Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Zaq posted:

I just went for a Blue Snowball ice.
It was marketed a bit too much like a "OMG THIS THING IS AMAZING IT CAN DO EVERYTHING" but it wasn't that expensive and it really just was a "plug&play" type of situation even though it does use USB. (so far I've only used mics that use the audio jack)
Haven't had a lot of chances to try it out, but I'll see how it works in practice once overwatch comes out.

I just grabbed a Snowball(the difference between the Ice is 1 capsule vs 2) and setup was easy as advertised- plug it in USB and it shows up as a new device in the windows recording devices, so pick that instead of LINE IN or whatever you had been using. Depends how loud you are for how good it picks up- for me the sweet spot is about 6-8" out. I've been using the included stand and setting it right behind where my keyboard sits, but I am looking at a swing/boom/arm that will put it right in front of my face without using any desktop real estate, and then able to swing it out of the way when not needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Ive seen laptops where you can set like "profiles" esp for projecters etc, is there no desktop equivalent?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Getting some weird answers from our supplier that don't make sense

Selling the hardware for a VM/SAN solution to a customer, all HP stuff. The servers are (2) DL360-Gen9, each with an addon 4x1gb ethernet card. The SAN is a MSA2040 with 2 controller cards, each card has 4 fibre ports. Mainly we're doing the cabling and switches at the site, so there's also a bunch of aruba 2930 switches with SFP+ ports for linking them in the closets. The servers and storage are addons that are coming from the customer and the vendor. We do work with VMs and have used NAS before, but this is our first real exposure to SAN

1. From HPE docs that I'm finding, you need to put a fibre channel card in the server, and then either use fiber jumpers directly to the NAS controllers or use a fibre channel switch in the middle. Based on this it seems we need to remove the 4x1gb ethernet card and put in a 2 port fibre channel card in the server. Then run cables from this dual port card to each of the controllers, so each server is directly attached to each controller. (Not anticipating growth beyond the servers + storage, so a switch shouldnt be needed unless its the ONLY way to link everything)

2. What the vendor is telling me is that all you do is run a fiber cable from the SAN controller to the SFP ports on the data switches, and from the server, just use one of the 1gb ether ports to the switch, put these in a VLAN, and that's it? This makes no sense to me, in the switch docs I'm finding no reference that the SFP+ ports can be used for fibre channel, and other than having the same form factor, have nothing to do with each other

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Thats actually pretty neat with the rechargable flashlight in it! The one I had was a spring loaded cup holder on that half of it, which ended up just being a little stash spot for money or :420:

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Blue On Blue posted:

It is gigabit. There are 2 or 3 devices connected at gigabit , And 4 more at 100

Of note I may have missed , all the 100 connections are cameras , which are pulling power.

The other connections operating at gigabit are other pcs or direct links to other switches , which remain active while the camera ports are the ones that crap out

Specifically , the units pulling power crap out , regular Ethernet seems to remain up

If you apply external power supply(POE injector or wall plug) do the cameras continue working with just passing ethernet?
Also I may have missed if you said, but are all the ports powered, or is this a switch with some POE and some not?

Agreed that something is not upto standard and is freaking it out, whether its the cameras or your slim PC, who knows

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

uhhhhhhh

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Keyboard is not working today. It was earlier in the day and now that I'm back it appears dead

When I plug it in I get a brief flash on the Scroll Lock LED. Also get a windows notification is tiny but it says The last SUB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it
In Device manager I look under USB controllers and I see Unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed)

Is this all just a fancy way of saying my keyboard is dead? I've gone through checking different USB ports- either get same result or nothing at all

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

^^ Aye, moved the keyboard to different ports on the back(on the mobo), as well as the front mounted 2.0 and 3.0 jacks. And then also put a cheap-o Dell kb into each of the ports and that works fine. Also tried it at another PC and it behaved the same, so sounds like it's toast, and its out of warranty

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Keyboard is not working today. It was earlier in the day and now that I'm back it appears dead

When I plug it in I get a brief flash on the Scroll Lock LED. Also get a windows notification is tiny but it says The last SUB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it
In Device manager I look under USB controllers and I see Unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed)

Is this all just a fancy way of saying my keyboard is dead? I've gone through checking different USB ports- either get same result or nothing at all

UPDATE

Since its out of warranty, I cracked it open, cuz why not? The USB cable first goes through a small board USB hub, then a shorter cable to the keyboard itself. I first pulled the short wire between the 2 boards and plugged that in. I plugged some USB devices into it and they wre getting power but not functioning(xbox controller and memory sticks). For some dumbass reason the pinouts on the 2 boards were different, so I pulled the pins out from the mini molex on the end of the USB cable, put them in the right order, and connected to the main board. Plugged in and the keyboard lit up just fine, keys worked etc. Left the USB hub board disconnected and put everything back together and all is well!

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

We buy them for work, they're perfect for our voicemail and gateway servers that are going to sit in a customers closet. For home use, think more of file servers or something like Plex, that again you can stick in a back room and run reliably for years

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

fatman1683 posted:

This is a weird one. I've got a device that writes data to an SD card, and has no networking or other remote access capability. I want to capture the device's output somewhere that I can access remotely. I have in my head something like an SD card-shaped plug on a cable that I can hook up to a computer or something, and capture the writes that would've been made to the SD card.

Is this a thing that exists?

There are wifi enabled SD cards. The idea is that you would stick it in the camera and when you got within range of your home network, it would suck the pics off of it. No idea if they are still an active development or how they truly work, but that would prob be your best avenue if SD is your only connectivity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Check w the new provider and see if they can port the number.If they can't directly take the number then you may need an intermediate carrier that can, like Google Voice, and then to the new carrier. Note there may be delays and fees, all depends on the carriers involved