Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Not sure if this is the right thread for this kind of question, but I've been getting BSOD code: 116 a lot lately, at least once a day, sometimes twice a day.

From what I've read code 116 the following could be at fault:

The CPU
The GPU
The RAM
The Motherboard
The SSD

Which REALLY doesn't help at all!

Sometimes I'll be playing an intense game, other times idle on the desktop and the computer will lock up with no video data going to the monitor. Sometimes the monitor won't receive anything on a cold boot. I've tried multiple monitors, and multiple cables. Took my RAM out and put it back in, too.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Rexxed posted:

Most of the posts I see attribute this to a GPU problem. What GPU do you have, how hot does it get, is it overclocked, are the drivers up to date?

MSI 970 Gaming 4G, stock speeds and I updated the drivers a few days ago to see if that would help (it didn't) Temps look fine. A couple of times the display output had stopped it actually managed to recover saying "display driver crashed but recovered" so I don't know if that also points to the GPU.

Volta can't get here quick enough. I might try buying a 1060 until it does then flip the 1060.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Puddin posted:

So I just built a new pc for my boss and everything works fine and had no problems during the build. What did I do wrong????

You touched the PC.

Any problem 5 years from now is YOUR FAULT!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Gromit posted:

Whenever I've had that error it's a video driver issue, and the only sure-fire fix I've ever found is to roll back to a previous restore point.

What if I use a clean installer of an older version of driver?

It's been happening more frequently lately but I can't remember when it first started to happen. Quite a few months ago.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Rexxed posted:

It kind of sounds like a hardware issue, but just in case it's drivers, it's worth doing the whole Display Driver Uninstaller thing (reboot in safe mode, run it, reboot then reinstall the latest driver).
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

If it keeps happening after that then it's not the drivers.

I wont know if it's work until I know it hasn't, but using that program reminded me of another problem that may or may not have been related.

Accessing the Nvidia Control panel used to hang for 10 seconds, selecting the Change Resolution option also took a fair few seconds to do, and selecting the Manage 3D settings used to take ages, and any change I made and applied used to hang for a bit too.

Now it's all instant!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I have a question about z390 motherboards. The Sata3 6gig on them, do we still have to be careful with what sata controller is being used?
I know on my current board half are intel controllers and half are marvell controllers (which are much slower)

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Does anyone know if Trident Z RGB works with Thermaltake's TT Sync? I heard the ram had issues with Gigabytes Fusion.

Indiana_Krom posted:

Nah, there won't be any frame rate issues even with multiple mixed refresh rate displays. But if you plug in more than 2 displays to a Nvidia GPU it will stop idling, which just means it will use more power and generate more heat on the desktop than normal.

I think I remember something about adjusting the threshhold on nvidia inspector?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I have a question about corsair's 24 pin psu cable. The pin out from the PSU (hx850i) isn't 1 to 1. (wire A to wire A, B to B etc) it crosses over it's self so how would a cable from Cablemod work? Would it have that flat look or would the Cablemod cable also be crossed with it's self?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I need 3 molex connectors to power my 3 D-RGB controllers (each one draws 8 amps) so it can't be a molex chain, but 3 individual 6 pin peripheral > molex cables but the only ones I can find are the long chains. I don't have much space to work with and would rather not have 3 molex chains all squashed in a tight space.

One option I might have found is buying custom cables from CableMod, and selecting single molex, custom length. I'm concerned though that as it's a whole cable and not an extension, there might be psu pin layout compatibility issues. Apparently there's not a standardized psu pin layout??

The CableMod config website does ask what PSU I'm using so many it'll be okay? :confused:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

tuyop posted:

Six amps for RGB? What are they, spotlights??

Who are you replying to? Me?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Indiana_Krom posted:

I mean you are claiming your D-RGB controllers draw a combined 288 watts so yeah... Either you have accidentally switched the LEDs out for incandescent bulbs, or you are running like 5000 LEDs off them to get that absurd number.

ah, I was confused as you said 6 amps, when I said 8 amps per controller.

Each slot can control 90 LED's and draw 2 amps when set to pure white at 100% brightness and there's 12 slots. I doubt I'll be using the 100% brightness white setting often but I'd rather have the power available in case I use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

My data drive has grown larger than my backup drive's size, and was looking at the WD My Book 8TB as an upgrade. What's the My Book like vs, say, WD Elements, or something by Seagate or maybe a HDD dock and just buy regular 8TB HDD's?

I'm after something that can be easily and quickly be unplugged and taken away (ie, there's a house fire, I can just grab it and go)

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 8, 2021