Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I'm trying to install a 2nd hard drive on my Windows 10 pc. I've tried two different drives and neither of them show up in windows or bios. One is a WD caviar black and the other is a samsung spinpoint. It sounds like they spin up. Do I need to set the jumpers? Mobo is a Z87 mpower. I thought sata cables would automatically detect the drives and assign them. Any ideas?

edit: nm swapped power cable works fine

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I'm using my dual shock 4 on Windows 10 with ds4windows for steam games. It's been working fine for months. Then last night the controller just dropped the connection mid game. When I try to reconnect nothing happens. I've tried repairing, reinstalling driver and two different Bluetooth devices. Restarted ds4windows. The Ds4 will connect for a few minutes then drop again. I read somewhere that a recent update broke ps4 and X one controller support. Anyone experienced this?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I have a pair of old hard drives I'm trying to recover data from. I've used three different linux live CDs/USB, plugged both drives into a USB enclosure. Nothing comes up in fdisk, gpart, windows disk utility. I don't hear the disks spinning up either. These drives are DOA correct? Is there any other way to retrieve data off of them?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Sorry, should have been more clear. I used three different linux live boots on the systems the drives came out of, a desk top and laptop, respectively. The live boot worked fine but again, absolutely no sign that the disk is alive. I tried the enclosure on two different systems. Additionally, the enclosure works fine with another healthy drive. Update: I plugged the desktop drive into my Desktop PC with mobo power and sata. Disk spins, the drive appears in disk manager as uninitialized. When I try to initialize it says file not found. Not sure what else I should try.

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 23, 2017

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
In the last couple days my pc has started to freeze and I'm wondering if my video card is on the way out. I can't get through a game overwatch without the screen freezing completely, no graphical glitches just a hard lock and the background audio continues. Sometimes it will recover and continue playing but mostly it just locks up. I can't even quit the game with task manager. I've reinstalled graphics drivers to no effect. The temps on the video card appear normal. I do anything else besides play games on this machine. I'm really at a loss as to why this has started happening when it's been working fine for months and years, specs: 4690k 970gtx 8gb ram win10 all stock
39 minutes ago

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Rexxed posted:

Did you reinstall graphics drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller? It's a utility that boots into safe mode and removes all of the driver cruft that's in there, allowing you a clean install. It could also be some weird issue with the latest Windows 10 updates which have varying problems depending on people's systems, or even a hardware failure. I'd try DDU then install the latest nvidia drivers first, though.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

No, I just used the geforce experience custom install. Sounds like DDU might be worth a shot though.

Do you have a link for the win10 issues though? I'm wondering if I can roll back the updates in Win10 and see if that does the trick.

edit:
I'm wondering if this patch is the culprit. Seems eerily close to when my issues began to crop up.

fishmech posted:

Question: does your computer also have integrated graphics you can fall back to? And if it does, when you try to do things while using it do you get the same sort of hard lock stuff?

If you do get similar crashes than it's something besides your graphics card at fault. Otherwise, yeah just replace your GPU and it should be good.

Good idea. It looks like the i5 4690k has integrated graphics so I'll try disabling the 970gtx and see if I get the same issue.

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 7, 2018

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I just bought an acer predator monitor that I've got hooked up to my gaming pc via the single DisplayPort connection. I'd also like to hook the monitor up to my work laptop for an external display but my laptop only has USB C DisplayPort connections. Is there a relatively cheap device that I can switch between the pc and laptop connection for the monitor? My gaming pc is running 1440p 144hz gsync if that matters. Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Geoj posted:

You want a DisplayPort A/B switch.

Do you have link to one that's recommended?