Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

xopods posted:

If anyone has anti-air missiles they can aim in my direction they might want to do so tonight.

Buying into the theory that each of the gunsmiths has a specific kind of counter-kill mechanic, I'm a little confused about this post as it was made back on the 23rd. I feel like I can see small parts of the overall structure of this game but replacing in has made it difficult to follow the exact thread of events and information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hey, so, I found Byers' response to xopods claiming gunsmith and credit for the magnus kill

Byers2142 posted:

xopods's town, FYI. bowmore looks pretty good as well. xopods, don't reveal any more about your role.
Haha, wow, that's... a lot more direct than I could have hoped. There's no way to read that other than "I didn't kill magnus, and xopods is accurately discribing how the gunsmith role works, and since I can confirm independently that he's telling the truth about how the role works, I believe him".

It's still unbelievable that we have two townies with exactly the same role and I suppose I can think of scenarios where byers actually did kill magnus but didn't know he did it, buuuuuut... on balance, no, I'm inclined to say xopods is pretty confirmed town.

Incidentally, byers did a drat clever job of seeding his claim here:

Byers2142 posted:

FUEL has the electrolytes Byers craves!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Yeah, I saw that and struggled with it to, but the conclusion I came to is that it's still just not definitive and I don't feel comfortable staking the game on Byer's response. I might be misinterpreting gameplay mechanics though. Is fuel a requirement for the counterkill mechanic and do we know everyone who was granted a counterkill n1?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I mean, fair enough if I'm being an idiot, but it seems like we're staking the game on some big assumptions.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Somberbrero posted:

I mean, fair enough if I'm being an idiot, but it seems like we're staking the game on some big assumptions.
I don't see how byers reacting to xopod's claim with "okay he's town STOP GIVING THEM ALL THE INFORMATION XOPODS" can be taken in any way other than "this matches information I have too".

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Also, why are you so sure it's LYLO, somber? We're up by my count.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Somberbrero posted:

Is fuel a requirement for the counterkill mechanic

Yes. Note how the three of us have been very open about wanting fuel.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CapnAndy posted:

Also, why are you so sure it's LYLO, somber? We're up by my count.

Oh, I'm not. I mean over the course of the rest of the game.

Alright, I'll look elsewhere.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Rarity posted:

Yes. Note how the three of us have been very open about wanting fuel.

To be clear, fuel is required to distribute the bombs, but the bombs themselves do not require fuel. Once someone has them, they have them.

Between that requirement, the unreliability of the bombs themselves, and our belief that there are three types of Scum and three types of Bombs, only one of which works on each Scum group... the mechanic makes sense and does not seem unbalanced at all. Especially since making sure you get fuel either requires going to get it yourself or publicly stating you need it, which then means telling the Scum you're a power role. Sure, you have the bombs yourself, but assuming we're right, that's still only a 1/3 chance of being effective against the scum who comes for you, and even then you have to roll the dice.

Basically, I got enormously lucky in that Mags was the Scum chosen to kill me and I rolled my 25% chance to kill and survive.

It's probably the only reason we're still in this game.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

DGK, I just want to be clear on your timeline:

1. You foraged fuel at the start of D2.
2. You submitted an action N2, using your fuel.
3. During N2, your fuel was stolen.
4. During N2, you were given fuel.
5. Your investigation on merk went through as a result of the fuel appearing and then disappearing.
6. ...which is what you meant when you said "I had no fuel before last night, and also someone stole my fuel and gave me fuel."

Correct?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Quidnose posted:

5. Your investigation on merk went through as a result of the fuel appearing and then disappearing.

Mafia edit: disappearing then appearing. My bad.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

If there were in fact only 3 scum, we're not just up, we're very up. Wanna lynch more lurkers?

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Quidnose posted:

Mafia edit: disappearing then appearing. My bad.

Yeah. Like, I got a PM that stated as much. I can't c/p it or it would have been clear to begin with.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

CapnAndy posted:

If there were in fact only 3 scum, we're not just up, we're very up. Wanna lynch more lurkers?

You a little hungry to just lynch people?

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Why not just CapnAndy people?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

##unvote

Tearshed, generate some content re: who you think is scum, thank you.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

DGK2000 posted:

Why not just CapnAndy people?
The CapnAndy Gambit states -- and I know, because I was there when I invented it -- that if the town is losing, you should lynch the good players. Everyone always forgets the qualifier :(

The logic is that the best players are the ones in control of the game, so if things are going badly for the town, it's probably because they want it to. (You may notice that this is exactly the case I made on Tokes.)

At the moment, we're winning, so it doesn't apply. Plus, by the converse logic, what's happening now is not what scum would want, so we should look for the people who aren't having any effect in controlling the town. Also, this is a lurky game in general, and if there's seriously only 1 scum left (that seems low for 17 people, but we did get a 3P, so who knows), they might be doubly disengaged because now there's nobody left to talk to.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

The CapnAndy Gambit states -- and I know, because I was there when I invented it -- that if the town is losing, you should lynch the good players. Everyone always forgets the qualifier :(

The logic is that the best players are the ones in control of the game, so if things are going badly for the town, it's probably because they want it to. (You may notice that this is exactly the case I made on Tokes.)

At the moment, we're winning, so it doesn't apply. Plus, by the converse logic, what's happening now is not what scum would want, so we should look for the people who aren't having any effect in controlling the town. Also, this is a lurky game in general, and if there's seriously only 1 scum left (that seems low for 17 people, but we did get a 3P, so who knows), they might be doubly disengaged because now there's nobody left to talk to.

I just really wanted to say it in a game with you. My Mafia Career is now complete.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Rarity posted:

In other news, the discussion between Byers and Magnus makes me feel good about Magnus not being scum (though I haven't ruled out him being a SK, we'll see how tonight goes on that), this reads like Meinberg's town game to me and merk is a blue furry guy irl.

Rarity posted:

I'm not doubting the veracity of the claim, I'm doubting that it's a town role. It screams 3P to me. Also, I don't like how Magnus said that we'd be able to have the fuel transferred before he uses his vig.

I was starting a case here, but I think if there is one scum left it's either Meinburg or Rarity.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

How do you think that jives with Rarity's "also a gunsmith" claim? It's an odd claim to pull out for no reason when Rarity didn't have a ton of suspicion beyond here and there.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Quidnose posted:

How do you think that jives with Rarity's "also a gunsmith" claim? It's an odd claim to pull out for no reason when Rarity didn't have a ton of suspicion beyond here and there.

It doesn't, because I don't think her claim is real. Read this:

Rarity posted:

Is there anyway to read this that isn't implying PGO? Because considering that appears to essentially be part of the gunsmith role xopods was talking about there's no way we have a regular PGO as well.

I'm in a similar situation. Plus my strongest read in this game is Andy and it hasn't changed in 3 days so I don't have much else to add that I haven't said already. This heat on Tokes seems like a standard lurker lynch and I'm not a fan. Would be happy to switch to Juanito or Hal.

Emphasis mine. She made zero attempt to claim prior, even a hint. We have 2 gunsmiths, one for air and one for land/not air. Where would the third fit in? It wouldn't. We have far too many power role claims and flips. I think she's full of poo poo.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

DGK2000 posted:

It doesn't, because I don't think her claim is real. Read this:

Emphasis mine. She made zero attempt to claim prior, even a hint. We have 2 gunsmiths, one for air and one for land/not air. Where would the third fit in? It wouldn't. We have far too many power role claims and flips. I think she's full of poo poo.

Yeah, I sort of agree with this assessment.

Are there town units that are air units, or is land/air seemingly just a scum designation?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

So she claimed because she figured she was going to be a target, and wanted to also jump on...helping xopods? Why would she do that instead of just try to get rid of xopods? She didn't need to clear him, all she would have needed to do was say "I think it's crap."

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Rarity posted:

Godammit xopods that was unnecessary.

Rarity posted:

Can you say anything more specific than that? Sure, xopods shouldn't have claimed but I think it's too detailed to be fake.

Rarity has seen far more detailed fake claims. She showed fake concern when Xopods gave enough details of his claim. She could easily just pop up and be like HEY SO AM I, so nobody questions why she isn't NK'd. They must be scared of her bombs. All she has to do is corroborate his claim, and Xopods will likely see her as town. From there, she just has to go with status quo to win. It gets even better for her if she NK's Xopods, but she isn't going to risk that so she wants him alive. She needs him alive. Or her story doesn't work.

##vote Rarity

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DGK2000 posted:

Rarity has seen far more detailed fake claims.

That quote was me breadcrumbing my claim :ughh: I wasn't just going to do a little dance going 'Hey scum I'm important too' on D1 because why would I do that? Also:

Rarity posted:

My role PM mentions the existence of HK-Aerial Drones. I originally figured that was the scum before going 'no duh, that's the Terminators'.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Rarity's not Scum, guys. You're being way too :tinfoil:. This has been a low-effort game on all sides. Even in a high-quality game it's extremely unlikely that Rarity would have had the foresight and role-related knowledge to set all this up as a gambit.

The Scum are not doing anything crazy, I guarantee it. At most they're doing some bussing (e.g. CapnAndy vs. Token could have been a bus), but aside from that they're probably just lurking (tearshed) and/or making cases on Townies and hoping we do all the work for them with this kind of crazy bullshit.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 5

xopods (1): Somberbrero, CapnAndy, CapnAndy
Rarity (1): DGK2000
DGK2000 (1): Rarity, Quidnose, Quidnose

Not Voting (5): CapnAndy, Hal Incandenza, Quidnose, tearshed, xopods

With 8 alive, it's 5 votes to lynch. The current deadline is October 10th, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 5 hours, 7 minutes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
##vote CapnAndy

Would also lynch DGK or tearshed. Not sure how much longer I'll be around though.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

##vote Tearshed

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Quidnose posted:

##vote Tearshed

##vote Tearshed

I'm off to FNM.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, this is correct for today.

##vote tearshed

Sorry for minimal participation lately. I've been suffering with upper back problems the last two weeks and the last few days I've tried spending (much) less time at the computer to see if that would help my recovery, since my posture sucks.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I guess I can support a ##vote tearshed

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Did everyone go to bed?

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!
I'll hammer myself if nobody else is around at deadline.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
sorry ##vote tearshed

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:redhammer: Noooooooooo, goodbye tearshed!

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
The fifth day came and the Resistance was surprised to find that a human had been trying to capitalise on the confusion. Even when humanity is on the brink, someone always tries to screw over their neighbour for a loving percentage...

With the human threat eliminated, the Resistance turned its attention back the real threat: Skynet.

The humans, suspicious of one another, began the infighting in earnest. Suddenly everyone was a threat. People who were once thought to be almost certainly human were now under scrutiny.

As the day approached dusk, a target ha to be chosen. Under pressure, one name was blurted out and soon everyone followed.

The co-ordinates were entered and the missiles launched...

Tearshed AKA Skynet-Aligned Terminator Observer Drone] was destroyed by Airstrike.

All imminent threats to Resistance have been eliminated. The Resistance wins this day.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Does that mean we win???

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
Thanks to everyone who played.

I apologise that the game wasn't better. For my part, I couldn't provide timely updates and really needed a co-mod. Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone interested to help. C'est la vie.

I will post the set up tomorrow. I don't have access to my PC right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

kilran posted:

Thanks to everyone who played.

I apologise that the game wasn't better. For my part, I couldn't provide timely updates and really needed a co-mod. Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone interested to help. C'est la vie.

I will post the set up tomorrow. I don't have access to my PC right now.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with this game...

Thanks kilran!

• Locked thread