Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I want to share a keyboard, mouse, and screen between my work laptop and the PC I am building. I'd like to keep it cheap and don't mind pressing more than one button, but would rather not mess with cables more than necessary. Given that I intend to do some gaming (likely on Linux), should I go with a USB switch over a $50ish KVM?

A number of the switches on Amazon with integrated hubs have scary reviews that accuse the device of violating the USB spec and sending power back to the computers. They also seem to mess with the sample rate of mice. Would I see better results by getting a single-port switch and plugging in a better-quality hub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Yeah I was looking at the USB 3.0 version of the Plugable. I believe it was Sabrent and UGREEN that had the scary reviews.

That's a good idea about the Unifying receiver, I think my mouse has one and I need a new keyboard anyways.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I thought of Remote Desktop, but I would rather not blur the line between work and personal computers for a variety of non-technical reasons. That's assuming my corporate IT wouldn't be pissed at me for even trying it, which they probably would be :v:

I think the Logitech plus switch solution will work nicely, though. Will trial it this weekend, worst case I'm out a few bucks on return shipping.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Atomizer posted:

Yeah but you still have to install a service. I could understand an employer frowning upon installing RD software in particular, especially if the system accesses sensitive data. Synergy or the Logitech Plus(?) software would also have similar concerns.

Yeah, the risks associated with those solutions are something I'd rather not be responsible for, even if I got permission.

Current resolution: I'm using the Plugable switch with a small unpowered USB hub plugged into the downstream port. Plugable technically says you shouldn't do this, but they also say that the switch itself draws very little power, so presumably it's just about keeping you from overloading the downstream port with a bunch of power hungry junk. It seems to handle my wired keyboard and Marathon Mouse just fine.

For the monitor, I have Dell's management software running on my desktop. It lets me use a hotkey to cycle between two monitor inputs. Two button presses and I'm fully switched from one computer to the other.

Cable Hell is a bit of a thing because of how the switch is laid out, but I can clean it up some. I think a multi-device wireless keyboard and mouse combo would be a better setup but I'm not really thrilled with many of the keyboard options I see. Right now it's working well enough that I don't feel compelled to spend $80-$100+ on new hardware.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Well on DSL Uverse I suspect part of the reason was to lock people in to renting the drat thing for $7/month forever. I just upgraded to fiber and it's "free" now (meaning of course that it's just opaquely folded into the price).

As far as I know the only technical reason you need one of their devices is that the 802.1x authentication certificate is baked in to the router. The TV service does use multicast which maybe they didn't want causing support headaches with crappy SOHO routers, but IIRC it's just IGMP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm trying to come up with a KVM solution for my work laptop and personal desktop with as little fiddling as possible (ideally one cable to the laptop and one button to press, although a separate USB switch is Plan B). Currently I have my laptop connected to my monitor via USB-C for DP-alt and power delivery, and the desktop is connected via DisplayPort. I'm using a multi-device Bluetooth keyboard for input, but it's flaky and can't keep up, so I am going back to wired or at least something with a decent dedicated receiver. The monitor cannot switch upstream USB sources. A single 4k60 display is sufficient for the forseeable future.

Something like this Sabrent USB-C KVM with power delivery would be perfect except that it only takes USB-C as video input. Until I get a new GPU (sounds like Turing and newer have USB-C output?) I need to use DP or HDMI for output. I'm hoping the monitor's auto switching can handle it, but if not, are there DP output to USB-C input converters? All of the ones I can find are unidirectional the other way.