Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I think this is the right thread to ask. My second monitor is not displaying anything. I tested the cable and the DVI port on my graphics card and they are fine, and the computer actually does recognize it (I can see it in the NVIDIA control panel). When I move my cursor to the edge of my main monitor it disappears into the second as if everything's working fine, except it remains totally black. The monitor's menu doesn't show up either if I try that.

Is it fair to say it's some kind of internal electrical failure - blown capacitor maybe? Anything else I can try on my own before I consider getting it repaired? Though it's ten years old so I might not bother since it's not often in use anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Hmm no, I can't see anything even with a flashlight pointing at it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I think this thread's a better fit than the PC parts one for this question but let me know if not and I'll move over there.

The fan on my Hyper 103 CPU cooler has started making a bit of noise on startup. It settles down after a minute or so which I think means that it's the colder weather messing up the bearing; once it's warmed up a bit it's perfectly normal. I'm going to replace it, but where I live the selection in local stores is really sparse and I can't find much in the way of 92mm PWM fans. I can go out immediately and replace it with a cheap, non-PWM one, or I can order the Noctua NF-A9 on Amazon and wait 10 days for shipment (or, alternatively, 3-5 days on Newegg but for a 30% price increase).

I guess the question is - does this sound like it can wait a bit? The fact that it works and sounds fine once it's warmed up suggests to my mind that its death is not necessarily imminent, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

(I probably didn't do it any favors by mounting the cooler horizontally considering it's a sleeve bearing fan. I can't remember if that was mandated by my motherboard or if I just hosed up. At least my case has a mesh up top so it's not an airflow disaster.)

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

Order the PWM fan on Amazon, it probably isn't going to completely die in a couple weeks but it may start squeaking constantly. If it does actually start to seize up or squeak constantly you can probably do some emergency first aid by taking it out, peeling off the protective sticker and putting a couple drops of WD-40 into the bearing/housing and working it in by spinning the blades manually. If it is a sleeve bearing that will probably free it up for a few days at a time.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. That helps put my mind at ease a bit knowing I could do some first aid if needed. I'll go on and place the order. Looking again I was wrong about the shipping costs / times, Amazon lists it as Dec 21-31, so I think I'll add the $5 and get it from Newegg within 3-5 days instead. Probably worth it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Hopefully it doesn't come to that and it will be okay until I get the new one. It's decently cold in my apartment too so that might help if the fan really just up and dies, it's idling at 30 C with the fan on 50% right now.

Anyway, thanks everyone, I'm somewhat more relaxed now. :)

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

About ten days ago something in my PC started making a high-pitched noise which I assume to be coil whine. It starts the moment I turn it on, and warbles or changes pitch or disappears, on occasion. I've confirmed it's not the videocard or any fan, but haven't been able to conclusively determine if it's the PSU or motherboard. I haven't experienced any abnormalities in performance or temperatures so for now I'm assuming it's not necessarily dying. Sadly I don't have any components lying around that I could swap in for testing.

The thing is, and this is my actual question, the power cabinet on the street just outside my building has been similarly wailing for about three weeks now, except on a much louder scale. I'm almost certain it's the one supplying power to my building. Is it possible a malfunction there is messing with the power delivery to my apartment and causing the whine in my PC? Or is that wishful thinking on my part because I'm reluctant to drop money on new hardware? I don't know much about how this stuff works.

I've lodged a complaint with the power company and hopefully they'll get to it soonish ("when we resume normal operations", though, so who knows). Worth waiting to see how things shake out with that (assuming I can tolerate the noise that long), or just buy a new PSU? My current one is a 4.5-year-old Corsair RM550, which is supposed to be very good and honestly barely been put to work (as the rest of my system is old enough that I'm mostly unable to run intensive games anyway), but there are no guarantees of course.

I'm fortunately usually wearing headphones, but when I'm not it's just awful.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 1, 2020

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

Dirty power can definitely make PSUs (and many other devices that run on switching power supplies) emit coil whine like noises, but the equipment necessary to investigate the power is likely not a trivial expense and likely also requires significant knowledge in electrical engineering to even understand.

Yeah it was more a question of whether it was even a possibility.

But, a new development - just this morning the PC wouldn't turn on. I got it to happen eventually but now the mobo splash screen shows up on the other screen than usual and the system boots literally twice as fast as it did previously (edit: wait, maybe that had more to do with my turning it on and off a bunch of times in a row). I'm very confused, but everything seems okay except the whine is still there.

So I guess my saying there were no abnormalities was premature. I've got some components sitting in a cart and just need to pull the trigger if I can get myself to do that instead of gamble on making it through the weekend.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 2, 2020

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

My PC's having an issue reading my external USB drive. It doesn't show up by name, just as the drive letter, and any attempt to interact with it locks up Explorer - trying to open it, or even opening up Disk Management (which comes up blank) or CrystalDiskInfo (which just doesn't open). In Device Manager it does get recognized as a WD My Passport drive, though; I asked it to update the drivers but apparently those are up-to-date. I can't remove it safely because right-clicking on that icon doesn't even bring up a menu, so I've had to just pull the plug. I tried other USB ports as well as a new cable, but it's the same every time. This is my backup drive and though last week's backup was completed successfully it took twice as long as normal, so that was maybe a sign something was awry.

Dying drive? It's about 2.5 years old.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Helter Skelter posted:

Dying drive would be my guess, yeah. At least it should (hopefully) still be under warranty.

Thanks, I just dropped it off at the shop with the warranty and they'll take a look. Hopefully won't take too long to get it back, or a replacement. I guess they're formatting it as a first step and I've half a mind to just buy a new drive tomorrow so I'm not without a backup until they're done (and then at worst I've got two backup drives, which is fine or even ideal), but on the other hand I still have an old internal (from 16 months ago) and the older external and those should have 99% of the important stuff, so maybe I'll live dangerously and hope my SSD doesn't coincidentally die as well before I hear back.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Bit of a dumb question, and I guess I'm mostly looking for reassurance here, but how bad is it that I'm running a backup to a HDD while the adjacent building is being demolished with a jackhammer...? :\ It only occurred to me halfway through that the vibrations are probably not great for a spinning platter drive. I'm gonna let it finish cause I'm otherwise without a backup and it's nearly done, but still. I'd like to believe modern hard drives, particularly portable ones like this My Elements, are a lot more resistant to this sort of stuff. I've put it on some dense fabric in the meantime to hopefully soak up a little of the vibrations.

It's probably fine but maybe not do it again, I guess?

Really hope they wrap up this demolition soonish because it's a loving nightmare. And that the inevitable subsequent construction work won't be as bad or I'll actually have to start looking for a new apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Thanks. The jackhammer's gone today (after three days in a row) so hopefully that's done, but in any case now that I at least have a completed backup I feel a little safer, I only do weekly backups anyway and can easily skip a couple if necessary.