Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

-snip not the right place-

Qubee fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My bad, I'll snip the post. I figured it was a short enough question to ask.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've got a PS3 controller and have been using SCP Driver package. I've had an absolute nightmare with it. It works flawlessly at times, but will randomly poo poo the bed and refuse to work no matter what I do.

Is there a better program I can get to use my PS3 controller on my PC?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Geoj posted:

What kind of Bluetooth receiver are you using?

That almost sounds like the device momentarily losing communication with the computer, and if you have a $5 Amazon special I could see that being the cause.

Oh, it's not bluetooth. It's a wired connection. My PC doesn't have bluetooth.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Skarsnik posted:

Treat yourself to a dualshock 4, they work really well on PC and a lot of games even have support built in

Ds3 on a PC has always been a hack at best

Is DS4 a simple plug-and-play kind of deal, or is there some janky software I'll need to download for that as well?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've had really bad luck with xbox controllers. The bumpers break within a week of normal use. That's £20 wasted and I end up left with a semi-functional controller. PS controllers seem a lot more resilient.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Skarsnik posted:

Yes and no

A lot of steam stuff works already just plugging in, so do a selection of non steam things like the asscreeds

Anything else and ds4windows is the software you need, it does actually work though and all it really does it tell the computer it's an Xbox controller

If you're feeling super swish, there's an official dongle to connect it wirelessly

Xbox controllers are truly plug and play yes, but if you're not a fan of the controller then it's not much good

I think I'll just do that, then. The worst thing about SCP Toolkit is that it'll sometimes override a game's controls to controller scheme, mainly noticeable in PUBG: if I die, I'm unable to spectate because there's no spectate button, just "Press A to exit to lobby". Even if the controller is unplugged!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I bought an ethernet cable that I run from my router in the living room to my PC in the office. It has to go under two doors, both of which don't have much clearance to allow it to fit nicely. Pretty much every time I close a door, it's a bit tight and there's some friction on the outer plastic sheathing between the bottom of the door and the floor.

Will this cause damage over time, or are ethernet cables tough bastards that can withstand a door opening / closing against it over time? I'm worried one day I'll close the door and break the wires inside the sheathing.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Unfortunately it's a rented apartment, so I can't go and modify things, else the landlady will be unhappy and probably try and make me buy brand new doors. I bought the flat ethernet cables hoping they'd be thin enough, but the clearance underneath the doors is still far too tight (they've got raised little slats of wood on the bottom of the door frame, so the door and frame sit flush, it's weird).

I'll try and MacGyver the wire in such a way so it manages to squeeze through alright. It's just a pain in the rear end cause I've been using clear tape to hold it in place as I can't drill brackets into the wall to hold it. Cheers for the answer. I'm not too worried now that I know it takes a good long while to do much damage.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Gromit posted:

You could probable sand the bottom of the door back just a little so that no-one would even know, but that means taking the door down. But maybe your answer is those "ethernet over power" things so you don't have to run a cable at all?

I had a powerline adapter, but they're not great if you can actually have a wired connection. I get 90Mbps over a powerline adapter, but a full 250Mbps with a wired connection. I was using the powerline adapter for a year before I realised it was really throttling my internet connection.

Unrelated question: I want to buy a GTX 1070TI. I was unaware they were out, and had been waiting months for them. Turns out I missed out on getting one during the Black Friday sale. Is it worth my while waiting until Christmas to nab one during a Christmas sale, or does that not really happen? When would be the next best time to buy one at a discounted price? Or should I just bite the bullet and get one now, if the discount would only be like £20 or something.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 29, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

teagone posted:

Were you using a gigabit powerline adapter?

Yeah. I chalked it up to the wiring in the house being very old and dated or something.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

why has there been a slow and gradual price increase for RAM? I remember when you could get 16GB for around £80, but now they're disgustingly expensive. Is it something to do with cryptomining pushing the price up or what?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

drat that really sucks, all those years I kept seeing ram for dirt cheap and not upgrading cause I didn't need to, and now I need to badly upgrade and it's 200% more expensive

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Figured this is the best place to ask, or be redirected to the correct thread (which I can't find for the life of me, searched pages manually and used search the forums):

I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50X, the padding on both the earpads and headband are getting really gross. They're flaking off and when I get off the PC, I'll have a bunch of black flecks on my head from where it has rubbed off whilst I've been on the PC. Where on earth can I get decent replacement pads / headband?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

why on earth did I manage to sell my GTX970 that I bought in 2015 for £200 when I bought it for £280? after Amazon's cut, I get £186 total, which is pretty insane and doesn't make much sense. Cost me £100 to own this decent card for two years, why would someone buy a used 970 for £200?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Rexxed posted:

Cryptocurrency mining has inflated GPU prices.

so most likely the guy buying it is just gonna use it to mine crypto? or is he legit just some misinformed poor guy who thinks £200 for a 2 year old used GTX970 is a good deal? cause drat, he could save up another £200 and have a 1070ti or something...

I'd never buy a used GPU cause you have no idea how it was treated by the previous owner. I've treat mine well but yikes, I feel like a scumbag for getting away with selling it so high.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The guy buying it is definitely a miner. He said he doesn't care about it not coming in it's original packaging, as long as it works. And he asked if I'll provide the PCIE cables, which makes me think he's got a mining rig and is trying to nab a few free cables. I told him it doesn't come with PCIE cables, as that would require me giving him my own cables that belong to my PSU.

how poo poo is my RAM? I went on my Amazon orders page to see when I bought it, but it turns out this RAM is from 2008 or something as I didn't order it online, and I can only have carried it over from some basic crappy Dell computer I had as a kid around 2008. JFC

Qubee fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 4, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

TheFluff posted:

Looks like pretty ordinary DDR3-1333 to me. Beyond being fairly old at this point there's not much wrong with it really, as far as I know. What CPU are you using it with?

i5-4670k

I'm pretty sure it's starting to become faulty. RAM usage is always really high even if I don't have much open, and stuff that requires RAM (CAD software, games that use a lot of RAM) causes my entire system to really start chugging

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My PC refuses to turn on after changing a GTX970 to a GTX560 Ti. It powers on, fans whir for 1 second, then the PC shuts down. It repeats ad infinitum. What have I bonked up? The PC was working fine a few hours ago when I had the GTX970 plugged in. Literally the only thing I've changed is the GPU to a 560 Ti.

I've got the Z97 Pro Motherboard, and afaik it's compatible with the 560 Ti

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 6, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Sniep posted:

I'd presume you've removed it again, blew out the socket with canned air, cleaned the connector on the card, reseated and such yes?

Sounds like a short somewhere on the motherboard, possibly not seated correctly, or the PSU miraculously gave up the ghost in between the swap. GPU power connected correctly? etc?

It's a power issue is what i'm trying to say here

Update to the Update! it was the loving RAM. I hadn't properly seated it. This ALWAYS gets me. I spent hours trying to figure out what's wrong, thinking every component is busted, then I realise I haven't pushed the RAM in hard enough.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 7, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

sold my GPU and am using a lovely 560Ti to tide me over until I get a new GPU. most modern games push this thing to run at 90c nonstop, the fan spins so loud that I thought for the longest time it was lorries outside my apartment (I live near a big supermarket, so am used to hearing lorries pull up and make a tonne of noise). took my headphones off and realised it was my GPU, opened up GPU-Z and it showed the fans running at 80% and the temp hitting 90-92c

am I alright to push it this hard or will it conk out if I keep it up?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

if it's a privacy thing, I just took a hammer to my laptop hard drive and smashed it up good, then took the entire laptop to my recycling centre to dispose of it. knew for a fact that no one would be able to recover the hard drive and do stuff with it.

if it's because you want to reuse the hard drive, then I've got no idea. laptops are alien to me. nothing makes sense with them.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I bought a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 for £569.99, how dicked did I get on price?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dead Goon posted:

They have been cheaper and they have also been more expensive.

Back before this mining shitfest (that has completely skewed prices as of late), what was the normal baseline price for a 1080? It's hard to find cause MSRP is set at one thing but then I don't know how to look back at price trendlines.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What fans would you recommend for a Fractal R4 case? I've been using stock fans all these years, but want to buy more to keep temps low. I was thinking of getting 2x Noctua NF-A14, one as an intake and one as an exhaust. Thoughts?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

HalloKitty posted:

Noctuas aren't cheap, but it's hard to go wrong with them. My define r3 is filled to the brim with Noctuas.

I bought two, and they're incredible. I had one on the front as an intake, and one on the top as an exhaust, and the cool air it blows out the top is enough to make me feel chilly as it blows out from under my desk.

I bought a 1080 and as far as I could tell, it only had 1 8 pin power connector. Is that normal? I'm used to my old GPU that needed two 8 pin connections to power it. I mean, everything's running fine, so I guess we're good?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks for explaining it. I'd plugged everything in and then realised there might be another power connector on the side of the GPU, but I couldn't be arsed taking everything out again to check. It powered up alright, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't unintentionally throttling it by not plugging it in properly.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Hipster_Doofus posted:

The other side? Like, facing the motherboard? Definitely not.

No, not facing the motherboard. There's a connector on the top of the card, and I was wondering if there might be another on the right hand side of the card. But I couldn't check as clearance is very low and I'd forgot to look before plugging it in.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

That's awesome, makes my life so much easier. It's also my first time ever having a modular PSU, they're the pinnacle of human achievement.

Final question and I'll quit janking up the thread: should my CPU cooler fan be DC controlled or PWM controlled? I have the option of picking both.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I tried (and failed) to overclock my CPU multiple times. my PC wouldn't boot windows. closest I got was the Windows Logo and the loading spinning wheel, then I'd BSOD or crash. I decided to try it out as I'm getting a new CPU and figured it'd be a good learning opportunity with not much risk. that being said, since attempting to overclock, my PC has been hella slow and laggy. things take longer to load, opening Spotify or Steam or Chrome tabs is quite laggy.

is this due to the overclocking attempts?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Rexxed posted:

No, it shouldn't be. If you turn off the settings you bumped up for overclocking it should be no different than before. Long term high voltages can damage CPUs due to electromigration but just trying an OC and reverting shouldn't have any long term effects. It could be entirely software like windows doing background updates, but I don't know. I'd look at your task manager performance tab when trying to do things that feel slow and see if some other process is using a lot of resources.

I had my PC on power saver mode... it was throttling everything lol

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I bought an Audio Technica AT2020 USB over a Blue Yeti. Did I make a good choice? I didn't want to get the XLR version as it's far too much effort and total overkill for what I want, but I figured the AT2020 USB was perfect for all the internet calls I make to friends and family.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

is it normal to have such high loads on a 1080 GPU? I look at it in task manager and I hit 60% load or higher in a game like Rocket League, which seems excessive.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Geemer posted:

I bet that if you put your settings right, you could hit 99%.

so it's totally normal and fine for GPU loads to hit high levels? I just assumed that a powerful 1080 would hit 30%s or something for a mediocre graphically intensive game like Rocket League

Qubee
May 31, 2013

that makes sense, my FPS is around 140 or something

Qubee
May 31, 2013

donated my old gaming laptop to my sister. she's been complaining about how slow it runs. we had the harddrive changed out as the laptop refused to boot and we figured the HDD had conked out. the slow issues are still persisting. she sent me this, and the two things I've noticed that seem a little sketchy are:

1) the relatively high temps on the CPU cores, for a relatively low load
2) pretty much 0% load on the GPU, yet 100% fan speed on the GPU

what can we do to try and figure out what is causing problems for her? games run like poo poo, yet when I had this laptop new, it could run Battlefield and Guild Wars at high settings, without skipping a beat.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Geemer posted:

Unless it's actually a huge laptop, it's probably only got one fan with a heatpipe connecting both the CPU and GPU to an anemic little heatsink. Notice the lack of CPU fan in that picture.

Is the fan clogged with dust? Or is it being suffocated by having the intake covered? (Easy to do when you use your laptop on your lap.)

It's a very beefy Sager gaming laptop (basically a company that puts together laptops from various components, kinda like CyberPower but for laptops). IIRC it has quite a lot of vents, but they're thin and run along the edges, and then a big fan on the bottom.

Will ensuring the laptop gets enough air circulation help resolve the slow issues my sister is having? I might just buy her one of those laptop stands with fans on them that help increase airflow.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 24, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Pretty much most cheap microphones will sound perfectly fine for general use like on Discord, Skype, etc. I bought a cheapass £20 USB microphone (it was a standalone mic) for catching up with family and no one ever said the quality was garbage, or that I sounded like I was talking to them through a tin can connected by string.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If my CPU is regularly hitting 100% usage (using task manager to monitor it's performance), whereas my GPU rarely even hits max usage, is it a sign my CPU is bottlenecking? Games like Rocket League will get lag spikes every now and then, and I know for sure it's not my 1080 that is at fault.

My CPU is an i5-4670k, and I didn't really have issues with it until after I dabbled in overclocking. I was initially planning on buying a new CPU, so I hosed about trying to overclock it and gain experience before moving onto my new CPU, but I have a feeling I may have done more harm than good. I reverted everything back to the original profile, but it hasn't been performing as well as it used to. Did I goof hard, or is it salvageable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'll be honest and say I had no idea what I was doing. I was following some janky comment a user posted on the TomsHardware forums. I was upping voltages and stuff, PC booted up, would get through some of the Windows Logo thing and then BSOD on me. I also may or may not have smelled smoke at one point, though that could be paranoia.

I wasn't too fussed about things as I was certain I'd be buying a new CPU within a few days, but that plan fell through. I'll go back into BIOS and check to make sure I didn't turn turbo off.