Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

My ancient crappy headset with mic has finally started to fall apart and I need to get a new mic.
I'm not sure if I want a headset mic or something standalone. I'd just be using it for games like Overwatch.
The current ones I just wear around my neck since I don't really like to get sound from the headphones, and the mic picks up well enough like that.

Should I just get a decent headset and learn to have the audio through that? Or is a microphone on its own an actually OK option?

Any suggestions, comments or nudges in the right direction would be appreciated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

I just went for a Blue Snowball ice.
It was marketed a bit too much like a "OMG THIS THING IS AMAZING IT CAN DO EVERYTHING" but it wasn't that expensive and it really just was a "plug&play" type of situation even though it does use USB. (so far I've only used mics that use the audio jack)
Haven't had a lot of chances to try it out, but I'll see how it works in practice once overwatch comes out.