sockets, found on X-series motherboards. The one you have will work fine for an LGA 1151 CPU like the 6700K. (the mounting mechanism is the same for 1156/1155/1150/1151)

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Grog posted:

Are all 1155/1156 coolers supposed to work with 1151 motherboards? I have an original Silver Arrow that I got around the time I bought my 2500K, and Thermalright posted on their website that they made a free "support spacer" for use with coolers over 500g on Skylake systems because of possible deformation from the weight/pressure. I'm not sure if I'll even be upgrading to an 1151 system within the next year, but maybe I should try to pick up one of those spacers just in case.

There was some sort of minor scandal about old coolers cracking Skylake CPUs but I don't know if it ever came out whether the CPUs actually couldn't handle the weight or if people just screwing them in too hard / manhandling systems with heavy heatsinks. A few manufacturers like Arctic just posted "Nope, our coolers don't have this problem" so if Thermalright is acting like theirs might (and it does seem like an exceptionally huge one), then you might as well play it safe and get the spacer.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 28, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
To clarify, quad channel refers to a kind of high bandwidth memory setup that's exclusive to enthusiast and server motherboards which have a different socket than the LGA 1151 used by normal Skylake CPUs like the 6700K. Only CPUs that slot into those motherboards, like the 5820K or the 6800K, support quad channel memory. You couldn't possibly get a CPU that supports quad channel memory with a motherboard that doesn't or vice-versa, they're physically incompatible.

If you just mean getting a motherboard with four RAM slots, then the answer is yes unless you have a good reason not to. The only motherboards with two RAM slots are cheapo models, mini-ITX form factor, or overpriced overclocking-focused beasts like ASRock's OC Formula series. Four sticks of RAM will run in dual channel mode on a normal motherboard.

For the RAM itself, there are memory kits that claim to be optimized for quad channel operation but they're not actually a different kind of RAM, they'll run just fine in dual channel mode.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I've never seen HWMonitor report anything but a constant or near-constant nonsensical value for those sensors.