Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I was trying to figure out why it was 096 for a bit, before I realised it specifically wasn't 69.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

It's all fake you ignorant sluts.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Roro posted:

I'm pretty sure the discussion page, talking about him being banned for trolling, is legit. But by all means, prove me wrong. I mean that sincerely.

Googling the name brings up absolutely nothing apart from this page, not even pages from the SCP forums. :thejoke: isn't enough here. It's literally just a bunch of nerds jumping on the joke bandwagon.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Dunbar_disappearance

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

Oh yeah I know about all of that. But in the last thread I specifically remember one of the objects getting multiple downvotes because it was a sphere (it was the one that was like a satellite type deal that had data from alien communications on it iirc). It was a really solid article too, it was a far cry from the "cube or sphere with spooky effects" style articles and a long time since that was even an issue since it was in the thousands; it was obviously being downvoted because of groupthink without anyone using their brains.

There's an old internet story about scientists doing an experiment on chimps - there's a banana on top of a ladder, but every time one of them goes for it the sprinklers go on and they get drenched. Eventually they start beating everyone up who goes near the ladder so nobody will get drenched. Turn the sprinklers off and they won't know because everychimp who goes near the ladder gets mobbed. The next step is to swap out one of the chimps for a new chimp - after a few beatings, he starts joining in, even though he has no idea about the sprinklers, because this is just what you do. Swap out all the chimps, one by one, and by the end all the chimps beat up anyone who goes near the ladder and nobody has any idea why.

And that chimp's name was SCP Foundation.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

It doesn't need to have actually happened to provide an instructive example of What Not To Do, otherwise Aesop is kicking himself somewhere in the cold void of the afterlife.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I wrote SCP-970! Holy poo poo it got to +190 when I wasn't looking. I am feeling smug as gently caress right now.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

Explain your edgy self. I really wanna know what's back there.

Man I wrote this in 2012, this is not what I'd write nowadays and I'm kind of annoyed I went for such a cliché route. I can't remember what the first one was, but I do remember that the second one had the members of the research team are staring straight into the camera at all times (as the probe rover camera thingy is moving) and their faces are starched still and their eyes popping out just a little too much and their irises are missing. Which is what I saw in my nightmares a couple of weeks before I wrote it.

And you know what, I'm making this utterly canon for the symbols in blood: the triquetra from Charmed, the Apple logo, the Creative Commons symbol, the ISBN code for Dan Brown's Angels and Demons, and the state flag of Maryland. One or more of these is so dangerous that the Foundation removed it from the record. You decide which one.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Somewhere in my drafts there's "Light Switch" - a switch attached to a broken lamp that makes it float when you switch it on.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

JackMann posted:

So, qntm posted a cool thing.

This is pretty fantastic. SCP-055 was always one of my favourites.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Grand Gigas posted:

Yo! I just wrote an scp, and I thought you guys might like it. http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2852 It's my second scp. For this one, I wanted to focus on what a conservative organization like the Foundation would consider "inimical to humanity"

This one is super loving cool and you got my upvote. I vote the Cicada God for next pope

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Oh my gooood my first SCP, SCP-970, ended up on containment breach

and deviantart

and there's a god drat fan song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSyQx9zdQAM

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Oh my god when I have the energy I am going to steal the poo poo out of that idea.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

One Weird Trick to extend your lifespan, discovered by a mom. Economists hate her!

Nothing supernatural involved, just a diet that includes significantly more [REDACTED] than your recommended daily allowance and drink 8 glasses of water a day.

They'll declassify it at some point but as of now, we can't have people retiring at 65 and then living ███ years on into the future.

I was actually going to do something like this at one point, but a bit differently - One Weird Trick that CURES ALZHEIMERS! The truth doctors don't want YOU to know about kale! Except whenever you test it, the entire phenomenon collapses, and somewhere else in the world an ad pops up saying Eat Whatever You Want And STILL Lose Weight!! Just Add Our Secret Supplement ;)

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2204

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

RickVoid posted:

That's odd, there's one in my kids room. I swear there wasn't one there before.

get out of the house, you don't have a kid

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Parahexavoctal posted:

One I found today:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2251 , "the Prince". Try to guess what that title refers to before you click.

God loving dammit.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Oh, I imagine they'd just immerse it in hydrochloric acid.

It'd have a whale of a time.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Parahexavoctal posted:

This one's interesting - http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-2602 .

It used to be a library.

It'd be nice if it said that somewhere in the article IMO.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

That's The Remains of a Chair.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

SCP-2420 - A Good Dog

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Hey, I wrote a new SCP that is a very fast horse that just wants to win the Kentucky Derby.

Freudian has a new favorite as of 01:22 on Jul 27, 2015

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Re: Magical Negro, I found myself writing "Caucasian" and wondered why he had to be white, so changed it to black.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

The Weight of the World A Donkey and its Cart

EDIT: now pointing to the right loving SCP

Freudian has a new favorite as of 11:22 on Jul 29, 2015

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

I've got issues with the execution, but I like this one

http://www.scp-wiki.net/we-need-to-talk-about-fifty-five

By the same author: Introductory Antimemetics

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Hah, took me a second to work that out. That's a good trick.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

No, he dropped his pen, and wrote down with his pen that he'd dropped it. Don't overthink that or try to explain it. Just accept it.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Can someone post spoilers of the solution? I can't be bothered about logic puzzles.

quote:

Some dudes already posted all of the answers in the comments if you just want to blaze through it.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

I wonder if it could power an industrial paper towel factory or some part of the dispensation?

As the author, I can confirm it will power any machine that has the sole function of dispensing paper towels - imagine a dispenser stretching across the Niagara Falls, vast reams of towel cascading down into the pool below. But stray not from this purpose, there is nothing to be found off the beaten track.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

A Sinister Device - my latest assault on taste and decency. I hope you hold it dearly in your heart

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I really love the bowler hat idea - it ties into a lot of what I like most in an SCP, particularly whether or not the Foundation's attitude and policies ultimately obstruct its supposed goals. Kind of like the treatment of the GOC in that one teleporting chair SCP.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Does anyone have a link to any of the old SCP threads?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Australian Selkie tries to set out the truth of what REALLY happened that fateful October morning. (ASIO please don't shoot me)

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCP_06F6

Also, I wrote a new one! SCP-2179 - False Alarm.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

I can't seem to find an old favorite of mine. It was the pair of doors that, apparently, were linked such that going through one meant you came out the other, but eventually they figure out that they actually lead to adjacent, slightly different versions of reality. When you step into one, a you from the other side of the reality chain walks into your world, creating the apparent loop. The more doors you go through in the same direction, the more divergent the universe.

Is it still around?

I wrote that! SCP-970 - The Recursive Room

Glad you liked it :)

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I'm an inspiration!!

quote:

Item #: SCP-2903

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-2903 is located in [Data Redacted]

Description: SCP-2903 is an unknown phenomena similar to the infinite hallway/room SCP. However, Dr [Data Redacted] has found this to be a specific roomed phenomena. This was sighted in [Data Redacted].

Anyone entering the room will fell, altered, like someone is taking them over. The victim will start to wander the room looking for some way to die. Even attempts to locate the entrance the victim came in have been unsuccessful. After 30 minutes of exposure, the victim will be [Data Redacted].

Dr [Data Redacted] has not been found since.

SCP-2903 has been surrounded by MTF units and cameras monitored by the Foundation. Class D Personnel must be transported on a bi-weekly basis.

Please note: Mysterious objects/figures have followed Class D personnel after about 15 minutes. These objects are not hostile until after about 28 minutes, where they will begin [Data Redacted] until the victim is dead. No one has survived longer than 31 minutes.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

It's worth noting that the good bit was put in a year or so after the initial grimdark poo poo. I promise I'm not the same person I was in 2012!!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

^-- absolutely. As a writer, it really grinds my grits when people use the medium of fiction to talk about things that have meant something to them personally.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

GeneX posted:

I don't know if this is sarcastic, but there's a time and place for it. A collaborative sci-fi/horror fictional universe is not the place to express perfectly reasonable and understandable thoughts on discrimination towards and bias against transpeople, nor is it the place to discuss one's far less reasonable avid love of a webcomic.

If a collaborative sci-fi/horror fictional universe was apparently the right time and place for me to express my feelings about
automatic paper towel dispensers
, I'm not sure why trans women are any different.

Freudian has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Mar 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I vote to replace the Gender-Switching Rock with my new article, the Gender-Switching Rock, a rock that changes gender when you touch it.