Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
This might belong in some sort of A/V thread, but I'll try here first:

List of HDMI Devices connected to my TV:
-Chromecast
-Fire TV
-Steam Link
-PS4
-DVD Player

Number of HDMI Ports on my TV: Two

I think I found the part I need, which is a Multi Port HDMI splitter but these things can be hundreds of dollars. Surely there is a cheaper solution out there for what is no doubt a super common problem people have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
And free shipping to Australia? I'll take it!
Thanks

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Currently doing research on a NAS and everyone seems to be extolling the virtues of a UPS and how it's a must have accessory. I can understand the benefit if I'm home during a black out as it gives me the opportunity to shut down my hardware properly, but what happens if I'm not home? Is the UPS rendered completely pointless or is there still some benefit of having one?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My parents laptop has died and they are asking advice on a new one.

They don't use the laptop as a portable device, they have a larger monitor plugged into it along with a mouse/keyboard/printer etc. As such I've tried to point them towards are pre-built desktop PC (can't be bothered sourcing/building myself) as the specs poo poo on the equivalent priced laptop but they "don't want to have something else under the desk"

So I've been looking at mini PCs/NUCS which seem cool but I don't know anything about them.
Can anyone provide some insight?
How does their specs compare to similar priced laptops?
Do they use standard SSDs/RAM and are they upgrade/replacement part friendly?
Will they poo poo my parents needs?

They use the PC for general word processing, emails, web surfing and dad likes to dabble in some home video editing of their holidays. They're looking to only spend about AU$800