Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
My HTPC wouldn't boot because the SSD was not showing up at all. It's a new build and had been running fine for a week. I unplugged and replugged the data cable, and made sure both ends of the power cable were secure. It then booted fine. Is there a most likely culprit in this type of situation? The cables all seemed secure before I reseated them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Alereon posted:

What SSD and motherboard?
gigabyte g1 sniper z97 and ocz arc 100 240gb

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Rexxed posted:

Is it too late to return both?

No. Returning the motherboard would be a huge hassle though. e: How big a risk do you think keeping the mobo is? If I switch out the ssd if it failed again quickly I may still have time.

Germstore fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 9, 2015

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Rexxed posted:

I'm mostly being an rear end in a top hat about your component choices because both gigabyte motherboards and OCZ SSDs are pretty bad. They should work, however, and if either is bad I'd assume there'll be an RMA available.
It's probably the SSD but there's really no way to be certain unless it happens more often and gives you an opportunity to troubleshoot. Check the smart data of the SSD with Crystal Disk Info just to be sure there's nothing that stands out:
http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html
You want the standard edition, pick portable so you don't have to opt-out of adware with the installer version.

Thanks. I'll try that tool. I knew OCZ has a bad rep, but I thought gigabyte was top tier.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

About a week ago I posted:

Germstore posted:

My HTPC wouldn't boot because the SSD was not showing up at all. It's a new build and had been running fine for a week. I unplugged and replugged the data cable, and made sure both ends of the power cable were secure. It then booted fine. Is there a most likely culprit in this type of situation? The cables all seemed secure before I reseated them.
gigabyte g1 sniper z97 and ocz arc 100 240gb
Today the PC won't even post. I switched out the PSU, still wouldn't post. Switched out the ram for a stick from my other machine. It boots to desktop fine. But then I try other combinations, just one of the sticks, then the other, and sometimes it posts sometimes it doesn't even if it booted with that stick before. Then I put in the stick from the desktop that originally works, and it won't post. Am I correct in thinking it can't be anything besides the motherboard? Should I switch out the SSD to be sure?

Edit: I switched out the SSD, and then it booted, but I restarted and it didn't boot again. Why would it boot occassionally?

Germstore fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

It's not even posting dependably. Out of maybe 20 attempts it only posted like 3 times.

edit: now it's not posting at all. I reset the CMOS and removed it from the case in case it was a short. Is dead I think.

Germstore fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 17, 2015