Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

We have an issue at our church I would like help with. I think I know what to do, just have never done it before, and seeing if there is anyone who might be able to make this as painless as possible.

The church has two routers that service the building.

Netgear N600
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-N600-Wi-Fi-Router-WNDR3400/dp/B0041LYY6K
TP-LINK Wireless 300Mbps
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-300MB...ireless+300mbps

People can hook up to the wireless on Sundays freely. This was ok for a while, but the amount of connections has grown so much, the wireless is now dropping out constantly (which I assume is due to the sheer number of people connecting to it)

This is an issue because the tablet based system that checks children in and out of the nursery needs the wifi to function.

The easy answer is change the password and don't tell anyone what it is (my suggestion, ha ha). But, they want to continue to allow people to use the wifi, so in an effort to keep the necessary connections functional, I told them I think we should throttle the bandwidth via one of the routers and make it a "guest" connection. Maybe give them access to only 30% of the bandwidth or whatever. Basically, if their connection drops, it's not affecting the stuff vital to the function of a Sunday Morning.

I am fairly familiar with networking, but haven't set up 3rd party firmware like this before. Googling the issue tells me to "Install DD-WRT on your router and make sure that you have QoS options enable QoS on a second guest router", but I was making sure this was the best option, and what the risks are, thanks. I can provide any other info you might need.

TL;DR Wifi dropping due to high connection volume, need to understand how to create a guest connection with bandwidth restrictions to avoid affecting connections of vital functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Geoj posted:

I would hardly call providing free internet for churchgoers on sunday as a "business setting."

And unless he goes to a megachurch I doubt they're going to want to shell out several hundred dollars per AP, especially if their current wireless solution is a sub-$100 residential gateway.

Yeah, agreed, probably not, it's fairly small.

Can I enable QoS on the default firmware and just priorities the tablet MAC address?