Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I just brought my RAM up to 24 gigs on a machine running Windows 7 Home edition, but found out that particular OS will only support 16 gigs RAM maximum. I COULD just upgrade Windows, but had just read about RAM hard drives. As a workaround, could I create a RAM hard drive out of the extra 8 gigs, and designate that as virtual memory? Would it have the same effect as just using the extra RAM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Rexxed posted:

It won't be the same as having more ram because the system will treat it as paging to disk so it won't use it most of the time. It may help a bit if you do end up paging to disk but bear in mind that extra RAM does nothing unless you need it. It's not like processor speed or RAM speed where more is almost always better, it will do nothing until you fill it up. I kind of have to ask though, if you've got a machine that regularly goes over 16GB of RAM usage why is it still on Windows 7, and home edition worst of all? It's probably time to upgrade it to Windows 10.

It's a computer that's been used sparingly for low-level office stuff up until recently, but I was trying to upgrade it for use with Adobe Premiere. (I was holding on to Windows 7 for the sake of my girlfriend, who uses it too and is kind slow to learn new computer stuff.)

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

You should upgrade because Windows 7 is no longer getting any security updates. Unless you love having your PC taken over, it's time to let go.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yep. :sever: with Windows 7 and if your girlfriend doesn't like you for it, :sever:

Fair enough, thanks!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Speaking of keyboards, I've got a laptop keyboard with dead keys. I've already replaced the keyboard but the issue persists. What else could it be?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Is it a mac? Logic board?

Not sure what a Logic board is. It's a Lenovo Ideapad.