Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Need help badly, please. I have a recently new acer black nitro with Windows 8.1, and right now I can't even log in because the keys are not registering. Only the first two button presses work, and then nothing. If I press a bunch it will register for a little longer, but then nothing. This laptop doesn't have a loose battery, so I can't even pull it out, to power cycle out. Please help.

I've reset a bunch and powered down and nothing. One time, I got through and it still said my password was wrong, and then when I tried to re enter it, it stopped registering again.

And it was literally just working.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Do you have a USB keyboard to plug into it?

Yes, but I unplugged it to move to the living room, and that's when the issue started. Does it need that to stay plugged?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No it doesn't need to stay plugged in, but that would help us determine if it's a problem that's exclusive to the built-in keyboard. The symptoms you're describing sound very much like a water-damaged laptop keyboard to me, but maybe I'm jumping to conclusions prematurely.

Really? with the keyboard plugged, in, it works, but not with out it. But it's weird, because buttons will register if I press other buttons first.

Also,I don't know about water damage, because I've been trying to be very careful with this thing, even keeping the keys covered with the packing it came with.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

What's the best router/modem worth spending money on to replace the lovely comcast loner?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Woke up this morning and for some reason everything was super choppy and running suboptimal, then my laptop bsods when steam big picture mode was engaged.I hadn't updated my driver's so i tried that and it made it worse. Now when I try to even start up steam, since it was in BPm, it goes to that then immediately crashes my laptop. Tried system restore and it failed and didn't do it. I don't know how to deal with the driver issue as my laptop is an Acer that has a dumb manufacturers lock on it when it comes to updating stuff so my Intel driver is literally from when win10 first released.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Please help! So my 3tb external hdd started having trouble loading up, so I tried to defrag it. It wouldn't show up in the system defragger, so I downloaded defraggler. It kept erroring while trying to defrag, so i tried the check for errors option and this popped up:

I selected yes and then it said it needed to unmount the drive to go through it properly. I said yes again and it started. But it errored out and never remounted my drive. Now when option pops up it says it cannot open the volume for direct access. What can I do?

Edit: just tried replugging it and it flashes and disappears

Power cycling both seems to have fixed that problem and the original. Ok thanks. Though it still won't properly defrag.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 15, 2018

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

It might not be a bad idea to load up Crystal Disk Info (handy link: https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/ ) and make sure the drives SMART monitoring isn't screaming "This drive is about to die, get a copy of everything you want to keep from it like yesterday.".

I don't know how to tell if something is dying. Everything was green, or is it the speed I should be looking at?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Ok, I'll takea picture tonight. The drive is working super quick now, though, so I don't know what happened.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Here's that crystal readout

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Oh yeah I scrolled down to the relevant section:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

So I'm just gonna unplug it until I need it. Can't afford a drive right this moment, and the drive is usually just for media storage, so I'm hoping that can hold off the imminent death until black Friday at least.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

bushisms.txt posted:

Please help! So my 3tb external hdd started having trouble loading up, so I tried to defrag it. It wouldn't show up in the system defragger, so I downloaded defraggler. It kept erroring while trying to defrag, so i tried the check for errors option and this popped up:

I selected yes and then it said it needed to unmount the drive to go through it properly. I said yes again and it started. But it errored out and never remounted my drive. Now when option pops up it says it cannot open the volume for direct access. What can I do?

Edit: just tried replugging it and it flashes and disappears

Power cycling both seems to have fixed that problem and the original. Ok thanks. Though it still won't properly defrag.

Ok, I'm back. I've had my drive disconnected this entire time and just now have the loose funds, and permission, to buy another one. Is there anything\type\brand I should be looking out for one way or another?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I'm guessing this goes here because I just got this laptop so it doesnt have any extras on it yet and have installed multiple browsers to the same results.

A captcha is supposed to load but won't. I've turned off every setting I can think of and nothing helps.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

Using something that blocks or could block cloudflare captcha on your network? Like possibly a DNS level ad blocker or filter on your router?

Try overriding your DNS settings in windows to 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 (google DNS: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns) and see if it makes any difference (or OpenDNS or any other public DNS service if you don't want to use google).

I did this and no change. I havent installed anything other than browsers on it and I think I've paused/removed everything that could block.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 13, 2024

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Try flushing your dns.

open a command prompt in admin

ipconfig /flushdns

Done and no change.

It briefly said spam tools could be the cause, but I have no clue what that could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Are you on a VPN?

e: first result from reddit when I googled, did you try this?

"I right clicked the date and time on my task bar, selected adjust date and time, then in additional settings i hit the sync now button. I have no idea why this worked, but it did the trick for me."

I'm not on a vpn that I know of. I even connected to a hotspot on my phone, and it still doesn't change. For reference, I can sign in via mobile browser. That trick did not work, will restart laptop and ty again though.

EDIT:
Thanks for y'all's patience, an optional hidden tab from the manufacturer update seems to have fixed it.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 13, 2024