Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Epsilon Plus posted:

Probably an obvious question (and hopefully not too much for the thread) but I'd like to get an opinion before I open my PC back up.

Just upgraded to a Ryzen 9 3900x from a Core i5-7600K. I'm using a nice AIO cooler that used to keep my old i5 at like, 30-35 degrees C idle. Same cooler but this is happening:

(this is from CAM but hwinfo and Ryzen Master report the same numbers, as well as the readout on my mobo, just not with a nice graph)

The Ryzen sucks down more power than the Core i5 I know, and is going to run at least marginally hotter, but that sawtooth temperature graph has me uncomfortable. It hits 65, then drops down to 55 as the fans on my radiator pick up. Even doing a more aggressive fan curve has the same result. I put a load on it using Prime95 and it was hanging around 65-70 degrees, then it suddenly spiked to 95ish. I have a feeling that I probably put either not quite enough thermal paste on the processor or a smidge too much when I was putting it together. Worth redoing it, or should I focus on other troubleshooting?

What size is the AIO? My 3950x used to idle at 45c and hit 90c on load with a Dark Rock Pro 4. Your temps do seem high if your AIO is 240mm or larger.

I changed my cooler to an Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 and now my processor idles at 35c and doesn’t get above 75c on load even with an all-core overclock. I’m also using quiet mode for the fan curve. Too little thermal paste or a wonky coldplate could be the culprits if your AIO is decently sized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU