Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bioshuffle posted:

I've always been told that those thin surge protector strips won't do anything if your house gets struck by lightning. As such, I've always unplugged my computer devices during a thunderstorm. A friend of mine recently told me surge protectors make it unnecessary to unplug anything.

Who is right?

Surge protectors won't do poo poo if a lightning bolt makes it into your power lines, even if they blow a fuse it'll just jump the gap. Fortunately your house and the power system have safeguards to stop that from happening; if it hits your house directly the lightning rods will just shunt it directly to ground, and the power system has components in place to stop such massive surges across the lines so a very specific combination of things all outside your control need to happen for lightning strikes to have a chance to damage anything. I still unplug my things in especially nasty storms but that's mostly habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

DreadCthulhu posted:

What are the more reputable gaming pre-built PC vendors out there in 2020? I'm looking for an upgrade since my 2017 HP Omen, which has worked pretty well for me actually, but could use a refresher when the GTX 3080 comes out and stops being sold out. Is there one that stands out above the rest? I'm not really interested in extreme customization or a cool case, I just want the latest 2020 internals for gaming. iBuyPower? Alienware? HP? CyberPowerPC? Acer? Corsair? Tons of options out there.

It's all commodity hardware, as long as it's not some weird-rear end case that kills thermals. But also what the guy above said.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Second question, given that prebuilts always come with some unfortunate shortcomings (in the case of the above, slow ram, sub-par storage [though more forgivable in 2017] and a mediocre PSU.), why not spend the 1-2 hours to build one and actually get the latest and greatest, or more likely pay a local pc shop to put the components together?

As long as it's a standard ATX PSU & Mobo, I don't know if HP does the Dell/Alienware fuckery on that front, you should be able to upgrade in place, possibly with a new psu. It's a common opinion that the 750w rec from Nvidia is a worst case thing on the psu front, but there are no benchmarks yet. By the time of general availability we'll know for sure what's needed.

If you live near a Microcenter, their on-house PowerSpec line of prebuilts are quality things using better parts than most and with a smaller markup. Most any name brand prebuilt is going to be limited to some degree by cost cutting measures they expect people who aren't parts nerds not to pick up on.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The pc parts thread is happy to pick components for you given a budget and resolution, and a local computer shop, assuming you have one, will be happy to put it together for you for probably less than hp/dell/etc charges above cost; once you've done it a few times its actually pretty quick. Or like, the nerdy neighbor kid.

But your current build is fine overall. Once we have hard numbers on power draw it'll be easy to see if it's a drop-in kinda deal.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

DreadCthulhu posted:

What do people use to benchmark their builds in a way that helps them understand if given their hardware, it's performing anywhere close to optimally? Context: I was looking at Linus' video on rating premade PC vendors and he was doing something to benchmark the pc under load and see if the CPU was turboing up correctly, if the GPU was doing its thing, if the cooling was correctly reacting to the higher temperature generation and so forth. Please advise.

Short answer is whatever game you're playing, if it's hitting the expected fps given the parts reviews than it's fine. You can use hwinfo or afterburner to keep an eye on temps.

With prebuilts the question is 'did they gently caress something up somewhere' given that it's supposed to be an out-of-the-box experience. If you built your own, installed the cooler properly, and turned on XMP, it's not really something to worry about.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Spaseman posted:

Are there any better options than canned air that are cheaper and simpler than buying a full air compressor?

I've heard that compressors can spray moisture, but idk how prevalent a problem that is. What do you need so much canned air for anyways?

Fwiw I just use q-tips to clean my fans.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Blackfyre posted:

Is there a good thread for speakers etc, I couldn't see it. Just wondering what are the recommendations for new PC speakers now, looking to update my old Logitech THX 2.1 z2300s setup for a newer one. Its been good but is kinda battered now and not sure what people recommend for the money now - I'm in the UK so think my options differ slightly from US.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444077

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Unless you find a killer sale, and they do happen, you'll be paying a couple hundred bucks over parts cost and will have to deal with less flashy items like the mobo and psu being cheaped out on across the board. Microcenters house brand PowerSpec often has a much more reasonable markup, but you have to be near one and still lose out on the benefits of component selection. Better just to do it yourself; buy a nice roomy case and you'll have dealt with the hardest part.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Constant paranoia. Crystal DiskInfo will give you it's S.M.A.R.T. data which will let you know if it's detecting problems, but drives are perfectly capable of failing without reporting any S.M.A.R.T. issues. 3 years isn't long enough I'd be concerned, but anything important should be backed up from day 1.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

NVMe typically runs at x4, don't worry about it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

NVMes benefits are really only seen at higher queue depths which you aren't likely to encounter in consumer workloads, you need very large transfers to take advantage of them. But there really isn't a price premium so mise.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

NotNut posted:

I need to get more RAM and I'm not sure what kind I need. This is what I got last time

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232181

Should I just order more of that? Is there a better brand? What does the CAS latency thing mean? My processor is a Ryzen 5 3600

If your motherboard isn't a mini-itx board buying more of the same is probably your best option. You could also buy a 2x16 kit and resell what you have but that will most likely be more expensive. CAS latency describes the speed of one of it's internal processes. 3200/16 ram like you have is fine.

Whadaya need it for, if you don't mind me asking?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

NotNut posted:

I have a lot of programs open at once including games. 16GB just isn't enough for me. will it work if I buy the same thing but a different brand? this here looks nicer

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0143UM4TC/

It's only guaranteed to work if it comes as one kit, but any combination will probably work. Getting more of the same is possibly better on this front but honestly it doesn't come up enough for me to know for sure.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Is there any reasonable / affordable way to convert a powered usb hub to connect to a pc via like bluetooth? Or existing product that does such?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

fishhooked posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a tablet? Will be primarily using it to stream movies. Prefer non iOS, limited bloatware, and good battery life

Didn't see any thread so apologies if I missed it

There's a tablet thread in IYG, but their usual recommendation is to get an ipad anyways, unless something has changed recently.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Spermando posted:

I have this laptop and I've just started doing video editing. It works fine, but the guy who sends me the videos says I should install an SSD. I have no experience opening computers and changing parts. Do I have to get rid of the laptop's HDD or can I have both running at the same time? Will it work with this SSD?

The only hits I'm getting for that particular model are romance language sellers, and Acer's website for the broader product line isn't useful, but given that it has a 2.5" drive I would assume that the drive needs to be replaced entirely, and with a 2.5", not an M.2 drive like you have there. Still, you should open it up and confirm before buying anything, the storage should be fairly easy to access.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

ihatepants posted:

I’m finally upgrading my motherboard and cpu from socket LGA 1151 and i5-6600k to an AM4 (x570 mobo) and 5800x.

Do I have to reinstall Windows 10? I’m getting mixed answers from a google search. If so, how do I make sure I don’t lose any files?

You don't have to. You can, it may or may not be a good idea. I'm a pave-centrc person but lots of people have reported switching with no issues.

Back them up to an external, or put them on a seperate partition from your install but even then I'd back them up off externally.

Honestly though, try doing it without reinstalling and go from there. It'll probably just work and if for whatever reason it doesn't boot make an ubuntu flash drive and pull off any important files.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Reportedly 4/8 chips are struggling with cyberpunk so if that's on the menu you'll probably want to aim higher.

E:vvvv okay, reportedly everything's struggling, but 4/8 especially so.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 12, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Has anyone ordered anything from monoprice recently? I put in an order last Friday and still haven't gotten a shipping notice. They've got notices shipping is slow but a whole week seems long, wondering how others' experience has been.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Thanks y'all. I suppose I ought just cough up the $10-15 microcenter wants for a DP cable, even though that's the total of my entire monoprice order.

Tangential question, what's the cost to produce of a DP cable vs a HDMI one? It makes sense that HDMI is the more common pack-in since it's so much more common, but is that the only reason or are they cheaper as well?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Are USB Female to Firewire Male adapters a thing that exists? Everything I can find, quite understandably, goes the other way.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Head Bee Guy posted:

I run a widnows/ubuntu dual bolt on an asus z490 board, and i’m wondering if there is an easier way to boot into either drive. restarting then entering bios to access the boot menu seems inefficient. Can i assign a specific key that i can hit when booting up to launch into a specific drive? e.g hit “u” to boot the ubuntu drive.

Have it boot into grub?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I managed to get my hands on a new 3080 GPU, woo! But now I've spent my entire day worrying about my power supply. I have this:
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/txm-series-2017-config/p/CP-9020130-NA

Right now I run a 1080Ti which is connected to the top PCI-E port with a daisy chain to provide an 8pin and 6pin connection (with a dangling +2). What I'll need for the 3080 is 3x8pin, which I understand is OK to run from 1 daisy chain (2x6+2) and another 6+2 from another PCIE. But, the labeling on the PSU confused me. The PCI-E and the "4x4 CPU" look identical. I assume this is what 'semi modular' means, but I'm a hardware moron and I'm worried that that bottom 8pin port is somehow different even though the pin 'shapes' look identical. Are the top and bottom 8-pin ports the same?

I both read and had a friend tell me that the difference between CPU and PCIE was the pin-out, and as long as I use the correct cable, this is OK and that using that port is fine, but now I'm paranoid over $900 of hardware that isn't easy to get in the first place.

Semi-modular just means the 24pin is hardwired while the rest is detachable. The cpu port is not a PCIe port, don't use it as such. Use two, or ideally three pcie ports. You also need the cpu port to power your cpu so it's not like it should be available.

E: that's some odd labeling. Im guessing the wires are labeled in this case and will provide the correct pinout at the receiving end.

EE: ok, it has a hardwired cpu cable.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 27, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Anime Store Adventure posted:

So, the CPU is powered by cabling that comes out of a sleeve from the PSU itself. That port in the power supply isn't used. Is the bottom 8-pin port a CPU port? There are no other PCIe cables from the 'sleeve' out of the PSU.

I'm glad its not just me.

Looking over reviews they both should be fine for PCIe. I don't but wonder if they're using the same case for a different model with multiple cpu cables or somesuch.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Narzack posted:

I have the 2015 new 3DS XL. Does anyone know where the wifi card is located? Google only shows me the original model

Next to the cartridge slot.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo+3DS+XL+Motherboard+Replacement/25399

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Narzack posted:

That's the old model, I have the new3DS, mine doesn't look like that one. My battery is on the left side and the cartridge slot is on the bottom of the unit.

Whoops. Looks like the WiFi is integrated onto the motherboard, as best I can make out these pictures on a phone.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+3DS+XL+2015+Teardown/36346

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Feral Integral posted:

Any recommends on a decent computer chair in the 100-200 range? Doesn't have to be fancy, just something moderately comfortable that's not going to crap out on me, especially the pneumatic lifter piston thing that has been the end of my last two chairs. I'd prefer something moderately tall-backed for my extra long torso

There's a chair thread, but I'm fairly sure they'll tell you any chair in that price range is crap.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

General_Failure posted:

I realised that my computer is roughly ten years old. How slowly it runs some software made me aware of it. Usually I replace hardware when it fails. But nothing has, so I haven't.

I burned out on PC hardware a long time ago and have no idea what's current-ish. I'd be looking to assemble something cheap and cheerful from used and new parts and I'm in no hurry.

Can someone point me to a resource where I can find out what's what?

It's a bit beyond the scope of my question, but I think my main requirements are good virtualisation support, recent CUDA version support, USB3, decent SATA speed, and support for a fairly large amount of RAM.

PC building thread, it's stickied. The OPs a little out of date though, just post the template.

Getting any gpu right now is an absolute shitshow though. Hope you like discord.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Depends on the architecture.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Said CPUs were a generation behind and on a different process than the then newest one. Since they weren't topping any charts they had to be priced very competitively to move. Now current gen and current gen-1 CPUs are on the same process so they're directly competing for fab capacity, which is AMD's limiting factor right now. Therefore, the N-1 CPUs aren't being made like they were before (if at all), and they're more performant than the N-2 CPUs that were the dirt cheap ones, so they don't need as much of a price cut to sell. For a brief while there were things being sold as N-3 CPUs that were actually N-2 CPUs but for whatever reason they still had to put out "first-gen" parts, and you could get them for like half the price of the identical but differently branded version.

Plus all the shortages 'n' poo poo.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Dual rank (distinct from dual channel) can improve things on AMD boards, I assume Intel will behave similarly, but only in CPU bound scenarios. It is generally harder to overclock 4 sticks than 2 but I don't know if that matters at all if you're not doing extreme OC.

Probably not something worth worrying about, unless you know your ram needs are going to increase dramatically before ram prices come back down.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Whizzing Wizard posted:

This probably a silly qustion,

is it okay to put a fan that is marked as being a cabinet fan on a cpu cooler?

I have a Hyp212 cpu cooler and am considering replacing the fan, I just need a 120mm fan right? I assume Noctua is the way to go, but maybe I'll get something stupid with RGB?

suggestions welcome on what fan to get.

Also, might replace the 140mm fan at the back of the case, so suggestions welcome there as well, might make more sense to put some silly lights there I guess.

Fans are fans (w/r/t use case), if it fits it blows. Noctua are held to be the best but fan models are not something I've dug into.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

petit choux posted:

Yes, you are right, I used a counterfeit app. I cannot believe I am so stupid god dammit

Happened to my dad a while back, got a phony support site for his isp. They can be pretty convincing. As said above it's more likely an attempt to sell you phoney software than install a virus, though a wipe is never a bad idea. Chalk it up to a lesson learned and never let a third party connect to your computer.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

What's the proper way to dispose of a PSU?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It was dirt cheap when it was new a decade ago, those caps aren't going anywhere.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I went on a quest a while back to determine if surge protectors are actually necessary, given that none of them are rated to stand up lightning, and both the power grid and your house are set up to prevent surges from lightning getting into the house. My conclusion was 'probably not unless you live somewhere with shoddy power (i.e. prone to brownouts or whatnot)' but getting actionable information was basically impossible. I did find some sources suggesting the majority of the damage from non-catastrophic surges would be inflicted upon / absorbed by power supplies.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Rolo posted:

I’m in a large new building in a big city where the power has never even flickered in a storm. When the lightning struck, hurting my ears and making my entire apartment go white, the damage was immediate. My neighbor lost their modem too and the guy below me lost some stuff he uses for his fish tank.

It was 100% a direct result of lightning.

Lightning'll do that in unlucky situations, but surges that large will overwhelm a surge protectors protection immediately and jump any gaps from blown components, they're just not designed for that kind of thing.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Rolo posted:

So just say oh well and try to unplug my poo poo when storms come through?

I mean this is the first time in my entire life I’ve had lightning bork something so if the answer is to not really do anything I’m cool with that.

It's about all you can do, though I really only bother when it's a real nasty one. The power grid is set up to handle getting hit by lightning, so it has to hit close enough that the grid can't deal with it but far enough that whatever lightning protection, if any, your building has doesn't ground the whole thing, so actual lightning damage is rare, though as you've experienced not impossible.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It's got a 10 year warranty, unless it didn't 7 years ago. If you haven't been running it full tilt all that time it's probably fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

E: nevermind, not going to risk it

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 28, 2021