Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

This isn't just a hardware issue, but I'm not seeing a better place to ask so I hope it's not too bad to post here.

My external HDD fell on the floor while writing the other day, and now I'm looking to save what data I can (it's already painfully slow and having obvious bad sector issues. with the surface scan showing an approximate 90 hours to finish). I have a couple of USB drives, total capacity of 32 GB, and I hope I'll be able to salvage more when I have the replacement drive here.
Is there a utility that will allow me to pick what folders I want to save to the USB drives, without accessing the drive itself via Windows Explorer, since it is being incredibly slow? I mostly want to save some stuff for university, some hard-to-find stuff, etc. I have used R-Tools in the past to salvage a good portion of a previous drive, but I'm not sure if it had that functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rexxed posted:

I've had good luck with Roadkil's unstoppable copier on a sd card and also a hard disk that was developing bad sectors as it was used (freezer trick):
http://www.roadkil.net/program.php/P29/Unstoppable%20Copier

If you're not ready to copy your stuff off of your disk yet turn it off to prevent further damage; just being on could be destroying it as you've most likely had a head hit the platter, which not only damages both but pollutes the inside of the drive with bits of stuff. They're built in a clean room environment to extremely tight tolerances and don't like random stuff rattling around inside them.

Seems to be working, I set it to copy my main university folder and it's making progress. Thank you very much. :)
As for keeping it on... I know I should turn it off, but I'm afraid that if I do, the PC will never recognize it again and lose everything. At least I haven't been actively accessing it outside of scanning/trying to copy. Going to have to look into the freezer trick tomorrow, even if I don't need it, I don't suppose it could hurt to know it's there, but I don't think I have any bags right now anyway.

VV: I know, I tell my folks to back their data up, but I'm a big old idiot when it comes to that. Do as I say, not as I do and all that. :v: Hell I could have put some important stuff on Dropbox. That'll teach me I suppose.
Roadkil has already moved half a gig of data, so I'm feeling better about this thing already, and I have a replacement lined up already (WD Caviar Black 2TB, no need for an external drive).
As for the freezer trick, I hope I don't need it, but thanks for the advice. :)

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 24, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

A bit of an update on my drive situation, today it won't let me in the drive at all. I got the replacement HDD, no issues there, but the external is getting stuck at 'loading', it won't even show how much space is used (it got to that point yesterday, that's how I got the more important stuff via Roadkil's). Currently I'm trying to get R-Studio to do anything to the external, but it's being hell, with the drive plugged in it won't open, and after I take it out and it opens, when I put it back in, it fails when I click Scan or Refresh.

Actually, should I move this to the Haus of Tech Support instead? I'm sorry to be pestering the thread.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rexxed posted:

All of the drive scanning and stuff you were doing to the drive was causing more damage. If it mounts at all just use roadkil's to try to get data off of it. Just being powered on is likely destroying sectors so you have a limited window to recover anything. You can try the freezer trick but don't expect miracles, sometimes it can just let you get 10-20 minutes of mostly good copies after 12 hours of freezer time which is a pretty bad ratio.

:sigh:
Well, that's the same answer I got in the Haus as well, so it's good to know I'm not just being pessimistic. Going to try the freezer trick today and hope I get it to work, to salvage what I can, thanks again for the input. On the bright side, some of the files I want to save most are plain .txt ones, so at least those can survive.