Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Keter seems to be the one that confuses people the most. To get straight the point: It's about it's potential to cause mass exposure of the true weirdness of the world combined with difficulty to contain once it's out. It might be pretty harmless but if it would get seen by a large amount of people with little to no way to stop it then it's Keter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Crane Fist posted:

Okay that just makes it even better

From the last interview I read involving that guy he is unrepentant to this day and dislikes how the site moved away from wacky self-insert adventures. The twat.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Honestly, that Catgirl Harem article kind of put me off SCP stuff recently. I thought the wiki had grown beyond that sort of thing.

Don't do this. Everyone needs to stop treating the bad SCP they just found as if it represents anything relevant. Even if it was new, which is isn't, it is transient like any other SCP. Just move on. There's over 3000 now and people still like to go "oh I read SCP such and such and SCP is now bad forever". There will be more good SCPs and there will be more bad ones. Speaking personally I find there are very few terrible SCPs that get over 200. I'm indifferent to the catgirl one. I've never read it and it doesn't interest me but it doesn't make me angry either. I'm happy for it to exist. I think the only 200+ vote ones i've ever had problems with is some of the 001 proposals. Those tend to be so gimmicky or weird or that terrible 001 which is basically "judeo-christian mythology is actually real there isn't a gimmick here god is real and there's this angel" which leaves me cold. Same reason I dislike the old "Able" stories. No one ever did anything interesting with him. He is literally Able. gently caress off.

Regarde Aduck has a new favorite as of 12:51 on Apr 26, 2017

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Crane Fist posted:

Hmm yeah that's a compelling read, I am very interested, my biochemistry PhD is in the mail I swear

Sorry but you're just uneducated. I don't have a Phd in biochemistry. I just went to school and have a passing interest in science to the point where I've picked up a lot of poo poo. Stop being an arrogant little prick and try learning about the world.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Man, I'm reading these SCP and while a lot are fun/interesting, D-Class are almost always portrayed as "what a child thinks criminals are like" or something. Like someone went "hmm what are criminals like" and just made them aggressive people who curse a lot.

edit: And then the Foundation people in these stories always interact with the D-Class like they're literal subhumans and become exasperated at D-Classes being afraid of these Obviously Terrifying things.

I feel like there's some sort of really ugly conclusions to be drawn from this regarding the way your average nerdy middle class (probably white) person perceives criminals.

Yep. It's lovely. And guess what, it's not as bad as it used to be. I've actually seen articles where the researchers tried their best to keep the D classes alive. They never succeed because grim dark rules but baby steps.

In some scp' the foundation is written as the most repugnant irredeemable organisation ever. The problem? It's rarely intentional.

Regarde Aduck has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Jul 28, 2017

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

MariusLecter posted:

Is this how other people felt about the fourth dimensional brain eating spiders one? Cause Zzzzz 😴

That one's great. Stop being bad.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

MariusLecter posted:

I liked the spiders one, I meant the people who didnt like it must have felt the way I do about the dentological one.

Oops. Comprehension fail. Sorry.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

funmanguy posted:

This one is real good. Solid spooks

That one or red reality should have won 3000. Not that boring eel. No offense to the author or fans of the boring eel. It just didn't click with me at all.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Just assume all D-Class are talking lab rats unless stated otherwise. Lil foulmouthed criminal rats with grey and black striped jerseys.

The foundation would still be terrible. It's still cruel to throw a lab rat into the dungeon dimensions or throw it into a giant sentient blender to see what happens (rat got blended - need to do it 150 more times to make sure).

Most of their tests are so pointless and appear to suggest the researchers are really bored or trying to justify their paycheck.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

This one is not only a very well executed SCP concept, but also does something that very few SCPs do: The Foundation doing actual honest-to-god research. It becomes clear as you watch it that they have done a whole lot of boring, repetitive, comprehensive tests in order to figure out the exact parameters of the anomaly.

One of the better writers. Rarely depends on grimdark as a hook. I really like the Dixieland canon as well.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

andrew smash posted:

Thanks all, yes the dead/not dead thing is pretty clear. The "it looks like there is meaning but actually there isn't any at all!" is pretty stupid though, in my opinion.

Why? In a world of anomalies there's going to be things that we just can't comprehend. Something is going on. Something has gone badly wrong. But the anomalies ability to warp conceptual perception makes it extremely hard, if not impossible, to fight against. In fact that's the only problem I have with it. It's so powerful. Reminds me a bit of 3125 but that saga did have a win condition even if it was going to be very hard to reach it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

yook posted:

Part of why the perceive as live/dead infohazard SCP didn't jive for me. Half the log is a red herring that should be thrown out, ok, whatever. Then it sort of tries to halfway follow that the viewer is experiencing the infohazard but not all the way. The interviewer "expires" (how do we know this?) when they realize the truth, but we still see their dead body as requiring multiple guards to restrain? The corpse's lips start rotting when they state the unspecified (huh?) 3 words, but they're still seen as alive when they're dragged away?

The author's trying to drop hints without giving it away, but it seems to make it logically inconsistent in the process. If this were a movie, it'd be that small frame of time where the audience stand-in character is almost, but not quite yet, understanding what's going on. Maybe they could do something like this by establishing whoever did the transcription died shortly after. There seems to be the implication that the foundation knows what the nature of the SCP is since they censor the 3 words, but give enough detail that whoever's reading the log could figure it out. Seems like you'd just have the words be {inaudible} if the foundation hasn't grasped what the SCP is, or have some kind of minimum infohazard resistance level warning at the start of the log if they had.

Underlying idea is super neat. Just seems like there wasn't a full commitment to some basic facts such that rereading it after knowing the answer is less of an "Ah ha!" moment so much as "there must be another answer because this seems like it couldn't possibly be the right one".

The infohazard is conceptual, not perceptual. It’s not inconsistent to notice the lips rotting off. The hazard is that what is obviously a dead body no longer registers as a dead body. There’s no illusion. Under the effect of the infohazard it is consistant that the interviewer is both ‘dead’ and requires four guards to restrain him because dead and alive have been hosed with as concepts. He’s not ‘seen as alive’. He’s seen as moving which no longer contradicts the concept of ‘dead’. Other than that yes reading all this outside of the anomalies range is going to make little sense. It’s like a similar scp where there was a hosed up conceptual space in a basement and a load of things got their identities swapped. The foundation ended up wondering why one of their agents, a small leather wallet, wasn’t reacting. The real agent died, locked in a cell somewhere because they identified them as a washing machine. It’s important to realise that in this, like the scp above, no one was seeing the items differently. No one actually saw the agent where it was intact a wallet. It was all conceptual id’s being mixed up. As above so below.

If I’m missing your point then maybe I’m just dumb enough for this to work for me. Small victories.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Zereth posted:

The solution was, of course, not to abruptly make Telekill extremely hazardous, without changing any of the articles which slathered it all over everything remotely psychic. Yet that's what they did.

Besides, these days they use Scranton Reality Anchors instead.

The thing about reality anchors is something like them would need to exist in a universe with thousands of reality bending life forms/objects.

People have wrote a variety of scps and tales trying to make them super dangerous, faulty or just useless. I think that over complicates things. Just make it so these things cause your local area to turn into silent hill if they get even a mundane electrical fault. You give control of local reality to a machine you better keep it maintained.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Funxion posted:

It seems that SCP is beginning to suffer from its multiple self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

While there has been awesome writing and a lot of generally decent writing on the site, the revision, self-censoring and soapbox culture of the site admins is catching up with them. There's a lot of drama going on right now and it's NOT just because of the logo this month, though many claim that to be the final straw. Personally, I'm getting out of there and joining a new site which I hope will not end in it's own drama or politicized nonsense.

Is this you saying you're joining RPC so you can read spooky stories about how "gay people" are actually anomalies?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

Of the SCP-4000 candidates, my favorite is Socratic Containment Procedures. It's drat good. Destiny, Manifested was alright. I disliked all the others I've read except for two.

The First Day of the Rest of Your Life by daveyoufool
This one is quite scary. I like the idea of ☽☽☽, but honestly, it kind of bums me out. This is my feeling after having read all of the SCPs involving them, not just this one, but this one really hammered it home. They're just so powerful that the Foundation is impotent in the face of their might. It's almost more depressing than scary. I like it best when the Foundation is a group of very brave people coming together to hold back the tide of unknowable horror and barely succeeding against all odds. poo poo like that SCP that gets linked at the bottom, where Earth is teleported to the weird afterlife from that other SCP and 99% of the population is taken for, and I quote, "eternal digestion?" That's not really my jam. Like, at that point why even bother putting it on the SCP Foundation website?

Anyway, that's just personal preference. Objectively, daveyoufool's entry is good. I wouldn't mind at all if it became SCP-4000.

Future Imperfect by Ihp

I feel the same. I don't mind grimdark entries but I hate it when it's nihilistic wankery. It's why I hate Kalinin's proposal. A whole SCP about how no one can do anything and the big bad are going to force all of humanity to live on hell planets forever. Great. What a pointless story. Alas it's pretty popular.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Freudian posted:

And it's a first post. A coldposted first post. A coldposted first post X000 contest entry. A coldposted first post X000 contest entry Thaumiel.

Good. The idea that you HAVE to have your scp vetted by a crack team of professional scp critics was dumb as gently caress.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

TheRagamuffin posted:

Ahahaha what an enormous stick in the mud

The grim dark crowd are usually "only scp series 1 are good" types and funnily enough skew towards 4chan/RPC. They're just big angry babies.

Every dickhead who hated the pride logo had at least one reddit post about how no one has ever managed to make something better than 173 or 682. It's amazing how much they overlapped.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Fivemarks posted:

Not gonna lie- I'm a big fan of David Cronenberg, "Weird Antediluvian civilizations", Lost lands, Evil Gods, and evil things crawling beneath the earth.

So saying all of that, all of the good Sarkic SCPs, and the Xia Anomalous Culture group SCPS, are really right down my alley.

Even the SCP that's Hidden underground cannibal rapist Hapsburgs.

That last one IS a Sarkic SCP.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I actually sort of dislike the deeper antimemetic "lore" because of that. Like I think they're well written and interesting stories, but they don't really fit the essential concept of what something that's "memetic" actually is. A meme is just an idea, but the concept is that ideas can evolve and spread the same way genes do. An antimeme would therefore be an idea that's "evolved" to be the opposite - an idea that CAN'T spread, even when someone deliberately tries to spread it. You can't really make an "anti-memetic bomb" any more than you can retroactively change reality to make everyone forget the idea. Which is to say, in the SCP setting, you absolutely can do that, but it's not a purely "memetic" effect anymore. I feel like there's a lot of potential in really digging into the ways that an idea can affect a person, and the way that information itself kind of has a life of its own, but the antimemetics division stuff doesn't really do that. It's just kind of like... what if the information is a MONSTER?

Well yeah we’re dealing with a setting where conceptual spaces absolutely do have an effect on physical reality. There are layers of reality and a hirachy in play. In such a setting of course antimemes become much more dangerous. Of course antimemetic bombs are a thing. It goes bang, wipes you out conceptually and as above, so below.

Also I’m not sure what you mean by ‘what if the information is a monster’ as a criticism. The definition of what’s in the conceptual space and what’s a physical thing has not been fully defined. All we know is that infected people are, in their last moments able to perceive... something. A guy riding a ‘spider’. The ‘spider’ being the idea of some larger ‘entity’ on a much higher plane. And yet it can do nothing to a person that doesn’t know about it. The main danger now being the fact that the thing is constantly seeding reality with conceptual spores. It’s only a matter of time.

I mean I get it, why not reign it in and make this purely in people’s heads. But I think if that’s the case then you’re essentially no longer writing scp style weird fiction and instead writing mundane mental health issue fan fiction. People with ocd and other compulsive disorders can really tie themselves up with thought patterns that oppress and terrify themselves to the point of heart attack. But you can read these stories in medical journals. Without that extraordinary situation where concept is reality and reality is concept we have a load of people thinking themselves to death. So yes, information is a monster. Just literally. Because the real world interpretation is a first year medical student reading a dsm manual and becoming overcome with the symptoms of all the disorders he reads. Something that really happens.

Splicer posted:

Iirc it's explicitly malicious and hates us and is doing it on purpose. That's what makes it an ooo so spooky monster. It'd be more scary if it was just so weird that thinking about it killed you and made you go crazy just because it's so weird.

Yes it’s called schizophrenia and it is scary but also real and there would be no point making up weird fiction stories about it.

Regarde Aduck has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Dec 29, 2018

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
There have always been people that looked at skulls and thought "that's hot". Now there is the internet and they can tell each other. It's really not a big deal. Most of them will be confused young people. And most of them will grow out of it and it'll be a 'quirk'. Now the ones that let it become their whole identity, yeah now there's a problem.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Mad Hamish posted:

This is great, but I'm not understanding why it's Keter-class?

Because it's a website that anyone can access. The potential for masquerade breaking is high.

Also unless i'm misunderstanding it's not totally contained and can keep popping up.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Bear Enthusiast posted:

This was rad but I think I'm completely unfamiliar with anything it's referencing. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/blit.htm

Unrelated but while you're there read http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/colderwar.htm

Regarde Aduck has a new favorite as of 02:24 on Feb 14, 2019

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

GeneX posted:

Nah, the “twist” there is bad and keeping it away from everything else is good

Why is it bad?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

Jesus Christ. :stonklol:

Adam Wheeler is back, get hype! :woop:

Edit: So, obvious prediction, Adam got brainfucked so hard by the stunt Marion pulled that she accidentally(?) made him resistant to cognitohazards.

What IS the timeline? Was the bit where Marion detonates the antimeme bomb the end of the story?

qntm posted:

For what it's worth, I'm as concerned about that as anybody. I find it insanely hard to deliberately not explain things. So, stay tuned and we'll see if I can stick the landing.

Truthfully, I have a hard time imagining a Bigger Bad in antimemetics than SCP-3125. In terms of threat level I think it's pretty much at the upper limit of credible antagonists in this space. But I agree that it shouldn't be the root cause of all evil in the universe or of all antimemetic phenomena. I don't think I've ever actually stated that it is, but I think it kind of feels like it is, because, well, this is a story about SCP-3125 to the exclusion of many other things. So I might find space in the next chapter to make that a bit clearer. There's a whole alphabet of *K-class scenarios out there which didn't happen.

For what it's worth I like when things get explained if the explanation is interesting. I really don't go for the 'it'll never be as spooky as what you can imagine' because well, i'm not a writer and it's very possible the writer HAS imagined something more interesting than I did. I think I might be in the minority on this.

For example the story "the young man" only improved 106. It wasn't spoiled by having a background and origin. Because the story was interesting and well written.

Regarde Aduck has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Apr 16, 2019

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Acute Grill posted:

lmao that you think this is a point in your favor. 2721 is on the same tier as 231 in terms of poo poo quality and weird nerds dying to defend it.

What's your favorite SCP?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I assume most of the people that left still post on SCP under a different name because there's no way they didn't come to regret it when their new community failed to actually attract any new non-nazis.

Apart from CFoperator himself. He's one of those nazis that can't actually interact with people properly anymore because the world has become a quagmire of cucks, betas and jewish conspiracies.

Regarde Aduck has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Jun 22, 2019

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The gently caress is a pattern screamer

Nothing at all.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Kaktus’ new scp is amazing and everyone who hates it is a big baby. It’s basically a litmus test scp. I just don’t know what it’s testing. Haters range from chuds to very much not chuds. I think one side is angry about not respecting the office of the president of the United States and the other is angry that it’s not respecting the office of scp’s. Who knew this is what would bring both sides together.

Can’t wait to see what dumb boring poo poo actually wins 5000.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lol gravitas of a 5000

gently caress you guys

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

alexandriao posted:

Yeah but it's primarily a horror / scifi site and there's nothing even vaguely horrifying or scifi about this other than the magic, which isn't gone into with any depth. It's more of a funny story than anything else, the only thing that sets it apart from it's genre is the SCP format, of which it could be adapted out without losing anything.

e: Oh, it's nice to be reminded of 1322. hartle is one of my fav SCPs partly because of how the foundation just totally assume that they were the same and didn't bother to confirm that. It could have gone so differently had they asked for a blood sample first and done some genetic research. Given the foundation resources that wouldn't exactly be difficult.

It's primarily about 'weird poo poo'.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The better writers were definitely cribbing from spooky internet stories.

There's that episode where there's a tardis like ship pretending to be the upstairs of a house and everyone that goes up dies. It's basically a take on the Dionaea house . Right down to someone downstairs noticing an odd stain on the ceiling.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

I can't view the version history, what is it?

I like Series 1 articles, and I vaguely remember reading and enjoying 018 about ten years ago. It's OK for some articles to be short descriptions of a weird thing.

The shortness could be good. The fetishistic misery porn wasn't. It still happens but series 1 had plenty of authors relishing in inflicting fates worse than death on their cast. Especially D-class. They couldn't hurt D-class enough.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I just take the thaumaturgy as currently impossible to understand processes. No more or less scientific than anything else. Exploits in the laws of physics.

For me magic only fucks a setting up if there are no rules. The majority of fantasy settings are like this. There are no rules other than someone might get a bit tired at a pivotal moment and be unable to cast a spell that they literally just made up. For the most part thaumaturgy in SCP seems to have plenty of documentation and rules.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Hell I'd get rid of my eyes to have a cloaca I mean can you imagine how much time you'd save from the convenience? Unless it's on your face where your eyes would be, that'd be less than preferable.

Edit: what I'm saying is life would be way cooler if I were a bird. Not so good at stopping multi dimensional end of the world scenarios though.

Yes but you're now a blind bird. It's not a great life.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

also, if we have a class for 'an object that you use to hold something securely', THAT is the class that should be named 'safe'

They’re usually dangerous in their own right and the name is essentially the opposite of Keter.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Have they tried not being so mean

Leave the lizard alone

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Thing about 682 is that it’s an old article. So assume that the foundation threw it into acid before it showed itself to be dangerous. Maybe they threw some d-class into the acid to make sure acid is still acidy. Maybe the lizard makes acid not acidy. And it’s been mad ever since so they did what they do and put it into a tiny box in its own little hell. Ahhhh classic scp.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I think dado understanding the suffering it causes is best left ambiguous. It might or might not be able to understand it, but the better question never answered is what it ever really gets out of these business ventures.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

SerialKilldeer posted:

:same: Voct's theory is a great rationalization though.

That's one of my favorite skips, shame about the "OMG creepy red light [REDACTED]" ending. Much more interesting when it's just a confined micro-society descending into horrific chaos. Also, I think there was a companion tale about a commercial that was on the same tape and affected by the same time loop (but without the silly tacked-on ending).

e: found it: http://www.scp-wiki.net/we-interrupt-this-program

Wasn’t the red light thing a theme for a number of scps dealing with layered reality? It comes up in the sopranos scp and a few others. Maybe they’re not related and just a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

SerialKilldeer posted:

Oh, the Pika-homunculus reminded me, what was that SCP where someone bought an ancient and eldritch tome (I think from MC&D) and successfully performed the demon-summoning rituals within, all to get revenge on his annoying neighbor?

New head canon: This is how ALL scps happened. There are a lot of eldritch tomes out there.