Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I pulled this hard drive out of my laptop that died like 10 years ago. I want to try to pull the data off of it, if there's anything left.

The form factor for the pins doesn't match the ATA cables I have. It looks like the same pinout but a smaller form factor. How do I hook this up to my PC? This is my motherboard if that makes much difference.

What the chances the drive will have retained anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Geemer posted:

Try looking for a mini-IDE to SATA or just normal IDE or maybe even USB converter. I have an ancient 100 MHz netbook-sized laptop that has a full-size IDE drive in it and Windows 3.1 still loads up like a champ. It is at least 20 years old now. You'll probably be able to pull off all the data unless it died from the hard drive failing.

Thanks, that was enough for me to find what I need!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Papercut posted:

I pulled this hard drive out of my laptop that died like 10 years ago. I want to try to pull the data off of it, if there's anything left.

The form factor for the pins doesn't match the ATA cables I have. It looks like the same pinout but a smaller form factor. How do I hook this up to my PC? This is my motherboard if that makes much difference.

What the chances the drive will have retained anything?

So I got all of the pieces to hook this up, it's correctly recognized in BIOS and I have the correct boot order, but Windows hangs on startup. I can hear the old drive spinning, but then it gives a little "thinking" sounds and then rhythmically clicks. Basically, whirrrr-thinking-click-click-click, pause, click-click, pause, click-click-click etc.

It's hosed, yeah?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Geemer posted:

Pretty much. Though you could give the freezer trick a shot. You're down the rabbit hole already, so might as well go whole hog.
Remember that if the freezer trick works, you have pretty much that one shot at getting anything off it. It might not work again.

Yeah gonna try that with very low expectations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Gromit posted:

So you are hooking this drive up as a slave to your existing system, and it's preventing it from booting into Windows? Or have you hooked this drive up solo and are trying to boot from it? You'd be doing the former, ideally.

I'd gladly hook that drive up to my recovery hardware if you can get it to me in Australia, but I'm going to assume you live elsewhere.

Yeah it's hooked up as a slave, not trying to boot from it. I tried different master/slave and jumper configurations, same result with all of them.

And thanks for the offer! But yeah, not really worth it to ship halfway around the world just to see if I can recover any of my photos or papers from college.