Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR
I've got a stupid question about USB memory sticks and security.

Currently I work in an environment where we have a secure network. However, sometimes we need to transfer files between our corporate network and devices on our secure network. Say we're building a server for our secure network for instance.

We have a few USB memory sticks that are exclusively used for this situation. As in they never stray from our secure network and are virus scanned.

I understand that if a manufacturer or someone put in modified drivers on that device, they could do a lot of malicious things without anyone noticing. Should I be paranoid when buying USB memory sticks from well known manufacturers (Lexar, Kingston, etc) ? Would probably not use a freebie USB memory stick from a convention.

Or would it be safer to use memory cards like CF or SD through a USB memory card reader, assuming I trust the memory card reader ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU