Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'll just cross post this from Games:

Professor Shark posted:

Well I was hoping that when I got FC4 I would be able to play it then read through the thread, but it is running pretty badly on my computer after installing it yesterday and it's really saddening to me how it's performance is making me not eager to play it.

I tried it without downloading the latest patch first and it was certifiably unplayable with the Mouse Acceleration. After patching it I still have trouble with what I believe is called "micro stuttering"... when I'm running I feel like I go two or three paces and then stop for a quick second, for example. The entire thing runs very "choppy", even though FC3 ran seamlessly.

Here is some of my computer info, I guess I'm wondering if I need to upgrade to make it work better. I'm guessing I do, so what would be the most cost effective way of doing it?

The Crusher posted:

I'll just mention this since I didn't see you mention it, but I had some really bad issues with FC4 when I first booted up; Everything had Depth of Field blur at the worst times, things were choppy, etc. The instant fix was just updating my Nvidia drivers. Have you done that recently? If not, give it a shot.

Professor Shark posted:

I haven't- would the GeForce GT 530 count under their 500 Series?

I downloaded the 500 Series Driver update (347.09-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe), is that the right one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

Yes, the GT 530 is a 500 series card, and yes, 347.09 is the current newest driver, and yes, you've selected the correct package for your OS.

The GT 530 is a real hog, both at the time it was launched and especially now. Updated drivers may smooth out gameplay, but you'd probably need a graphics upgrade to make it really fluid and pretty and whatnot.

Nuts. What would you recommend to me, a really-not-smart-at-computers-guy, so I don't have to gaze into the Futureshop guys eyes as they cartoonishly turn into dollar signs?

Edit: Also, thanks for the quick response!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

Futureshop's pricing is criminal, but this is the fastest card you can get in the balls-simple range: http://m.futureshop.ca/defaultpage.aspx?lang=en#/catalog/productdetails.aspx?ajax=true&sku=10297924&lang=en-CA

If you can wait on Newegg, get this one instead: http://m.newegg.ca/Product/index?itemnumber=14-487-025

Either way, just uninstall your graphics drivers from the control panel, shut down the PC and swap the new card for the old, then start up and install new drivers from nvidia.com.

I think I'm going to take the plunge on this, maybe even try to do it myself. Expect frantic, :siren: heavy posts itt in a few months!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Not sure if this is the right thread, but it seems like it fits:

I just got my computer back from the shop after it got infected with Malware.

I've changed my passwords, ordered a new credit card, but now I'm worried about my External Hard Drive having a virus on it and I don't want to plug it in.

What should I do to ensure it is Malware free?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I downloaded a bunch of radio programs off archive.org and now my Downloads File (where I throw everything, 19gb) crashes and says NOT RESPONDING when I try to open it.

Did I gently caress up my computer?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I deleted a ton of Sherlock Holmes radio programs after running a Windows Virus scan and CCleaner and it appears to be working now :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My father in law wants a new computer and my wife wants to buy one for him. She plans on spending $1000 CAD, however this computer will mainly be used for clicking on pop ups and accumulating malware, so I feel that something in the lower price range would be more suitable. Is there a good prebuilt computer for ~$500 CAD?