Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I just realized my OS hard drive is like 5 years old, which freaks me out(even though my important pictures and stuff are saved in 2 other locations), and HD's are cheap. I have a 1TB WD blue and I just bought a new one, what is the best way to simply clone my OS drive so I can get rid of the aging one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
This is probably the thread for this question:

Since I'm lucky enough to be working from home, I have a desk with my desktop, wifes desktop, and a work laptop + docking station. When working I use the monitor from my desktop as my main monitor and my laptop monitor.

Now when we want to use our desktops together, I need to move all the cords. Which is both a pain in the rear end, and probably not great for the ports.

I know what I need is some sort of KVM switch solution but I'm a little lost on what to buy.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
My 3TB Western Digital red is getting long in the tooth, I want to replace it.

What's the most reliable large storage drive?

WD red?

Seagate?

HGST?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Rexxed posted:

Probably a WD Red but make sure you buy 8TB or larger so it's not SMR (they secretly switched out 2-6TB reds for shingled drives which aren't good. Since that pisses off 100% of consumers they're adding CMR reds in that range as Red Plus, ugh https://blog.westerndigital.com/wd-red-nas-drives/ ). The easystore externals go on sale every month or so and you can get one for $120-130, and you can shuck them from their cases to use it as an internal if you want. Also, there's really no such thing as a reliable hard drive. Everything you want to back up should be stored in two places because hard drives just die.

I have almost no idea what any of this means. I have been out of the game for a bit. SMR is I asssume a less reliable HD build-type?

Also holy poo poo hard drives got cheap. 8TB for a $120 sounds great. The external drives are still 3.5" SATA drives on the inside?

And yeah my important stuff is in multiple locations, my big red drive is mostly for media stuff for plex and nothing on there is irreplacable or hard to find. Though I may look at redundency.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 29, 2020

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Thank you

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Rexxed posted:

Probably a WD Red but make sure you buy 8TB or larger so it's not SMR (they secretly switched out 2-6TB reds for shingled drives which aren't good. Since that pisses off 100% of consumers they're adding CMR reds in that range as Red Plus, ugh https://blog.westerndigital.com/wd-red-nas-drives/ ). The easystore externals go on sale every month or so and you can get one for $120-130, and you can shuck them from their cases to use it as an internal if you want. Also, there's really no such thing as a reliable hard drive. Everything you want to back up should be stored in two places because hard drives just die.

So I got a 8tb drive from an easystore, but it wasn't a Red, it ended up being white, and now my computer won't boot.

It appears to be a power voltage (3.3v) problem and all the solutions to it are fairly hacky.

Cool.

It's just a hard drive, why do they do this stuff?

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 5, 2020

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Jaxyon posted:

So I got a 8tb drive from an easystore, but it wasn't a Red, it ended up being white, and now my computer won't boot.

It appears to be a power voltage (3.3v) problem and all the solutions to it are fairly hacky.

Cool.

It's just a hard drive, why do they do this stuff?

Actually, this appears to NOT be my problem, as it's seen in my BIOS with no issues, and apparently the 3.3v problem it won't appear.

It's visible in the BIOS but the computer won't boot off my main (SSD) drive.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Rexxed posted:

A second disk shouldn't prevent the primary disk from booting. I'd double check the boot order in the bios. Did you previously have a hard disk in your system that was attached when you installed windows? Sometimes windows 10 likes to put the boot sector on a hard drive even if you installed the OS on a SSD.

That's exactly it.

Windows 10 was installed on an old 1TB drive, and then installed it on the new SSD. I still get an OS choice when I boot.

I disconnected the 1TB so I could put the new drive in the same spot to transfer and it's not finding the boot sector.

Thanks!