Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Do stockpiled, but unused hardware (graphics cards and motherboards specifically) become more unreliable as they age? I ask because my laptop is on warranty with Dell and while I had a good first two years with it, I've been having Dell replace the graphics cards about every four months and it seems like their lifespan is dropping. I'm just trying to figure out why this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Alereon posted:

Not really, capacitors do decline in quality with age, but that's less significant with the types of capacitors used on graphics cards and modern motherboards.

Would you have any idea on why their stockpile of parts is seemingly degrading? Could they be using parts that are refurbished many times over? That would most definitely effect their lifespan, right?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

fishmech posted:

It could just be that the laptop you had with the GPU option you selected had a large amount of defects all around.

What's the model anyway, where the GPU is actually separately replaceable from the rest of the system?

It's an Alienware m17X (ranger) with a nvidia 880m. It is replaceable.

To my credit, I didn't order an Alienware, I got it because Dell recalled the entire line of XPS system I had originally owned because they were overheating in such a way that could cause injury.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I just got a replacement laptop with a Seagate 1TB Hard Drive (Model: ST1000LM044). It could be brand new, or it could be and very likely is refurbished. On the laptop that is being replaced I have a WD Blue 1TB Hard Drive (Model: WD10JPVX - WD10JPVX) that is two years old. I've had no problems with the WD Blue which runs at 5400RPMs. The Seagate runs at 7200RPMS. Both would be use for storing music and infrequently accessed data.

Do I switch the hard drives out, or do I wait the 15 hours to complete a data migration over WIFI?

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 19, 2016

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

crack mayor posted:

I just bought a Like New Chromebook from Amazon. The Like New description just said the box was damaged. I just received the package. We're kinda in the middle of a heatwave right now so the package was pretty warm. I picked it up minutes after the delivery guy left it on my shaded porch. It seems as though the Chromebook came in a different box entirely, with just the charger and the netbook and not much extraneous packaging. When I opened the Chromebook, turns out it was already on with about 2/3rds battery left.

Maybe I just haven't bought electronics in awhile, but are computers supposed to come shipped already powered on? Or maybe when Amazon was checking it out, they turned it on? Could shipping the thing while powered on during a heatwave hurt anything? Or does the usual rough handling involved in shipping mean that a little heat wouldn't matter anyways? Sorry if these questions seem dumb. My worry is that the thing will be fine for a bit, but crap out in a week or two due to heat and/or mishandling.

That's weird that it would be on, but most modern computers have built in failsafes that would cause the computer to shutdown should a component reach critical temperatures. That said: is it under warranty?