Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I actually don't mind that aspect of the redesign SCP headers. They seem to defeat their own purpose being so busy but I guess you want things like the D-Class to know what kind of doc to holler for should reality start disintegrating around this wing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

DoctorWhat posted:

While it's not at all suited to actual campaigns, if you want a game designed for SCP style stuff, look up "Anomaly" on itch.io!

That game is a lot of fun. I've played it twice now and it's a great way to drink with friends!

Ghost Toast
Nov 4, 2005

Are there PDF collections of SCP-3000+ floating around anywhere?

Also what are the best exploration logs? I've been going through the archive numerically and am almost to 2000. A good exploration log can make an otherwise mediocre SCP into something amazing imo, I love them.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Are there any SCPs that are like, a cardboard box that closes itself?

Sure, it sounds like it should be Safe, but the more powerful the method used to open the box, the more powerful the response to close it and neutralize the force responsible, and there is no exception made for natural disasters or accidents. Worse yet, aside from the anomalous methods employed to close the box and neutralize whatever opened it this time, the box itself is just made out of plain cardboard... best not to let just anybody know one day there could be retribution against entropy itself because a flimsy box got too old to avoid falling apart, of course.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Got my list of Reds trimmed down for full-design candidates. Safe-Reds are 'Jijicjilojoun Fruit' [Object], 'Don't Ask' [?], 'Crown Of Blood!' [Object], and 'The Body Island' [Ritual]. Euclid-Reds are 'The Masterless Sword' [Object], 'Into The Quiet' [Ritual/Location], and 'Ultravillain' [Object/Entity]. Keter-Reds are 'Idealistic Cancer' [Phenomena/Entity], 'Emperor From Hell' [Location], 'Nobody There' [Nonentity], and 'The Summer Forgave Our Sins' [Ritual/Phenomena]. Lastly there's the one Keter-Black, 'Megalith Seed' [Object].

Feels best to first get all Reds out of the way, and then all Keters. The real fun is in designing Euclids and Yellows, and it's good to get the temptation of the extreme SCPs out of the way first.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
http://www.scp-wiki.net/diamond-is-not-kush

I don't know if anyone here read my Jude's Bizarre Adventure Series, about Jude Kriyot of GAW on the run from The Critic of AWCY. But I finally finished it. Obviously I think it owns.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Splicer posted:

SCP-3664805 is to be contained in a standard 4 metre x 4 metre x 4 metre gas chamber at site 49
It would be in Site 167 because that's the forumID of PYF.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=167

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

49 is the ID of the section that contains the gas chamber/septic tank however.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Ominous.

Full image.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

There. Rough final list of SCPs is now categorized.

SAFE
Blue: Cheeseburger Spirit Animal! - Quantum Coin - A Porch Full Of Raccoons - One Day, Everything Has A Skeleton
Yellow: Fusion Machine - KNIFECRIME - Night Equation - The 12th Palette - Mirror Hall - Burning Bird
Red: Jijcjloujun Fruit - Don’t Ask - CROWN! OF! BLOOD! - The Body Island

EUCLID
Blue: Blake Street Boys - Sky Spiders
Yellow: Imber - IMMORTAL DOG - The Murdering Space - Chjotzo - Eden You - Scaler - Extended! (Using Artificial Intelligence) - Angelic [Modern Dialect] - Maverick Housebot - Ultimatetube - The Sequel II!
Red: The Masterless Sword - Into The Quiet - Ultravillain

KETER
Blue: Metal Slime
Yellow: Fallen Sunlight - Backrooms - A Cheap Apartment
Red: Idealistic Cancer - Emperor From Hell - Nobody There

KETER-BLACK
Megalith Seed - The Summer Forgives Our Sins - Cheeseburger Spirit Animal!

MariusLecter posted:

Ominous.

Full image.

Clearly that one Megaman 2 boss

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-5926

This is one of those wish fulfillment SCPs I was talking about. A furry's fursona comes to life validates furries as A Real Thing, and then teaches the initial furry to become her true furry self.

Completely independent of your opinion of furries this is exactly as cringeworthy as Jeff the Super Cool Sword Man by xXxSephorothxXx and for exactly the same reasons

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I disagree, because I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with wish fulfilment, and my objection to it largely centers around the quality of the wish.

If your wish is to be bigsword mclargehuge who is an rear end in a top hat to everyone and who reads as utterly unlikeable to anyone over the age of 15 but who is in universe portrayed as the coolest dude in the room, that's a terrible wish and terribly executed, so anyone who reads it is going to dislike it.

But there are wishes to which we can relate, and a well written one can effectively utilize empathy to make us understand and empathise with the character and author, even if their wishes are not entirely ours.

Kenowhere, I think, is wish fulfillment, of a sort, but it is grounded and well written, so it is enjoyable to read and leaves you with a positive if bittersweet feeling afterwards.

As to that particular one, I don't really get it as such, it's describing something a bit alien to me, but I don't really have a reason to dislike it. I would think that it probably resonates with a lot of people and I don't see anything wrong with it, it's not like thought entities are an unheard of thing for the foundation and I don't see anything really objectionable about the content.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

If your wish is to be bigsword mclargehuge who is an rear end in a top hat to everyone and who reads as utterly unlikeable to anyone over the age of 15 but who is in universe portrayed as the coolest dude in the room, that's a terrible wish and terribly executed, so anyone who reads it is going to dislike it.

Or more perniciously, Professor Sherlock Smarterthanyou O'Cleverman, an enlightened science doctor of rationalism and logic who is nonetheless a rogue and renegade and always has the perfect sarcastic retort for any emotion-driven human resources staff who dare question his methods of being completely unprofessional and abrasive.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

I disagree, because I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with wish fulfilment, and my objection to it largely centers around the quality of the wish.
I don't have a problem with wish fulfillment, I have a problem with wish fulfillment SCPs. And I'd argue that an SCP where your fursona comes to life and becomes your friend is just as juvenile as wanting to be a mysterious coolguy that everyone likes except the jerks who are scared of you instead.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Black August posted:

Clearly that one Megaman 2 boss

I had a fever dream about these ball turrets appearing on ceilings and the procedure is to ignore them. Don't look directly at them, don't talk about them or hint at them in anyway. Get out of line of sight or out of range and call in MTF Sperry's Ball Gags.

They appear in a foundation office adjacent to a containment unit. The team aware of the danger goes about normally and quietly sends one researcher to alert site security. The ball turrets focusing attention between personnel nodding and speaking vaguely with seeming suspicion.

Before MTF can arrive to contain the event, a researcher from a separate department enters the office. Before anyone can do anything about the situation they look directly at the ball turrets and begins to ask "Why did you install ball turrets in the ce--". All ball turrets focus their twin .50 caliber guns on the researcher and fire approximately 1500 rounds of FMJ ball ammunition into them and killed immediately. Other personnel are injured by shrapnel and debris but nothing life threatening.

Also, Exploring the SCP Foundation: The Scarlet King
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPBbsEbCcbU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Splicer posted:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-5926

This is one of those wish fulfillment SCPs I was talking about. A furry's fursona comes to life validates furries as A Real Thing, and then teaches the initial furry to become her true furry self.

Completely independent of your opinion of furries this is exactly as cringeworthy as Jeff the Super Cool Sword Man by xXxSephorothxXx and for exactly the same reasons

I'm also really not fond of indigenous religion/"weird shaman poo poo" being used as the explanation of how an Anglo-named person's fursona got externalized into her fursuit -- that's some pretty textbook "indigenous cultures and traditions exist for white people's spiritual betterment" poo poo.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I laughed pretty hard at this and I don’t know how I feel about that http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-5706

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

World War Mammories posted:

I laughed pretty hard at this and I don’t know how I feel about that http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-5706

i snickered but i don't really think it was because the article was good

i have nothing against funny or joke scps, like, gamers against weed is one of my favorite things on the entire wiki, but the thing with GAW is that for the most part they capture the feel of internet memes (even ignoring all the other stuff they've got going on) - while this scp is literally just a meme expanded into a full entry. literally namedropping todd howard kind of put it beyond the pale imo

edit: you know it wouldve been funnier if instead of being an STD (i still dont understand the joke there) the skyrim isekai poo poo was caused by a bug bite

y'know

because

bethesda

thats not good but i think its still a humor tier higher than that article

dmboogie has a new favorite as of 07:41 on Jul 17, 2020

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

speaking of GAW, there's a conclusion to jude's bizarre adventure: http://www.scp-wiki.net/diamond-is-not-kush

it's good

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Speaking of speaking of GAW...

lesbian_gengar is still the best loving username.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

freemandela posted:

speaking of GAW, there's a conclusion to jude's bizarre adventure: http://www.scp-wiki.net/diamond-is-not-kush

it's good

Yesss

YESSSSSSS

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

This is so much fun

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Nice. I like how faithfully recreated the different site layouts are.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

freemandela posted:

it's good

I’m glad you liked it! The Critic was super fun to write.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Agree with others, the evidence/captured images from internet places feel fully authentic and that makes it much easier to suspend your disbelief. I love fiction that I can lose myself in. You don't even notice it when you start reading, but you end up fully engrossed and twitch back to reality when the words end.

On a similar note, what newer entries have good exploration logs? Some of my old favorite articles like The Red Sea Disc and the non-Euclidean mountain fortress that fires artillery shells full of mice, they are great at absorbing you into the narrative when you are reading it. There's also that abandoned coal mine(?) where the team is progressing through a tight vertical chasm, and they do a body check to make sure everyone is okay, and supernumerary human shaped bodies respond to the radio call before all hell breaks loose

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

WITCHCRAFT posted:

There's also that abandoned coal mine(?) where the team is progressing through a tight vertical chasm, and they do a body check to make sure everyone is okay, and supernumerary human shaped bodies respond to the radio call before all hell breaks loose
If that's the one I'm thinking of, at least one extra team member sneaks in prety early, it just takes them a while to notice

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
It's below us.

Deep.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

Zereth posted:

If that's the one I'm thinking of, at least one extra team member sneaks in prety early, it just takes them a while to notice

Oh I remember that one. I went to read it again but I can't find it.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2951

Too long.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

ZoeDomingo posted:

Oh I remember that one. I went to read it again but I can't find it.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-3333 ?

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

No, that's not it, but it's definitely one I remember as well. Nice and horrifying.

That's it, thanks!

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

Grand Gigas posted:

I’m glad you liked it! The Critic was super fun to write.

very cool to read

i've never watched jojo, is “Any Colour You Like” a reference to anything?

freemandela has a new favorite as of 07:06 on Jul 21, 2020

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

It’s a Pink Floyd song. Stands are named after songs usually.

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

oh i thought the critic was just being an rear end in a top hat

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

He also was just being an rear end in a top hat.

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

gamer against weeds? http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-4914

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

one of my favorite SCP-001 proposals

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2798

http://www.scp-wiki.net/kalinins-proposal

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I liked 2798 but I tried to read 001 and it went:

• click on 001, read it
    • click on harbinger, read it
      • click on 411, read it

and then I realised the entire rest of the submission was going to go like that, and I didn't want to end up reading 50 articles just to read one story thread so I gave up

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Jul 24, 2020

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

quote:

rocknrow: the least he could have done was make it grow actual WEED

You hosed up, Takeovermetal :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

If I understand right, is this whole thing a consequence of screwing up containment on 2303 and bringing a discarded utopia plan into reality?

Dr. Arbitrary has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Jul 25, 2020