Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Okay, yeah, fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

Between the among us scps and poo poo like this http://www.scpwiki.com/scp-5383 I feel like I’m being gas lighted and that I’m getting too old for this poo poo :(

the opening setup is alright but then it just does nothing with it. I was hoping for, like, instead of just an integer overflow, it's some flaw in the cosmic sin-calculating algorithm that only triggers in increasingly convoluted situations. a race condition involving the conversion of values of avarice to their temperature coefficients, I dunno. the foundation debugging the divine software has legs, just "turns out if you're evil enough it rolls over" doesn't go anywhere

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AmiYumi posted:

Okay, yeah, fair enough.
Full reworks are often better, but previously good ones where someone (including the original author) comes back and adds a little bit on are usually worse

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

the opening setup is alright but then it just does nothing with it. I was hoping for, like, instead of just an integer overflow, it's some flaw in the cosmic sin-calculating algorithm that only triggers in increasingly convoluted situations. a race condition involving the conversion of values of avarice to their temperature coefficients, I dunno. the foundation debugging the divine software has legs, just "turns out if you're evil enough it rolls over" doesn't go anywhere

O5-11> You guys should have just taken my advice and offloaded all your atrocities onto Researcher Kain Pathos Krow. Dude's got a free pass.
O5-1> Wait, how? The Pope told me he couldn't do that.
O5-11> Maybe not for you, but all dogs go to heaven.

World War Mammories posted:

BLAGGAROTH: Okay, okay, I've got another one. There's a pointer corruption exploit you can use where you desync your sin counter and point it to the admin record upon death, so you count as a flat 0.
STERLING: Isn't that just Christianity?
BLAGGAROTH: gently caress.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 21:36 on Mar 27, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The idea of a Sin Konami Code that wipes your sin count is a funny idea and a great idea for a viral tweet but when expanded into that particular SCP entry it just goes awry real quick.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Kazinsal posted:

The idea of a Sin Konami Code that wipes your sin count is a funny idea and a great idea for a viral tweet but when expanded into that particular SCP entry it just goes awry real quick.

When you put it this way it also sounds like the setup for Dogma

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I just don't like how it suggests that Christianity is apparently real and exactly how modern organised religion describes down to every tiny thing being sinful. Like Christianity is a religion that has been twisted out of shape for nearly 2000 years. And it's exactly right. Every dickhead fundie? Yeah they were right. You could argue that its a kind of consensus reality bending thing where the belief has made it real but there is no such backstory here so it kind of just wants you to take it as face value.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
literal hell has been a scp for years

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

As have Ice Cream Hell and Giraffe Hell, although Giraffe Jesus might have Harrowed that one.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The one true god is a corn god: http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-1846

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sitting in my car, bored, as my wife is grocery shopping, and I'm starting with the baby.

There should be a SCP where there's someone waiting in a car to pick someone up, but the passenger can't find the car. No matter what the either does, they can't find each other. They send pictures of their locations to each other, but even if they go there, the passenger or the car / driver can't be seen.

Maybe even get a team that also experiences the phenomenon. It lasts until the parties return home or try to see each other again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I didn't know they started using "skip" in universe until I read a couple ones I hadn't before last night (wanna say it was the one with the cave that leads to an alternate Earth where everything died at once). I'd never said or thought "SCPs" as a word (always S C Ps) so it was weird enough seeing it in discussion of the site.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

IUG posted:

Sitting in my car, bored, as my wife is grocery shopping, and I'm starting with the baby.
That's a euphemism I hadn't heard before

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Lottery of Babylon posted:

SCP-1730: What Happened to Site 13? was really good, and then they added later updates that completely shifted the tone and killed it.

i'm just gonna say it: i like this one, dumb later updates and everything
sometimes i just want some trashy milfic in my creepypasta i guess

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

StillFullyTerrible posted:

I agree with this, yeah. A lot of the time the logs are just like "Everything here is spooky and everyone we send in dies and there's something super dangerous lurking in here" and that's it. This time they're like "well, if we're going to do this, let's send in Team Motherfucker" because of COURSE there need to be times where you can actually get poo poo done.

If every single exploration is like "we sent in our best men and they were all hideously murdered in the span of an hour" then it doesn't sound like the places are scary, it sounds like your teams are loving incompetent.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I started reading that one last night and peaced out when I saw how many entries it had. Now I kinda wanna go back and see where later updates turned.

I really dug the premise of the infinite Ikea store but found the staff aspect silly. Think it would've been great if it was just the store.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Groovelord Neato posted:

I didn't know they started using "skip" in universe until I read a couple ones I hadn't before last night (wanna say it was the one with the cave that leads to an alternate Earth where everything died at once). I'd never said or thought "SCPs" as a word (always S C Ps) so it was weird enough seeing it in discussion of the site.

Started here, I think. In 2011.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

WITCHCRAFT posted:

I like this version, because biology is really fuckin weird and gross. Sure, on some other planet the dominant life forms require a commensalistic virus to reproduce. This does not happen on earth (as far as I know) but like, it could happen. And would make sense.

Stranger things happen in real life on this grody sphere of water, mud, and cells that we call home. You could even say, that...

life, finds a way...

The placenta has some wierd poo poo of this nature going on , fyi.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

StillFullyTerrible posted:

:same: I also like that it's at least a little self aware, what with that one agent calling Samsara 'Power Rangers' and all.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
It's a good initial idea followed by a neverending mountain of references. And why do they keep sending people into the grinder to die??? It makes no sense when reading it, like the descriptions make it very obvious to the reader how these dudes keep getting hosed up, but they just keep sending people in unprepared and underequipped.

It's more like what would happen if the site appeared outside some random medium-sized city and the local authorities kept sending in units of the goddamned Minneapolis Police Department or something.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Tunicate posted:

BLAGGAROTH: Okay, okay, I've got another one. There's a pointer corruption exploit you can use where you desync your sin counter and point it to the admin record upon death, so you count as a flat 0.
STERLING: Isn't that just Christianity?
BLAGGAROTH: gently caress.

the concept of christianity being a lovely kludge written by a frustrated god who couldn't track down why sincalc.exe never outputs good people is very funny to me

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Parahexavoctal posted:

Started here, I think. In 2011.

Shows how much I've been keeping up on things.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/dQt5HED.mp4

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Presumably that is an early form of the nose crab SCP before it became subject to carcinisation.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

OwlFancier posted:

Presumably that is an early form of the nose crab SCP before it became subject to carcinisation.
SCP - Secure Crab Police

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

https://youtu.be/-VjbYI-eaTQ

the music of this makes the while thing feel like an SCP for some reason. like its a memetic virus

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV1aKUdlljU

Feeding D Class to this because a researcher likes the dance.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There is real pain in that animated rubbed mannequin's eyes.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
This would work great to show that you can test using other tools rather than blowing the face off a D-class.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
but they're prisoners which means they should die or worse, not die

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Between the among us scps and poo poo like this http://www.scpwiki.com/scp-5383 I feel like I’m being gas lighted and that I’m getting too old for this poo poo :(

I like the idea of a system overflow. That's it though.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h6K9CnywVMA&list=PLLW1cZ97BlD8zsCcN-zBtsUBK1Eql2tGB&index=1

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://mobile.twitter.com/soapachu/status/1381695261098045441

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5joIiYiVrA

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Just remembered this cool one.

http://www.scpwiki.com/scp-3096

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Ariong posted:

:eyepop:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ariong posted:

It's very easy for temporal loop SCPs to end up either trite or incomprehensible. Nice to see one that does something fairly new and in an extremely efficient and digestible way.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's a small crinkle of additional dimension to the usual timeflow issues, and it does something fun with it that I like. Time stuff needs to be allowed more small complexities and changes like that to introduce something more interesting than just hopping timelines.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Random idea it gave me: set areas used for controlled stoppages of timespace that has a unique 'pileup' effect, where a set point in the future is stopped or slowed down to a near-infinite amount. There's a conservation of time-mass call it, and it acts like a car pileup, in that the set point is stopped, but it takes time for all the timeline behind it to slow down and 'crash' into the stopped moment.

What this does is send the future back to the past, in a pileup of chunks and points in time intersecting and crashing into a determined or random point in time before the stop point. So you have a cube the size of a small safe. You set the point ahead to 2100, and the pileup point to the second you set it. Everything in that safe's area, from 2100 to your present now, gets piled up and crashed through. Small areas are good because this is a violent and devastating thing to do. The safe fills with stuff from 2030 first, a chunk smashing through, with whatever is in that same relative space in 2030. Then it does it again, with stuff from 2047. Then 2055. Then 2057. Then 2062. Then 2088. Then 2090. Then 2100. Maybe it piles up twice, maybe it does two hundred times. This might take a day, or much longer depending.

You're left with whatever pulverized or intact matter managed to survive, with 2100 being the most intact as the one displacing everything before it. The trauma is that you're creating micro-moments of time disruption, which makes this best used for remote mineral sampling. And you need to be careful what you might accidentally intersect through time and bring back in the pileup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

That reminds me of an SCP, but now that I am looking for it, I cannot find it. If it still exists, perhaps someone can dig it up. I believe it was an area within which objects are time dilated. Several figures are visible within the area, and one is running toward the perimeter as fast as they can. The problem is that if they exit the anomaly, their momentum will carry over even as their time goes back to normal and they will instantly accelerate to near the speed of light, causing a world-ending disaster. Does anyone know the SCP I'm talking about?