Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah, some fans just have really poor ranges, especially DC fans. The DC fans that came with my case spin down to about 42% (~550RPM), Noctua PWM fans can spin down to under 200 RPM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
It should still be under warranty, right?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I almost spilled my drink into my computer with top ventilation AGAIN and I'm loving done with this since I'm too clumsy to keep using this case safely. I currently have this. The plate with the ventilation is removable. Is there a way to seal it to keep water from getting in or should I get a new case? This is hurting me since this is a great case other than me being terrified of destroying my computer.
Silverstone has exactly the case for you :v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Af6bhAkZF0&t=614s

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

ufarn posted:

Are the "resistor cables" for my Noctua D14 redundant with BIOS controlling fan speed, or do they still serve a purpose?

I noticed my computer is kinda loud today, and some of it is coming from the Noctua.
They can reduce the maximum speed if the BIOS mandates 100% speed for a certain temperature.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Gromit posted:

Surely your PSU and CPU fans would be the loudest thing?
I don't know about that, a good cooler should be nearly inaudible and modern high end PSUs don't spin the fan at all at low loads.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
It varies from unit to unit but the quietest are very quiet and the median is still pretty good:

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Hold The Ashes posted:

If my motherboard has 3 PCI 3.0 x16 slots does it matter if I plugged my GPU into the middle one instead of one closest to CPU? Big honking rear end Noctua heatsink would make it really hard to take back off.
Usually only the top physical x16 slot is actually x16 in bandwidth, the others being x8 or x4. Though I'm not sure if any current GPU really needs x16 over x8 right now.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

A Strange Aeon posted:

Anyway, so assuming I get a decent intake fan and install it, you think my temps will go down ~15 degrees or so? That seems incredible to me, that a fan can make that big of a difference, but I'm obviously psyched if that's the case, since it seems like a fairly inexpensive fix.
Imo that is an unrealistic expectation for a single case fan. The CPU cooler itself is the main bottleneck so the problem (if there is one) is probably to do with the mounting and paste if anything.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Hold The Ashes posted:

The main bottleneck probably isn't the CPU cooler, the h500 with stock fans was created for negative pressure only with both fans in stock position being exhaust, one in the back and one in the top. The h500 is just a nightmare with no additional fans used. Here's the HardwareCanucks talking about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWIS9ILc3jY&t=165s
There's nothing there suggesting that adding a fan would drop temps by 15C.

GamersNexus has some actual numbers where adding a front fan lowered temps by single digit degrees: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3309-nzxt-h500-case-review-thermals-noise-vs-s340

Not that adding fans isn't a good idea. Just pointing out that 15C is an unrealistic expectation.

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 7, 2018

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Well, the CPU cooler is still the main bottleneck when it comes to CPU cooling. A 15 C change isn't typically something you get by changing around fan positions, but you definitely can get that from changing coolers, eg to stock cooler or AIO.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Hold The Ashes posted:

Are you purposely just acting retarded at this point?
lol, am I really posting in a way that warrants your hostility?

I linked an article which contains this graph:

Which has the specific example of adding a 140mm fan as an intake, the literal exact option being discussed.

the article posted:

We did three standalone tests not in the stock configuration: no top filter (unnecessary for exhaust), additional 140mm intake fan, and both 120mm fans moved to the front intake slots.
All this in response to the original question (which you didn't seem to realise I was responding to?):

A Strange Aeon posted:

Anyway, so assuming I get a decent intake fan and install it, you think my temps will go down ~15 degrees or so? That seems incredible to me...

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
It'll work but you have to send the same PWM signal to both and you can only get an RPM reading from one.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I'm guessing it's the Cougar QBX, relatively common ITX case with an 80mm intake at the front.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Taima posted:

And if so, why doesn't youtube bother making actual 1080p content as good as it can be on native 1080p screens?
Compressing 1080p video to a blurry smear saves them a lot of bandwidth and storage.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Is there a thread in sh/SC or elsewhere for the subject of headsets for audiophiles that include mics?
There's a general headphone thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521

Headsets for people who really care about sound quality aren't really widespread though, so the common advice is to buy a microphone (eg a ModMic) separately.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Also watch your frequencies and voltages to make sure the motherboard isn't doing some auto-overclocking boost enhancement nonsense.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

netcat posted:

I have something like that except the usb 2 and 3 cables are in the same sheathing so I thought there might be some backwards compatibility thing going on, but obviously 2 is a separate cable.
I think if it's the motherboard connector that's the problem it'd still be possible to use a 2->3 adapter, though obviously you'd be limited to 2.0 speeds.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Worth nothing that toslink can't do surround in PCM either, doesn't have the bandwidth so it's stuck with DD/DTS.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

I haven’t had that issue :shrug: it works great on my steam deck and does improve the sound quality. I’ve also never heard that before when people suggest it in the headphone thread
It's probably due to people wanting to listen at ear-damaging volumes or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Summaries of youtube videos from the comments sections of r/hardware posts