Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Have router/modem combos gotten better over the years? I remember a long time ago they were usually frowned upon as you can typically get a better router than what is included in the combos.

I'm going to be upgrading my Xifinity to 300mbps and realized that my modem and router are at least 5 years old at this point, figured it might be time to upgrade. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Not too sure if this is the right thread, but I'm trying to see if I need a new router to get the best speeds possible. I'm currently using a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 and testing on an iPhone mini with Speedtest.net.

I'm currently using Xfinity and the average speed I'm obtaining is 285Mbps down and 17.5Mbps up, modem is a ARRIS SB6190 and subscribed to 600Mbps plan. Testing on Sonic yields me getting 300Mbps down and 510Mbps up, modem is an Adtran 411.

Is my router bottle-necking my potential speed?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

SuperTeeJay posted:

High-speed wireless is a crapshoot and real world throughput is far removed from the headline figure on the box, but routers that old aren't cut out for ultra high-speed connections - Kitguru's test of a wired transfer through the R7000 pegs its maximum speed at 520Mbps (and that was presumably with a single client connected). A newer router will at least shift the bottleneck from the router's CPU/RAM to the wireless connection, so you can wire in any computers and make do with whatever the wireless can manage on phones and streaming devices.

That makes sense. The router is a bit older and I've used a wired connection for so long I don't really know the expectations for wireless anymore.