Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I made it through about 75% of it before my brain started to just fail to retain anything, but my understanding is humanity tried to create a sanctuary, to escape to a place where things make sense, where rationality and cause-and-effect exist as concepts, and SCP-001 is the reality we escaped breaking back through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

PMush Perfect posted:

I made it through about 75% of it before my brain started to just fail to retain anything, but my understanding is humanity tried to create a sanctuary, to escape to a place where things make sense, where rationality and cause-and-effect exist as concepts, and SCP-001 is the reality we escaped breaking back through?

Here's what I got out of it:

There's this building: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2303

It's a building full of bad ideas that never actually got implemented. The leader of the MTF, Rojas, says that they once got tempted to pull something out that they found on the roof because it was too beautiful to let disappear.

This idea was to create a perfect planet surrounded by torture moons, it was a really bad idea and they didn't do it, but 2303 undid that.

This perfect planet was awesome, but the moons sucked, but they were allowed to have technology and society and stuff. Earth decided to escape, set up consensus reality to make us hard to find/touch, and now the utopia is broken and wants Earth back. They're also going to take the proactive measure of cutting off everyone's hands so that we can't escape again.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Here's what I got out of it:

There's this building: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2303

It's a building full of bad ideas that never actually got implemented. The leader of the MTF, Rojas, says that they once got tempted to pull something out that they found on the roof because it was too beautiful to let disappear.

This idea was to create a perfect planet surrounded by torture moons, it was a really bad idea and they didn't do it, but 2303 undid that.

This perfect planet was awesome, but the moons sucked, but they were allowed to have technology and society and stuff. Earth decided to escape, set up consensus reality to make us hard to find/touch, and now the utopia is broken and wants Earth back. They're also going to take the proactive measure of cutting off everyone's hands so that we can't escape again.

I think you only get your hands cut off if you are sent to the Planet of Hands. The guys sent to the Planet of Eyes and Planet of Skin presumably got their eyes and skin removed. I can't imagine that Planet of Skin dudes live long enough to starve to death. The other planets used to have civilization, they were exiles but still had all their normal human abilities, but the ones who were mad about being exiled made weapons and stuff so the exile was changed. Now the torture planets have no food or water, so the exiles die within a few weeks.

All of which is in service to the paradise planet, the idea that was so beautiful the guy tried to take it out. On the paradise planet everyone is immortal for as long as they want to be. No one suffers. But creation is essential to the human psyche and without kids people go crazy, so they keep procreating which would eventually lead to over-population and suffering. To prevent overpopulation some people are randomly chosen to be exiled to the suffering worlds. Which, again, were originally just normal worlds where suffering and death was allowed to happen (probably a lot like earth) so that the paradise planet could stay perfect.

I don't think they care about earth at all. Or anything else in the chaotic universe outside their perfect system.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Lots of good SCP inspiration from this artist, but this just speaks to me
https://twitter.com/csmgllz/status/1288255515663818755?s=20

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Are there any SCPs that are like, a cardboard box that closes itself?

05...something that comes between 054 and 056?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Okay, this is interesting.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Parahexavoctal posted:

Okay, this is interesting.

It is, but it's a classic case of a SCP going that bit too far. It really oversold itself with the whole ITS LITERALLY IN CHRISTIAN HELL AND THEYRE DEMONS MWUHAHAHA when something more like "Well sir, we're very disappointed in you. All right, everyone, let's take it from the top." and then the loop message happening again would have worked a lot better.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RPZip posted:

It is, but it's a classic case of a SCP going that bit too far. It really oversold itself with the whole ITS LITERALLY IN CHRISTIAN HELL AND THEYRE DEMONS MWUHAHAHA when something more like "Well sir, we're very disappointed in you. All right, everyone, let's take it from the top." and then the loop message happening again would have worked a lot better.
It's also an extremely obvious ripoff of a popular tv series I will not name because spoilers

Anyway
https://mobile.twitter.com/intelligentwat/status/1289758395055185926

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Splicer posted:

It's also an extremely obvious ripoff of a popular tv series I will not name because spoilers

it just read to me like a bad knock off of 682

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Marx Was A Lib posted:

it just read to me like a bad knock off of 682
The monster is an in-universe bad knockoff of 682. The SCP is that the monster isn't real, the Doctor is in hell endlessly repeating a numbers-filed-off version of a fuckup he made with 682 until he learns to be a better person and accept his own culpability

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Splicer posted:

The monster is an in-universe bad knockoff of 682. The SCP is that the monster isn't real, the Doctor is in hell endlessly repeating a numbers-filed-off version of a fuckup he made with 682 until he learns to be a better person and accept his own culpability
There's really something very Foundation about the note-at-the-end that's just like "Yeah, this sucks for him, but it keeps the anomaly almost completely self-containing."

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Actually that's what doesn't work for me, it's not really an SCP entry, right?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Completely unrelated to the current entry under discussion, I think this entry succeeds where the other fails:
SCP-5545: Abnormality

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Completely unrelated to the current entry under discussion, I think this entry succeeds where the other fails:
This was the one I was talking about?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

PMush Perfect posted:

This was the one I was talking about?

Well now I'm confused because I thought my post was the first link to 5545 itt

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

CommissarMega posted:

You hosed up, Takeovermetal :colbert:
Gamer's Against Weed is such a simple formula and so easy to fall apart with too wacky a humor, but nothing wrong with a simple delivery when it works again and again

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

SCP-4974, "Literally Pikachu".

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
That lept from amusing to depressing quickly

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

That lept from amusing to depressing quickly
Kind of a cheap shot, going straight for WHOOPS DEAD KID, but it still worked, so...

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Yeah the twist is kind of predictable, but I love the idea of someone learning forbidden dark magic to create a real live Pokémon for their kid. And the description of the “crime scene” is great.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Three horse wombs

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Actual Paracelsus homunculus ingredient iirc, not something made up by the author

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

goblin week posted:

Three horse wombs

Two turtle doves.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Parahexavoctal posted:

Two turtle doves.

And one perfectly normal, ordinary toaster.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

A few years ago there was a popular little side blog or story on the SCP about a female agent and an oncoming apocalypse that was really well written. It included a cool idea for SCP 001 and (I think) included this idea about an American diner that had been transported out to sea?

Anyone have any ideas?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

that might be Dixieland Nightmare Magic? it includes 2558 which is a church that's been transported out to sea

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

biosterous posted:

that might be Dixieland Nightmare Magic? it includes 2558 which is a church that's been transported out to sea

Thats the one. Thank you. Looks like its not active anymore which is a shame.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Apropos of nothing, has anyone noticed any login oddities on the website? I've found I was logged off, went to sign in, went fine... and the page still says "Create account or Sign in" afterwards.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 01:28 on Aug 10, 2020

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Apropos of nothing, has anyone noticed any login oddities on the website? I've found I was logged off, went to sign in, went fine... and the page still says "Create account or Sign in" afterwards.

http://www.scpwiki.com/third-party-cookies

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

A few years ago there was a popular little side blog or story on the SCP about a female agent and an oncoming apocalypse that was really well written. It included a cool idea for SCP 001 and (I think) included this idea about an American diner that had been transported out to sea?

Anyone have any ideas?
What's that, something that even vaguely reminds me of They're Made Out of Meat? I bet you can't guess what happens next!

It's me linking They're Made Out of Meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tScAyNaRdQ

Again.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Given the repeating of the phrase SCP-5545-2 is contained in Site-344-2 I was expecting it to end with some sort of Pee is stored in the balls reference.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
But the SCP is stored in the halls

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

What's that, something that even vaguely reminds me of They're Made Out of Meat? I bet you can't guess what happens next!

It's me linking They're Made Out of Meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tScAyNaRdQ

Again.

Thank you!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's the kind of work of art that deserves sharing everywhere, at every chance I get.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Oh, the Pika-homunculus reminded me, what was that SCP where someone bought an ancient and eldritch tome (I think from MC&D) and successfully performed the demon-summoning rituals within, all to get revenge on his annoying neighbor?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SerialKilldeer posted:

Oh, the Pika-homunculus reminded me, what was that SCP where someone bought an ancient and eldritch tome (I think from MC&D) and successfully performed the demon-summoning rituals within, all to get revenge on his annoying neighbor?

New head canon: This is how ALL scps happened. There are a lot of eldritch tomes out there.

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

SerialKilldeer posted:

that was a djkaktus joint, it's fun

http://www.scpwiki.com/scp-2270

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

my dad posted:

Actual Paracelsus homunculus ingredient iirc, not something made up by the author

speaking of homunculi, i like this one because it played off of historical alchemy

http://www.scpwiki.com/scp-2311

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

Splicer posted:

But the SCP is stored in the halls

emptyquote

i prefer 5683 because it's punchier and has great foreshadowing, it's more rewarding on a reread than 5545

they're both really good takes on the same concept

freemandela has a new favorite as of 14:39 on Aug 12, 2020