Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

For anybody looking for the old thread, here it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Touchfuzzy posted:

I don't know if this'll sound a bit off or not, but are there any currently recommended models/brands of webcams and printers? For webcams, I just assume Logitech, but I don't know if buying an actual video camera would be a better investment? As for printers, I have no drat clue.

The Printer Questions Megathread

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

6141. 6183 is the new hotness but still very hard to find.

Woot has the 6141 for $50:

http://www.woot.com/offers/motorola-surfboard-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-4

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Snowy posted:

My dad needs a printer that can feed a stack of papers to scan into jpg or PDF. He's got tons of old paperwork to digitize so I'm trying to help him speed up the process. He also usually likes to keep it cheap when possible.

Are there any preferred models for that? Hoping to pick something up during the upcoming sales.

Printer Questions Megathread

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Freakbox posted:

Hi short questions thread! I'm looking for a Modem Router Combo to replace my lovely old Modem Router, which was stock from AT&T when I signed up. I've upgraded my plan twice since; I have the highest or second-highest tier internet, so something that could keep up with it would...well, make sense. It's reached that age where it's acting up and getting to be a bit sketchy, so I'll need to replace it anyway.

It's a 2Wire 3800HGV-B

Any Advice on this would be great, so Thank-you. :kimchi:

The Home Networking Megathread - This stuff is basically magic

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What's the current go-to for thermal interface material? My laptop's C2D is getting hot and noisy even with dust blown out so it's time for a fresh coat.

Also, are thermal pads still a thing? Any good ones out there?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Firewire?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Auron posted:

I'm attempting to install a Samsung 850 EVO as the primary drive on my wife's new laptop, but it is not going to well.

To start, the laptop is new with Windows 10. When I plug in the drive, it did not show up anywhere, and Samsung's data migration software could not find the disk. I then went into disk management to initialize the drive and still no dice. I then formatted the drive and assigned it a letter and the migration software STILL won't see the SSD. It's showing up as "ASMT 2115 SCSI disk device". I thought this was supposed to be very straight forward?

Are you plugging it in externally, like USB or eSATA?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Auron posted:

Externally through a USB 3.0 to SATA connection

That's why, because your adapter identifies as an ASMT device. I have something similar. Maybe try a different cloning tool, like Macrium Reflect?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Charliegrs posted:

I have a couple Cisco 3500 switches. For whatever reason, I cannot create any VLANs. Its driving me nuts trying to figure out why and I havent had any luck googling it.

So I go into global config mode, enter the command: vlan 10 And I get back a invalid input detected message. I know for a fact that is how you create a vlan. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong or if there is some setting I have to change to do this? These are used switches, and did have configurations already from the previous owner that I wiped.

The weird thing is I can go to a specific switch port and assign it to a vlan, thus actually creating the vlan. I dont know whats going on....

If you haven't already, you might try asking in The Cisco Short Questions Thread v12.4.9(WTF).

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Does the manual specify which order the slots should be populated? I'd think A1 and B1 first. You could also try going into the BIOS, reset it to defaults, then see if it boots with two.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If it boots with all four DIMMs installed, use that config to get into the BIOS and make changes.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The SB 6141 often gets recommended. You need to look up the number of channels a modem has available, you want four upstream and at least 8 downstream.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Lord Windy posted:

I was looking at SIP as a phone replacement for shits and giggles and I have a question about IP PBX. If you're using SIP, do you need a dedicated hardware IP PBX or is there software that you can use on a server instead?

This thread is a little bit old but bumping it might yield some results for you.

EDIT: Shoot, never mind. It's archived.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 8, 2015

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Does that enclosure come with a power adapter?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

(cross-posting with the laptop megathread) I'm refurbing an HP Folio 13-2000 and this little guy popped out. Anyone know what it is/does?

Sorry I can't focus better, got a case of the shaky hands.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Alereon posted:

Can you take a picture of the other side?

Sure thing, here are a couple of better pics:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What model of laptop is it? You could probably Google its service manual and get the exact type or even part number for the screws.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

FrankieGoes posted:

Is there a PC case megathread?

PC Building/Upgrading/Parts-picking Megathread seems like a good place to start.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What's your power supply model?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Turtlicious posted:

I know absolutely nothing about your situation, but if it's precise movement maybe you would benefit from a full trackball set to a low sensitivity?

I just bought one of these and I feel like it's easier to be more precise then the mouth with my Arthritis.

Do they have anything for that lisp?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

BigFactory posted:

Any recommendations for a color laser printer? For an office with a couple of commercial b+w lasers, so it won't get a ton of use except for doing color pages. Page per minute isn't as important as overall nice quality and reliability, I suppose. Edge-to-edge printing would be really nice, but not top priority.

Printer Questions Megathread

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The latter.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Chuu posted:

I am having a shockingly hard time finding the answer to this simple question:

In Windows 10, if you have a mirrored storage space with 2 drives or a parity storage space with 3 drives, are integrity streams enabled FOR FILE DATA?

I've found sources that say yes, some that say no (i.e. it's only enabled for metadata), and absolutely nothing on MSDN that can't be interpreted either way.

Have you tried asking in this thread?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just for fun and curiosity, I'm thinking of reviving an old desktop of mine. Last OS I used on it was Vista. For the sake of driver support in Windows 7, 8/8.1, or 10, should I replace the video card? It currently has an ATI FireGL X1, so I'd need an AGP or AGP Pro card if I should replace it. Don't need gaming performance, just for web videos and streaming.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

fishmech posted:

There is basic driver support for ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series on AGP slots and a few other ATI cards. There's also a few random NVidia AGP cards that still work.

In both cases you will not get as good performance as in Windows 7, but they will be able to handle the desktop and such.

Edit: To be clear this is for Windows 10. For Windows 8/8.1 there's full driver support for those cards with no performance impact, and same for Windows 7.

Thanks, did a bit of Googling and somebody got an nVidia 6200 AGP on an Opteron board (mine is similar) working in both Windows 8 and 10:

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/6909-lets-run-win10-really-really-old-hardware-6.html

Think I'll go for a cheap nVidia card from eBay, and just try one OS at a time.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Paul MaudDib posted:

EVGA still has some AGP cards in their B-stock store from time to time, you might want to check that out.

6200 AGP with 2 year warranty for $43, not bad. Thanks!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Paul MaudDib posted:

FYI their B-stock only has a 1-year warranty. It's likely enough time for it to fail if it's going to, but it's not 2 years.

I assume the one with the DDR2 is better?

edit: 1 year, not 90 days

It says 2 years right there on the B-stock website.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Why does your price say $7.99?

EDIT: Weird, I swear when I first looked I saw one for $42.99 that said 2-year warranty. Can't find it now, though really I'm not worried about it. The card is cheap enough that if it craps out and the warranty is useless, I'd get another if I really want to keep that machine going.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 12, 2016

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What's the word on SATA Blu-ray players these days, and playing Blu-rays in Windows 10 generally?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

(Apologies for cross-posting) Odd question I know, but where can I download Windows 8.0? I own a license but need the installer or the .iso file.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks, I did get a working 8.0 iso and got it installed. My ultimate goal is to move to 10 while it's still free, or failing that 8.1, but I have to get around the CompareExchange128 obstacle first.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm trying to revive an old desktop for fun and shortly after getting Windows 10 installed, the screen went blank while downloading/applying updates. Also the computer wouldn't shut off when I held in the power button, I had to flip the switch on the PSU. Turning it on again I couldn't get any display going - the DVD drive would spin and respond, and if I connected an HDD I'd hear it spin up. I replaced the video card, no luck there, same with the CMOS battery. Do I need a new power supply?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I'm trying to revive an old desktop for fun and shortly after getting Windows 10 installed, the screen went blank while downloading/applying updates. Also the computer wouldn't shut off when I held in the power button, I had to flip the switch on the PSU. Turning it on again I couldn't get any display going - the DVD drive would spin and respond, and if I connected an HDD I'd hear it spin up. I replaced the video card, no luck there, same with the CMOS battery. Do I need a new power supply?

Any thoughts?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

simcole posted:

I need a new multi-function printer

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3194023&pagenumber=32&perpage=40

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

fishmech posted:

When was the last time that you'd successfully used the desktop before then? Incidentally, I wouldn't expect it to be a power supply issue if the DVD drive and hard drive will spin up, but it'd be really hard to say what bit just died.

Did the computer flash any lights or make any beeping sounds when you tried to start it? You should be able to look up error codes from that still - might need to hook up powered speakers into the onboard speaker jack to hear beep codes.

Last used I think about 4 years ago. No flashing lights or sounds, although the board doesn't have onboard sound. I do have a sound card installed so I can plug in a speaker (built into monitor) to check for any sounds.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't think the PSU can be ruled out entirely but a bad motherboard is the most likely suspect. If this is an old PC I'd look for some popped electrolytic caps.

Thanks, this board is pretty old (Tyan Thunder K8W) so I'll look for those just in case.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wilford Cutlery posted:

fishmech posted:

When was the last time that you'd successfully used the desktop before then? Incidentally, I wouldn't expect it to be a power supply issue if the DVD drive and hard drive will spin up, but it'd be really hard to say what bit just died.

Did the computer flash any lights or make any beeping sounds when you tried to start it? You should be able to look up error codes from that still - might need to hook up powered speakers into the onboard speaker jack to hear beep codes.
Last used I think about 4 years ago. No flashing lights or sounds, although the board doesn't have onboard sound. I do have a sound card installed so I can plug in a speaker (built into monitor) to check for any sounds.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't think the PSU can be ruled out entirely but a bad motherboard is the most likely suspect. If this is an old PC I'd look for some popped electrolytic caps.
Thanks, this board is pretty old (Tyan Thunder K8W) so I'll look for those just in case.

So I was mistaken, this board does have onboard sound. I plugged it into the built-in speaker jack of the monitor but no POST beep codes. Nothing on screen either, in fact I resorted to unplugging everything internal and external except the sound and video card. Nothing, removed the video card hoping for any beeps, nothing.

I know I used to have that Soyo diagnostic card showing the POST code, if I can find it I'll try it and see what code it returns. That aside I'm open to other suggestions.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Pollyanna posted:

I need a printer for my desk, but I don't need a huge thing with copier functions or photo printing. What're the current recommendations for compact, no-frills desk printers? Not sure if I can trust Amazon's finds for compact printers.

The Printer Questions Megathread

Be sure to mention whether you need b&w or color, and if you'll be printing frequently or occasionally.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Copy the data to a safe place and get a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Next time you turn on the computer, jiggle the cable partly in and out if the jack. See if you get more popping noises, maybe turn the volume down a bit first.