Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I assume no one has better strategies for snagging a 3080 on the 17th other than "be online all day and f5 a lot"??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

I knew there was a reason I got a 750w PSU when I did a 3800x build last Christmas :getin:

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

I'm on a 3800x on a MSI x570 Gaming Edge Wifi.

I'm planning on buying a 5900x to swap in as soon as they're widely available, and maybe wait for one more MSI mobo firmware rev.

Is there anything else I should know or am not thinking about with this swap?

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

my cousin gave me a 2011 (2012?) 27" imac they had no use for, turns out to be a not terrible core-i3 with 8gb of ram and a 1tb SSD, AMD graphics of some kind. Windows 10 didn't want to install audio drivers that worked and I was too lazy to gently caress around much so I installed archlinux (endeavor) and everything works fine and I installed visual studio code with pacman and everything seems to work.

So, I already have a PC, a PC and a laptop from work, some number of tablets, etc. What the gently caress should I do with this thing? It seems too useful to do nothing with but too old and esoteric to try to sell.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Rexxed posted:

If you don't have another use for it it's just another all in one PC. Apple will probably stop updating OSX for intel CPUs in a few years after there's more of their M# chips out there but for now it's useable for stuff. I haven't used macs since the 90s but they're still functional computers.

This is already not usable for OSX which is why my cousin gave it to me. (Can't take any modern version, running into poo poo being able to get basic things like supported versions of Chrome that exist, etc)

I am actually kind of shocked at:
* how well this runs a modern ArchLinux
* the fact a 12 year old PC has Vulkan compliant GPU
* the entire Lutris ecosystem which I had been ignoring because it was not applicable to me
* support for every peripheral in the machine with zero loving around beyond having to do a bit of poo poo to get Vulkan working

I think this might end up getting a very very locked down browser installed, along with some steam games, emulation and educational games, and become our 5 year old's first computer. She's big enough for "real" games.

On the other hand it's also, apparently and somewhat amazingly to me, another machine I can play and stream Magic Arena from. Super gross to me that Apple just dumps support for this poo poo, forcing people like my cousin to just bin perfectly fine machines if they don't have some linux neckbeard cousin to dump them with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

this old machine can do all KINDS of stuff