Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
So I have a HDD that's failing on me. I started to notice because when browsing the files on that drive everything was slow. I managed to copy most of the content to another drive. However I have about half a dozen of remaining files that I can't seem to recover using the Windows Explorer. The files get copied really slowly (like 1.2 MB/s) and then get stuck at 0 MB/s:

Thing is, Windows' chkdsk tells me the disk is fine. CrystalDiskInfo can't even read the SMART values from that drive. Is there anything I can do to try and retrieve those files? All the "data loss" software I've tried seem to look only for deleted files, not corrupdated/hard-to-read ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Rexxed posted:

I've used roadkil's unstoppable copier to move things off a dying drive a couple of times:
http://www.roadkil.net/program.php/P29/Unstoppable%20Copier

If the stuff on the disk is too corrupt it won't be able to get it, but it won't fail out like the windows file copy. Turn on the logging so you'll know what files it can't get when it's done.

I tried this after you suggested it but didn't work. It seems that if the software gets stuck all you can do is reboot because you can't kill it :/

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

spiny posted:

another possibly dumb question:

What would be the best router for a 500meg leased line ?

yes, it's 500 meg, 500/1000 line. Normally we sell up to 100/100 and use Draytek gear, which works fine for us. But checking the specs on Drayteks, the WAN throughput seems to be listed at 300meg - does this mean that the pinch point would then be the router ? If so, what routers would you gusy suggest?

The service is a literal 'wires only' as in the provider will terminate a cable with an RJ45 on the end, no managed switch etc.

I would recommend a professional SOHO device. Check Point's are great: https://www.checkpoint.com/products/600-appliance/
They are the leading professional firewall vendor and they are really good. One of the reason I like them is the actual performance you get is pretty close to what the datasheet claims (unlike other vendors). I have personally tested this using that kind of hardware-based load generators.

Note that if you use the IPS the performance drops *a lot*, which is normal. But you don't have to buy/use that feature (when you buy the device it comes with 1 year of IPS/Anti-virus/Anti-bot subscription but you don't have to enable them). Another good thing is that it's got built-in IPSEC VPN which is the best encryption you can get if you're into that sort of thing.

Another very good device is the Fortigate 60D: https://www.fortinet.com/products-services/products/firewall/fortigate-entry-level-firewall.html

Fortinet is the main Check Point competitor in the Enterprise and Carrier market. Both are really, really good.

Disclosure: I know this first-hand because my job is to test Enterprise- and Carrier-grade firewalls and other network devices. I know very well the makers of these to brands for several years as customers.

E: The price for each of those is around $1,000.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Could it be an issue where it goes to Hibernate/Sleep but then can't get back up? Try to check the Windows settings for that.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Mikojan posted:

Is there any thread on SA where I can ask some questions about USB microphones?

If its here:
Could someone recommend me a cheap microphone (<50€) to record some stuff for youtubing?

Do humanity a favor and don't record with a cheap microphone. Just buy something Yeti second-hand or on sale. I got a Yeti Blue for 60€ and it's pretty much perfect.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

LogicalFallacy posted:

The cheapest mic recommended in LP is the blue snowball, which runs about $60-70 new. The most recommended is the blue yeti, for about twice that.

Yeah but that's the brand new price. You can find a ton of them on the second-hand market in perfect condition.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I wouldn't say "user" because it's really "host" (since the technology uses IP addresses to apply the QoS fairness) but otherwise it's a good explanation. There are also ways to grant more or less priority to specific hosts or streams, and some device will have QoS kick-in only when needed (ie: available bandwidth reaches its limits).

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Not sure if my problem is hardware or software-related so I'm picking this thread.

I have a sound issue on my Windows 10 PC. As soon as some 3D is showing (ie: I'm playing a game) there's a weird noise coming out from the speakers. It's hard to describe, I guess I could say it's a low-end kind of "humming" sound.

I have really good speakers (Yamaha HS-5 monitors) with XLR connectivity to an Asus Xonar Essence One DAC. I can play audio files just fine, with bit perfect and all, but as soon as the graphic card starts doing some 3D then the problem kicks in. I can still hear the games' audio, it's just that there's an extra "noise."

Where could this come from? I suspect it could be power-related, that is when the graphic card stats drawing power some electrical weirdness happens and generates white noise that's caught by the speakers or DAC or something? Is that possible?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Puddin posted:

Coil whine off the video card under load?

Never had it but it could be like with high powered car stereos when if you don't cross power and speaker cables at 90 degrees it inducts a whine through the speakers.

Is the coil whine noise supposed to come out from the speakers though? I suspect this is not the cause because I had the same problem (although to a lesser extent) with my previous graphics car?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Re: recovering drives. People who do that regularly or need to recover data should definitively try SpinRite: https://www.grc.com/sr/whatitdoes.htm

It's like $80 but its magic works. Also this software is twenty loving years old and still maintained.

It restored a couple of my drives that seemed dead but weren't. I didn't need to recover the data but I put them in my NAS and they lived on for 2 more years before I upgraded to larger ones.

PS: I'm not involved with this at all, I'm just a happy user.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

teagone posted:

That looks like an interesting solution. Never thought of searching out used enterprise components. So, in the eventual scenario that I'd want to add a 4-drive RAID array to my Plex server, I could get that card and use this mini SAS to 4x SATA cable?

[edit]
For now though, I have 2 older hard drives in external enclosures that I want to extract and make them internal drives. I'm tired of the 25MB/s transfer speeds (mainboard only has USB 2.0 ports). That's what the molex to SATA adapter was for actually; I had 3 external drives connected via USB to my Plex server, but took one out finally and made it internal, making use of the last SATA port on my mainboard.

My case still has room for 3 more 3.5" drives, so might as well make use of them before opting to go with that 5.25" drive cage thing. I think a consumer grade SATA card might be better for the two external drives I plan on breaking out of their enclosures, but yeah, it's really hard finding any concrete info on what's actually decent for just a 2-port PCIe SATA card.

Different people will have different opinion about RAID but I'm against it. The problem is that if your RAID card dies, you'll need to have a spare one with the exact same chipset. Otherwise you can't rebuild your RAID array. Sometimes even within the same brand they are not compatible. Just saying. Some RAID expert will probably contradict me here.

As for SATA raid cards, I paid something like $30 for a 4x ports version in my NAS and I hit 80 MB/s write speed without breaking a sweat. It's been on 24/7 for six month and doesn't show any sign of problem. If it does break I'll just buy another one, they're cheap.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

apropos man posted:

So in one paragraph you're against RAID and the next singing its praises?

A SATA card isn't necessarily a RAID card. It can just be a PCI-E card that allows you to hook more SATA drives in, but the card doesn't have to do RAID. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Eletriarnation posted:

I don't know about more professional solutions but Intel advertises being able to move any ICH* based RAID to any other Intel system that supports the same type of array (as in, you can't put RAID5 in ICH5R because it only supports 0 and 1) and it should work. If you're going to use a dedicated controller instead of the Southbridge, I'd recommend either having a model that you know you'll be able to get a replacement for if needed or just using a software RAID. Windows Storage Spaces is pretty simple to set up and also advertises being able to move the array to any system that supports the same feature, and for Linux you have a couple options including Greyhole and mdadm.

Yes software based is what I would recommend (on a budget - enterprises have way more options of course, but they are all costly), but not using soft RAID itself but rather newer filesystems like ZFS or btrfs. These file systems have built-in RAID-like functions and actually fix a couple of problems RAID has (write hole).

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I believe that NASes like Synology use "soft raid" from an onboard chipset. So it's not purely software (ie: not handled by the OS) and that means you run into the same problems as hardware RAID (this is my understanding of the situation, I could be wrong).

I'm using the exact same setup as you and I went for 1 SSD for the OS and 4 HDDs for the storage. I'm using ZFS because if my OS somehow goes wrong any other Linux OS will be able to read it from the drives, even on a completely different system. I went with NAS4FREE as the distribution (because it's enterprise grade and comes with a GUI I can work with). You don't have to use ECC memory for a home use.

I know some people are considering Rockstor (http://rockstor.com/) which should handle btrfs properly for you but I haven't personally tried it. Check oit the NAS thread for more details.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
edit: wrong thread.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'm looking for a dock/KVM of sorts.

I'm working from home like most. I have a nice 4K display, a good audio DAC, keyboard, mouse and high end webcam. The thing is my work laptop has none of that, and using RDP from my desktop to my laptop isn't ideal (WiFi has problems coping with RDP at 4K).

So I'm looking for a hub/dock/KVM of sorts. I'd like to be able to connect my screen as well as up to 5 USB devices to that dock and be able to switch which computer uses them - my desktop or my laptop. The closest I could find was this but it seems pricey.

Does anybody know of a good KVM that could work for my use case?

E: Well, I settled for this. Be careful when choosing, some of them say "4K" but actually cap at 2560x1600

Furism fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 29, 2021

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
What's the best and fastest way to clone a drive these days? I haven't done that in years.

My mother's laptop has a lovely 500GB 5400 RPM drive so I bought her a 1 TB SSD. My goal is to bring my USB -> SATA cable, clone her current HDD to the SSD and then swap the disks.

I don't mind booting on some SystemRescueCD type tool/distro, or doing it from Windows, whatever works best and fastest. I just need to be sure the MBR and stuff is also carried over so it actually acts as the first bootable device. What are my options?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
As usual, Goons deliver.

Thanks Marcus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

MarcusSA posted:

This no question.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Don’t try anything else because it won’t work as well.

Wanted to check back in. This worked wonders, the cloning took exactly as long as you'd expect from 500GB 5400 RPM drive, but beyond that the software did its job perfectly.

Had to diskpart a bit to bust a bunch of useless Lenovo partitions but now the laptop found a second life.