Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Does a car charger exist for USB-C to charge laptops? Like everything that seems to come up is USB-A car chargers with a USB-A to USB-C cable, which means 5v 2.1a max

I want like real usbc charging fed from 12vdc... any beans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Do the hybrid coolers with a remote self-contained water cooling loop and radiator with single fan make a big difference or are they mostly a gimmick?

Specifically the evga 1080 hybrid cards.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Q8ee posted:

My PC refuses to turn on after changing a GTX970 to a GTX560 Ti. It powers on, fans whir for 1 second, then the PC shuts down. It repeats ad infinitum. What have I bonked up? The PC was working fine a few hours ago when I had the GTX970 plugged in. Literally the only thing I've changed is the GPU to a 560 Ti.

I'd presume you've removed it again, blew out the socket with canned air, cleaned the connector on the card, reseated and such yes?

Sounds like a short somewhere on the motherboard, possibly not seated correctly, or the PSU miraculously gave up the ghost in between the swap. GPU power connected correctly? etc?

It's a power issue is what i'm trying to say here

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Maybe they run a scrap surplus side hustle getting cheap scrap from recycling, piecing together working systems, selling them on Craig’s and toss the useless husks that aren’t valuable?

OTOH, who they hurtin?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
just a quick question but have you ever considered approaching this horizontally instead of just beefing up a single box to infinity?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
horizontal as in just multiple concurrent workers instead of one bigger worker, could it be split between a few pcs for a dozen cams a piece or something and then aggregated.

i'd be fascinated to hear if anyone has pro experience in how this is designed. I know my synology nas offers encoding licenses per camera, and it ain't cheap

and that has nothing to do with a video wall, just caught up to that

i've worked in NOCs for a loonnng rear end time and it's usually handled by a bunch of PCs that each drive individual screens or screen matrices but it's literaly something that requires janitoring it regularly, at least in the places i've worked

Sniep fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 2, 2018

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
or PSU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

C-Euro posted:

Is there a god-tier thumbdrive that sets itself apart from everything else on the market, or is a thumbdrive just a thumbdrive? Wife is looking for a 32 GB stick for personal use, and I'd like to get her something that she's the least likely to lose.

Nah.

Just get a sandisk cruzer and call it a day. $20 for a 128GB and it's Fine. Has a notch and pin for a keychain ring so you can stick it to whatever. Retracts into itself when not in use. Works. That's about as good as you're going to get.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TKFCYP0

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

C-Euro posted:

I figured. A notch where I can clip a big obnoxious lanyard would be ideal but I don't see one on there, however this USB 3.0 model has one and is only $5 more. Might just go with that, thanks for the advice.

ha yeah, i guess the cruzers are usb2 huh.

they do have a clip spot but i dont think a lanyard could fit it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Willo567 posted:

Hey thread, so recently I've been having my computer freeze at random intervals, forcing a hard reset. I've tried looking up the causes, and it seems tied to driver or power supply issues, as well as overheating. However, I suspect that the main cause might be because the main hard drive my OS is on is dying. Would that be the probable cause?

First, what Krom said, check your SMART data with Crystal Disk Info.

Then, if the drive shows as OK health, check your temps anyway to be sure with SpeedFan and check your system/CPU temps. (The AUX ones might report bullshit data, so ignore those unless you know what they represent, but your CPU, GPU and system board sensors at least should be well under 50°C without load.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Broose posted:

I have a question and google hasn't really been much help beyond the obvious:

What parts of a computer would make a video game load faster?

I ask cause I'm playing one of those games right now that has so many god drat loading screens that are like 15-30 seconds long even though it is on a SSD (860? EVO SATA 3). Everyone says put it on a SSD (and I read that there isn't much difference between sata 3 and nvme. Is that true?) but is there anything to be done to make it even quicker? What makes my video games load so drat (relatively) slow?

You need to identify your bottleneck. If you're not in the first few in the lobby with the game and os both on SSD and modern build, something's wrong.

What's the rest of the specs? what happens when you bench it at https://www.userbenchmark.com/ ?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
I mean check your temps, too, quite often system's thermals get messed up due to paste drying out and loose contacts between surfaces causing chips to crisp and self throttle. You really gotta take a look into what's happening on the system.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Potato Salad posted:

Is there a thread in sh/SC or elsewhere for the subject of headsets for audiophiles that include mics?

I use these: https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-GAME-ONE-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00KK8ZLEC

Comfy and sound great (both the mic and the phones sound great in each respective direction)

Not sure what more you're going to spend and get any return in sound quality as you're heading at that point more towards broadcast gear which probably will sound... worse... at the extra expense for being more durable?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

The Postman posted:

Any recommendation on ones larger than 12 outlets?

Honestly, a rackmount PDU surplus style would seem ideal IMO

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Geemer posted:

I'd just start a return, you don't know where else it got.

This, but...

Just as a fools exercise, I wonder if a solder sucker would do a good job or not for that?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

TheParadigm posted:

huH! maybe i'm wrong, but I thought it was a new thing. My sandy bridg mobo has one right at the bottom right, super easy to miss, but its useful for out-of-the-case assembly and testing.

Did it not catch on?

That used to be an unheard of to extremely niche feature, becoming today an enthusiast feature, afaik.

Most people have always just shorted the PWR pins on the mobo headers to kick on a board

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Incessant Excess posted:

I find myself often discharging static electricity and my nasal passage is pretty dry, this has me wondering if the air in my room might be too dry. Would I benefit from an air humidifier and are they safe to use in a room with a lot of electronics?

LRADIKAL posted:

It might be, get a ten dollar thermometer/humidity gauge. A humidifier won't hurt your computer, as long as your room doesn't drop to the dewpoint temperature and also the computer isn't on.

Indiana_Krom posted:

Odds of a computer accumulating condensation while its running are basically zero because its going to be one of the warmest things in the room.

I'd posit that it's even the opposite which would be of concern

A bone dry room is static shock hell which seems like much more of a potential issue around computers where you're getting zapped/zapping them constantly vs. having relative humidify in normal ranges. 100% would be too much but bumping 0% to 30% is better for you and the computers to boot

Just don't point hte humidifier out vent like at the computer or anything so no droplets accidentally get in but other than that I can't imagine it being any worse than complete dryness already is

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Philosopher King posted:

So hard drives only last for so long until they degrade. Is that from the moment they are made or in use?

I have an unopened 8 year old hard drive that I could put in about an 11 year old computer to squeeze another year out of it.

typically HDD wear is mechanical so if it's been stored in ideal conditions i'd wager it will be fine for years to come?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Gaze upon my BIOS time, ye mighty, and despair!

yeah how the gently caress

looks liek 1.8 here

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Just get a 32gb iPad for $250 or whatever like normal, they are unequivocally the best in basically every metric.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
drat I'm old.

Yes, It's a phone cable. Probably found in clearance bins in the back of walmarts from 30 years ago at this point.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

The Grumbles posted:

Picked up one of those cheap Chinese webcams off amazon and and the picture is completely terrible. Can anyone recommend a good budget PC webcam? Ideally something that picks up okay audio too.

Best Buy has C920s back in stock finally at least near me... Might be double the price than before COVID but they have 'em. Not sure what "Budget" means in this case since everything is going to be under/around $100 but still, I just wouldn't even ever bother with something that wasnt a Logitech C920/C922

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Chuu posted:

A decade ago I remember DSLRs had a max recording time because the sensor would get too hot and the camera would automatically stop recording. Is this a thing with modern DSLRs? If buying an older one, any way to look up if the camera has this limit -- or about how old of a camera you can buy and be pretty sure not to run into this?

Thermal concerns are true for many cameras historically but the primary reason for the 30 minute limit was tax classification in EU as a video recording device vs. not, where the latter was far cheaper, led to the 29 minutes 59 second limit as far as I'm aware. *citation needed

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

CoolCab posted:

man is the expectation that a drive would survive 20 years in a drawer? i mean it might but it definitely wouldn't be my assumption

in indoor habitable conditions i'd think absolutely yes

im pretty sure any mid 90s computer you could just fire it right now unless the caps blew in the power supply or on the motherboard first. there's a lot more other places i'd think would fail before the spinny disk, they were super overbuilt

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

a kitten posted:

Is it possible to push the pin from the bottom? Just that little bit by the arrow i drew up there, not the flanges it's between, maybe just enough to give you a gap to work with at the cap end on the other side? Beyond that, i'm at a loss. :(

Sab669 posted:

Just fought with it for another 30 minutes, yea, those fuckers aren't coming out. Even if I get the two to the "bottom" of the CPU out, I sure as gently caress aren't getting the top two out with the motherboard's heatsinks in the way.

Is it possible to remove the mobo from the case and just use a pin punch on the mounts like top quote suggested? it's totally how i'd go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Nemo2342 posted:

Is there any reason I couldn't use a WD Purple 3.5" harddrive in my computer, if it's mainly going to store videos and games that I don't want to put on my SSD? I got shipped a Purple instead of the Black I ordered, and was just curious if it was worth the hassle of trying to get another one shipped or if I could just roll with it.

Purples are very much designed to specifically suit the workload of surveillance cams. Like, they suck as regular hard drives because of it. I'd get the black if you gotta have spinning platter drives at all.