Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Touchfuzzy posted:

As for printers, I have no drat clue.

People tend to recommend Brother. I have one myself. $100 bucks for a full duplex networked laser printer is good to me. If you want to print photos, go to walgreens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've got some basic instructions here...
http://bit.ly/1rFje8y

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
http://www.inateck.com/inateck-ktu3fr-2o2i-usb-3-0-pci-express-card/

I have good luck with this.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Totally agreed on this recommendation. Seems to me the 750 balances performance, price, and power better than just about anything out there. No auxiliary cable. "How come there's no fan plug?"

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521

These guys are more focused on headphones (no mic) but I use a webcam mic or one could use a standalone no problem.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

spasticColon posted:

Okay I have had my current system for almost 4 years and I just now noticed that it makes a strange noise when the SSD (Samsung 830 Pro 250GB) is being accessed which I have had for just over 3 years. It's a really faint buzzing/whining noise. My system works just fine so should I be worried?

My guess is that something is up with the motherboard. Open the computer and see if you can pinpoint where the sound is coming from. Don't bump into the fans.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Maybe just go with a cheapish logitech/microsoft web cam?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
"accessing" video files? Meaning to play them? Or to edit them?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

melon cat posted:

I'm not unhappy with Crash Plan or anything. The service works. But I really don't like how it kills my monthly bandwidth limits whenever I have to restore. Here in :canada: it gets really expensive if you go over your limit.

I see. Right now, my total file size for back-up is 63 Gb and growing. It'll definitely be 100GB by the end of this year.

Would I be crazy if I did this kind of arrangement?
  • 250 GB Solid State Drive for my Windows OS and Adobe software installation, kept separate
  • 2 TB HDD + 2 TD HDD in a RAID 1, entirely for backup

Forget about the RAID. 100 GB is nothing. Run everything off an SSD that fits it, and back up the full image to a HDD that can fit it. Also, still use crashplan.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
troubleshooting guide

put in all 4 old sticks. it works?
take out all but one, does it boot in slot 1? slot 2? etc
put in two of the old sticks. Try a couple different configurations.
if it works with all these configurations with the old ram, then it appears to be a problem with the new ram.

Try 1 stick of the new RAM, try the other stick alone as well. Do they work alone?
I think you get the idea...

another variable in the bios' RAM section might include "speed" with values like SPD or XMP, these values could be set wrong in/by the bios or the ram itself. Try changing that around.

edit: sorry, you obliviously already went over some of this.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
My anecdotal experience tells me that Marvell controlled disk drives function fine, but it makes SSD's go slow. HD's seem fine on the Marvell controller.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rookoo posted:

I'm planning on streaming content from PC to a non-smart tv downstairs, and am looking for a device that does this.

I'm looking into a google chromecast, but I had a few questions:

The computer has an i5 3570k and an Nvidia GTX 970, would playing a 1080p video playing through VLC put a serious dent into the performance (Whilst it's being used for Gaming, etc)?

What determines the effectiveness of the streaming quality? Just how far the dongle is from the router? Will it effect download/upload speeds and Ping of stuff actually connecting to the internet?

Is it possible to completely sequester off the vlc window/whatever is broadcasting so, for example, the person using the PC normally doesn't accidentally shove his mouse pointer into the screen being broadcast?

Alternatively is there something better than a chromecast that isn't big/expensive?

Thanks!

I haven't 'used VLC in this way, I'm assuming it is transcoding the video to a stream and you will display that via your chromecast? That can affect peformance depending on what hardware is doing the transcoding (3d card, cpu, integrated graphics).

Chromecast to me is awesome for Youtube and other things streamed off the internet. As far as displaying what's on the screen, the chrome plugin is pretty disappointing both performance and quality wise.

If you don't mind setting one up, you can use a raspberry pi with kodi (formerly xbmc) and play off a shared folder on your network. This will make little impact on your gaming, and unless your network is jacked up, shouldn't be an issue there either.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've been under the impression for a number of years that dual channel memory doesn't make much of a difference for most applications.

After a quick search, this knucklehead seems to have found the same thing with a bunch of testing after kingston told him as much.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1349-ram-how-dual-channel-works-vs-single-channel

In any case, I think this not very short hardware question topic is getting way out of scope. Don't worry about the memory.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The things you link don't test dual channel versus single channel though? I don't know why I should simply imagine the results that you want it to have. The benchmarks you linked shows that increased memory speed/latency leads to increased performance everything else being equal.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/does-dual-channel-memory-make-difference-in-gaming-performance/7/ This is another thing that seems to agree with what I thought.

The computer we're talking about also is not using DDR4 so I don't know why you brought that into the discussion.

Here's a link that is a BIT more on your side, but shows irrelevance for most tasks. Should you do any of the highlighted tasks frequently then dual channel is a for sure bet, otherwise, not a difference
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8672/lenovo-thinkstation-p300-workstation-review-haswell-plus-quadro/6

Like you also suggested, it's a pretty big deal if you are using integrated graphics.
http://nucblog.net/2015/09/dual-channel-vs-single-channel-does-it-matter/0

At the end of the day, the dude that was about to open up his power supply to see how many pins are inside probably shouldn't worry about his memory configuration at this point.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 17, 2016

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

melon cat posted:

Yeah, I don't want to go around messing with that bit. I've done my own build before, and when I saw those cables going into that enclosure I knew that I wasn't dealing with anything that was meant to be easily-modified. Lenovo corporate workstations don't seem like they're meant to be upgraded in any meaningful way. It really sounds like I either need to to do a new build completely (IT won't let us do that, and neither will our office's budget), or just up the RAM from 16GB to 32GB. The joy of vendor-supplied, proprietary worksations. :suicide:

Thanks for weighing in on this, guys. I do appreciate it.

Do you have an SSD in there? It might be a better upgrade than going all the way to 32GB of RAM, depends on what you're doing though. It also would be a good idea to try using the intel graphics, just make sure to get drivers for it.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Leave them be. They are within spec. Sure, they not last as long statistically, but they can be replaced easily when that day comes. Always have your data backed up

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I have a cheesy little logitech c110 webcam and the mic on that works well enough for gaming. Sounds good when I test it and I've gotten no complaints. I'm sure there's better stuff for similar prices at this point, but it works for me!

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Webcam-C110-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00519B4YG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1463331327&sr=8-3&keywords=c110

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

Thanks, this looks like a fantastic solution. Two questions though:

1) Does it work for non-Steam games and software? Would be great to run some of my resource-heavy professional stuff this way.

2) Is this very demanding on the home network? I imagine it would be comparable to HD video streaming like Netflix/HBOGo or whatever. I sometimes have trouble with that at my new address but presumably the problem is with the external internet connection rather than the local network. Just want to check if I need to invest in a fancy router or something.

Remote desktop. It's built into windows 10.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The downside is what is happening now: doing research and picking proper quality parts that interact properly.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Copy data off, format, copy data on.

edit: more esoterically, if it's powered and idle won't an SSD start doing housekeeping on itself?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You shouldn't have to do that for nearly any software issue. Chances are you have an issue that is corrupting your boot files. Replace SATA cables if available/applicable, chase down the error code if the system is throwing one. Check your heat sinks, fans, air flow and give it a dusting. Intermittent issues like this are always a pain.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Sheesh dude. I don't think this is the right thread for us to analyze your ability to make a hundred dollars.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Power supplies attempt to provide the power that components draw. There are efficiency losses in the form of heat that contribute to a base overhead. Power supplies have efficiency curves as well, which my off the dome guess is at around 50% of max load they are the most efficient.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The 1060 is an upgrade. If you think it shouldn't be overclocked, turn it down. Set a fan curve. It's not worth wasting your time over.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can plug an external drive in to do the update. Update will automatically suggest using it.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://ark.intel.com/products/75048/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

3.8ghz is the default turbo clock on that system. There should be almost zero risk of a BSOD if you up the turbo boost (try 40x) while leaving everything else alone. Also, you should probably check that your RAM is using the "XMP Profile". Do these things one at a time. Depending on your cooler and CPU temperatures the processor may or may not actually hit those speeds.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
My 2550k doesn't like xmp either, but I always blamed my motherboard.
I was looking for example images of turbo boost increases for the above poster, but it seems like all the examples showed them straight up pushing the core frequency to a single high number. I don't understand why that method is so prevalent. People must not trust turbo boost.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
put your computer up higher than your drinks. wow.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The system probably has multiple USB controllers. You might try going in to the device manager and try disabling controllers one at a time. You might be able to get the system to be quiet about the damaged controller.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
How hot are they getting? If the answer is under 50c and they are not doing a lot of cycles, you are fine.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You should take a picture of your actual computer so we can see what's going on. Is your power supply sharing air with the rest of the case?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
buy a new cable while you're at it, maybe?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can also try underclocking your GPU for stability. It happens.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Waste of time. It'll fail fast or last forever.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
What. Temperature.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I recommend an Intel 1080p Chromebook for this type of setup. You can add a monitor and keyboard if you want, and it is really easy to support.

http://a.co/d/7AScT2l
http://a.co/d/1Tg2zG3

Is there anything a windows PC is needed for in the first place?

As far as cheap desktop processors, here's the new gold standard. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113544

If you want to go that route, take it to the parts picking thread, but it's likely the chromebook will make everyone happier

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
All of the inefficiency is expressed as heat.

Anyway, you are right, a higher rated PSU can pay for itself over time. On the order of a few dollars a year. Check it out!

http://www.orionpsudb.com/efficiency-calculator

I think this calculator is overestimating based on "50 percent load for 24 hours", I think most people are going to be using their PC's at under 50 percent load for a few hours, at full load for maybe a couple, then 10 percent or less for the rest of the time.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Hit it once with a hammer and throw it in the trash. No one is scanning your platters with an electronic microscope, which doesn't work anyway.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Haha! Stop defragging! That's the absolute worst thing you can do to a possibly failing drive! Unplug it, buy a replacement, cross your fingers and try to copy your data. Should have been backed up in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Don't spend that much money, just get some 3000mhz memory.