Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I plugged in a molex to sata adapter backwards. I thought they were keyed to make that impossible but apparently not. Now a previously working drive and the new drive I was trying to add won't spin up. My ssd and a third mechanical drive that were in the system still work. Only the two drives I plugged into the molex to sata adapter won't power up. The drives are garbage now right? Nothing to try short of trying to get a new pcb for the hd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hipster_Doofus posted:

They are. Did it require a lot of force? Are one of the connectors really worn out or non-standard somehow?

Molex backward means something that wants 5v got 12v. Ouch. Some devices might be able to tolerate that briefly, but drive electronics are pretty delicate I would think. The outlook is pretty bad, but can you spot any obviously fried component(s) on the pcbs?

No, I didn't smell any smoke or hear any arcing. It was a peaceful death. The molex to sata cable fits both ways with the same amount of force. I wasn't paying close enough attention obviously but I wrongly assumed it would only fit one way. My reward for buying the cheapest cable I could find.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is culprit http://a.co/8TmG0NB

I was trying to install a shucked external western digital 8TB drive internally and it was the newest model drive with 3.3 volt shut down. That's why I was using the molex to sata.

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 7, 2018

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Well, that is keyed correctly. If what you bought looks exactly like what's in the picture, then the culprit is surely the other half, on the psu side. Does that connector have 4 truncated corners? :psyduck: If not, the plastic on what you bought must be incredibly flimsy.

My evga power supply has molex terminators that are small enough to fit into the adapter interchangeably. Wasn't any harder getting it in the wrong direction than the right one that matched the wire colors. The adapter end may be slightly too large also.

Puddin posted:

Have you tried running them on a different rail to see if you've just fried the rail on the power supply? Another thing would be to get an external enclosure and plug the drives i to see if they are still working.

I'll give it a shot. The new drive wouldn't work with the enclosure I have but I should try the older drive that seems dead. The power supply isn't modular. Pretty sure it has one other molex and sata extension though.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I recently bought a laptop with a 1050 ti graphics card. It runs nicely when plugged in but it's slower on the battery alone. Is there some setting I'm not seeing that controls graphics power on battery vs plugged in? The specific app I'm experiencing problems with is retroarch. Atari 2600 or NES emulation runs like poo poo on battery power for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks, I tried the usual settings in power management. Turned out to be "battery boost" in the geforce experience killing retroarch performance. Didn't realize there was a setting in that mostly useless program for the battery.