Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
625: anklebiters?

Still described as rats so far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
So they're rats, but some of them don't necessarily conform entirely to rat-like physiology.

Yet enough do so that they are still recognized as rodents for the most part.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

what is huey but a second hand emotion?

But what's that got to do with it?

Come back when you've got the news.

:suicide:

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Triple Elation posted:

I think it's better to stop at "we have commented out code for a whole insect in our DNA" without proceeding to "if we activate it you literally become an insect". I'm curious enough to know WTF it's doing there in the first place.

It might work as a cross between cancer and Morgellons :shrug:

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Oh, that's actually pretty neat. It's going for funny rather than gridmark/overdramatic and doesn't do half bad.

*edit*

I am an enormous baby that don't remember things gud when sick, apparently.

*edit2*

Finished watching the series. Pretty good, funny, but it seems like they're barreling down the path of turning their amusing test subject protagonist into a jrpg hero or something. Excited to see what they do next, regardless.

A Terrible Person has a new favorite as of 15:14 on Apr 19, 2018

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Parahexavoctal posted:

D'you want me to send him a PM through Wikidot about this?

No, I'm editing that out in just a moment. He and I actually talked about this over a year ago and came to an understanding. I was coming down with a fever that evening and was delirious all of yesterday. Apparently I got triggered when I wasn't in a particularly good state of mind.

He's good, we're good, I just was just a massive forgetful baby.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Ariong posted:

Got it!

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1730

I really like this one. The buildup is good, and after so many SCPs with horror movie exploration logs featuring the explorers getting picked off one by one, it’s a fun change of pace for the Foundation to have a response to it. I understand that this is a horror site, but it gets boring having every article end with the Foundation people getting slaughtered and the higher-ups going “welp, now that we’ve met our death quota I guess we’ll put a lock on it.” Finally for once they get to say “okay, we’re sending in the big guns.”

EXIT: Like, hey, maybe for once the Foundation could actually display some proficiency in dealing with anomalies?

I really liked this one for showing how the Foundation can handle poo poo they normally can't: sending in a crew of immortal cyborgs, lol. That was pretty cool. The descriptions of various SCPs in action without calling them out was nice, too.

Still hate how The Old Man was characterised, but that's just what happens when intellectual rights are exchanged. Neat interaction regardless!

Splicer, were you the one who wrote the article for that character? If so, still not a fan of it, but you're awesome regardless. Sorry for being a whiny pest in the past.

This was amazing! The chatlogs actually had me tear up a little bit.

A Terrible Person has a new favorite as of 18:39 on Feb 22, 2020

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

SerialKilldeer posted:

Yeah it's great. One little detail I liked was how the anomaly referred to the D-Class guy, Robert, by his actual name, when the foundation still insists on using a number.

How about how it's impossible to know what it looks like since it ceases to exist when looked at.. until Robert taught it to draw and it drew itself!

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

Thing about 682 is that it’s an old article. So assume that the foundation threw it into acid before it showed itself to be dangerous. Maybe they threw some d-class into the acid to make sure acid is still acidy. Maybe the lizard makes acid not acidy. And it’s been mad ever since so they did what they do and put it into a tiny box in its own little hell. Ahhhh classic scp.

Back in the day acids were harmless. Sure, they'd react with alkaline materials; but that was about it. Limestone caves formed from erosion, heartburn was an imbalance of humors, and hydrofluoric acid was nothing more than a mineral bath.

But add just one angry lizard to a pool full of trainees? *poof* Suddenly acids can melt you into goo.

At least the lizard melted, too.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Silly name, goofy concept to start with, but a stunning indictment of the Foundation. Especially since it implies the ethics committee approved of the redactions.

Chilling.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

alexandriao posted:

is there a utility to back up my posts

i have memory problems so I back up stuff or i literally never remember it

Haven't tried it myself, but this apparently archives threads:

https://github.com/thecog19/SAArchiver

Edit: Sorry, couldn't get more information on individual posts and that direct link might take more personal work than necessary.

Try looking into the discord servers being shared onsite. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will help you out from there.

Good luck!

A Terrible Person has a new favorite as of 05:25 on Jun 25, 2020

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

What's that, something that even vaguely reminds me of They're Made Out of Meat? I bet you can't guess what happens next!

It's me linking They're Made Out of Meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tScAyNaRdQ

Again.

Thank you!

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Just take Stephen King's life and bibliography and add "amnestics," and "post-hypnotic suggestion" to turn the whole thing into the Foundation trying to delay his magnum opus for as long as possible.

Every King trope or faux pas or whatever is SCP floundering to cover up via "find and replace" something outside their control while desperately trying to keep him relevant and popular while they stall for time. Now that they know his eventual nightmare tale is better than the alternative...

They readily admit that the van was low-brow and distasteful, though. But

He will write the End.

The End can be delayed.

He cannot be Ended

You already had a specific cliche phrase in mind, didn't you!? You've doomed us all!

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Dammerung posted:

Then we have nothing to worry about! Everybody knows that Stephen King can't write endings.

Splicer posted:

This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but with an uhhhh I guess it was jesus and/or aliens

I... kinda wrote that post while a bit hosed up and got everything jumbled. It was bad and I feel bad.

The idea was that the terrible tropes actually tie everything together as weird rituals/signs but the endings and certain plot points have been retroactively changed to prevent disaster. King's entire literary career has been the result of the Foundation trying to control him.

The drug use and alcoholism? Exacerbated by increasing amounts of amnestics until he straight up doesn't recall writing entire books (written while amnesticized?), perhaps involving a couple of near XK events. The van didn't take him out, so he then goes and compulsively adds himself to a story as a failsafe. The latter years of his life involve refined containment protocols (magazine spots, sports radio, co-writing with Owen, online publication, even his degrading eyesight) but he just keeps drifting back to short stories and novels nonetheless.

He can write a good ending. He has written a good ending. The Foundation cannot allow him to do so again. But he will.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
:golfclap:

Also, username/post combo

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Dado produce great content.

Carrot, cumquat, potato, esquince, chixpea, cauliflower, rice... you name it is Quality.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Grand Gigas posted:

This is the top-rated tale for this month, despite my posting it so late in the month. I feel very happy about this.

Not surprising.

As much poo poo as everyone else gave you, I am sure that it resonates with a lot of people. It did for me, now that I finally read it. Very, very familiar intimate thoughts screaming back at me from the screen in a listless, melodramatic, relentless format that I am... well, intimately familiar with.

Even been there with a "these blades are too dull to override my self-preservation" way without actually bending, lol.

There's a bit in the middle that's out of place, but I will have to reread and get back to you on that.

Great work. Haunting.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Grand Gigas posted:

Okay be honest if you were on a website with a weird obsession with visibility and ratings, would you use your chances to get on the front page on little known gems or your own work?

Maybe I’m just shameless.

I literally started slap-fights with someone else who used an old idea of mine for an SCP years afterwards because the end result was nothing like the original idea.

I get it.

I'm also an absolute tool, so take that with a grain of salt.

*Edit*

But, still, how the hell do you turn the ghost of a liquefied corpse into a transdimensional pedophile rapist that's only notable feature is that it continually evades all but the strictest containment? Oh and it's also acidic somehow?

*Edit2* Apparently still big mad, like a total jackass

A Terrible Person has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Jul 13, 2023

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
The old man comes drip, drip, dripping down the wall.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
You heard that drip.

Now what do you do?

How do you justify it!?

*Edit* bad timing

But you loving heard it

A Terrible Person has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Jul 13, 2023

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

AmiYumi posted:

There’s that classic SCP edge I remember :allears:

Yeah, and it was a legacy post by a founding member, so...

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
SCP-106.

I workshopped it, couldn't get a clear storyline to work, and eventually gave up on it. Next thing I know it's a major story with a bunch of backing that took my original idea and went off into left field with it.

The original idea was a nightmare I had, and the thing showing up in reflections (and everything) since even the most opaque-seeming objects cast a reflection.

It was originally just an old guy who died alone while taking a bath. But he persisted. And people noticed. And the people that noticed somehow let him spread.

He's dead. He's gone. He has ceased to be.
But, somehow, you hear an unexplained dripping noise. All the sinks and faucets are dry but *drip*

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Goddamn. The specs on the cell for that dude are crazy huge. 47ft of wall for each side and top and bottom, not including his big his actual walking space is. You've contained a SCP in an office building, basically.

Exactly.

The draw wasn't the SCP, it was the (early hundreds) protection.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Duderclese posted:

This sounds flatly better than the one we got.

:shrug:-

A Terrible Person posted:

The old man comes drip, drip, dripping down the...

They totally showed me up. I'm just repetitive.

A Terrible Person has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Jul 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

A Terrible Person posted:

*Edit2* Apparently still big mad, like a total jackass

I probably wouldn't be so pissed if I got some accreditation, officially, and not something lost on the discussion page:

Dr. Gears posted:

Just try not to think of it on your ceiling…

…waiting…

…staring…

Honestly, this is a tune-up SCP for me. been out of it for a bit, but I hope to knock the dust off and show some of the new folks (and hell, old folks) that I still have the knack. Err…I hope…

Glad it unsettled at least one person…

See!?

My loving idea pulled him back into full form, yet it was all him. I let him use it and get no credit. It pops up everywhere and it pisses me off and I'm constantly thinking "gently caress you" every time an SCP video pops up because, inevitably, a likeness of 106 pops up.

I fleshed out the idea and then offered it to Gears because I absolutely sucked at the clinical writing style. Then he loving preened and crowed about his amazing idea and the effort writing it.

Either give me a mention in the footnotes as a credit somehow or take the entire article down. I'm loving sick of being reminded about how my waking nightmare became a caustic pedophile.