Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

You misunderstand. I don't think xopods is scummy for that reason.

What I'm saying is that xopods' point is exactly the kind of thing I would say to fuel a fire on a townie getting steam built up on him -- I don't think he's twisting things by ignoring later posts, I'm just saying this point doesn't pass a smell test for me, but I wouldn't hesitate to make it if I was looking for something jump on a townie for.

The phrase you used was twisting theories to suit facts. And only scum would be looking for something to jump on a townie for, so how are you not calling him scummy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Byers2142 posted:

Ok, throw out his defenses of Meinberg. Why is he scum?
Because he seems incapable of giving a straight answer to anything, but constantly hedges and throws in pre-built defenses for himself. Look at his last post: (my comments added in italics)

"The argument that QPQ's "non answer" of "it's as serious as it could be at that point" was maliciously crafted so that either interpretation could be hammered on as "the obvious one" later on is plausible (so he agrees) but it just doesn't ring true to me (oh wait, no he doesn't). I still think QPQ is scummy (so it's a plausible case he doesn't agree with on a guy he still thinks is scum?) for having any amount of serious in that vote and that's enough of a case for me.

What I'm saying is that xopods' point is exactly the kind of thing I would say to fuel a fire on a townie getting steam built up on him (xopods is acting maliciously?) -- I don't think he's twisting things by ignoring later posts (or he's not?) , I'm just saying this point doesn't pass a smell test for me (wait, now he is again) , but I wouldn't hesitate to make it if I was looking for something jump on a townie for. (but I'd do it too, but I'm not this time, look how townie I am guys, wink wink)"

All of his posts have this weird, twisty, yes-then no-then yes-then yes but for another reason-or maybe no structure to them. I've never played with him before, maybe this is how he is every time, but all of his posts seem designed that so can go back and hide behind them no matter what happens.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

This new font can lick my balls.

kilran, that insult was directed at the font, which is not by definition a person. If it were a person, I would say it's a self-actualized agent that has not made the same life choices I would have but I can respect the differences between us, but as a font it needs to die in a fire.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Byers2142 posted:

Someone volunteering to be a martyr is, because they're suggesting they'll make the ultimate sacrifice for town.

How is that scummy?

ninja: Make a case on Meinberg.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Byers2142 posted:

The phrase you used was twisting theories to suit facts. And only scum would be looking for something to jump on a townie for, so how are you not calling him scummy?

I think he's scummy for making that point at all. the emphasis was on I don't think he's scummy for overlooking later posts.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I concede some of the semantics, but baseless vaguely personal standard mafia aggression is certainly a tool in merk's toolbox, even if it doesn't manifest itself in the way some other players get "mean" -- cultivating something else to draw from so you can be obtuse at will seems like it serves a scum agenda more than a town one.

merk is more than capable of implying your inferiority and idiocy without resorting to direct attacks and if he wanted to bring it out in this game then he easily could. He works hard to present himself in an "I'm better than you" manner that's designed to intimidate. My read on merk right now is that he wants us to think he doesn't really give a poo poo so that when he does start to play we see him as coming along to save us and thus we end up following him to lynch the people he wants lynched.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Rarity posted:

merk is more than capable of implying your inferiority and idiocy without resorting to direct attacks and if he wanted to bring it out in this game then he easily could. He works hard to present himself in an "I'm better than you" manner that's designed to intimidate. My read on merk right now is that he wants us to think he doesn't really give a poo poo so that when he does start to play we see him as coming along to save us and thus we end up following him to lynch the people he wants lynched.

How hard were you trying to say nothing at all about his alignment?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

merk posted:

How is that scummy?

ninja: Make a case on Meinberg.

His early posting was nothing but white noise or a little me tooing of my comments around Magnus's role. Magnus called him out as forced, I said that it was more vacuous, and literally minutes later he starts posting more content. Said content is almost exclusively about how bad his is at the game and how he'll have more when he has time to get into the game.

Like I said before, town might lurk, but they don't hover over the thread to resond when their name gets called. They also don't fall so hard into a "I don't deserve to live" fugue after being called out for it, or suggest that it's better they die then someone else. The offered sacrifice is reverse psychology, similar to showing a willingness to walk away from the negotiating table.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I think he's scummy for making that point at all. the emphasis was on I don't think he's scummy for overlooking later posts.

Ok, in that case I withdraw the question. I thought you were with Magnus and QPQ, saying that he was scum twisting things by ignoring what was said later.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

How hard were you trying to say nothing at all about his alignment?

It's a null read, merk pushes lynches whether he's town or scum. I'm going to need more content from him before I can say either way.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Magnus Gallant posted:

That's the thing about this game though. Posts don't occur in a vacuum. When you pointed out your scummy post there were other posts to be examined/considered. I think those posts negate the scumminess of the post you highlighted. You ignore those posts in your original vote post. almost like you're looking for a scummy post to latch on to rather than trying to find evidence of a scum player.

I'm not sure what post of his you think "negates" his previously scummy post, but I definitely read everything he had posted up to the point that I voted him.

See, what actually happened was I saw KFC's posts and thought he seemed a bit scummy on a gut level. But of course, to be sure of that I had to check whether his case actually had any merit, regardless of what I thought of the style of his own posts.

So I went and read QPQ and saw that, yes, I agreed with what KFC was saying, and that QPQ's response to him was at least as bad IMO as the post that QPQ had originally gone after him for.

He posted some other things after that, yes, but I really don't see how anything else he said negates his initial hedging. He explained himself better later, sure... that has little bearing on the fact that his initial reaction to being pressed to decide how hard to commit was to hedge and evade the question.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

xopods posted:

So I went and read QPQ and saw that, yes, I agreed with what KFC was saying, and that QPQ's response to him was at least as bad IMO as the post that KFC had originally gone after him for.

Mafia edit

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Leaning town on Rarity feel pretty good about consistency of thought + based on the fuel rules confusion.

When's deadline?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
merk, what do you think of my read on Andy? Byers, you too.

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

When's deadline?

Tomorrow, I think 5pm EST?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Rarity posted:

I can see it. I'm still not sure I like his KFC case, either. Especially with him linking KFC and Meinberg as a way to try and build votes.

Deadline's in almost exactly 48 hours.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Give me a name to case

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote meinberg

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Rarity posted:

Tomorrow, I think 5pm EST?

I don't know.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

bowmore posted:

Give me a name to case

merk

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
merk why are you sticking with the Beast schtick?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

bowmore posted:

merk why are you sticking with the Beast schtick?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I will be able to do this today

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I've done all the work I intend to do this game day. I am voting Meinberg through deadline.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

merk posted:

I've done all the work I intend to do this game day. I am voting Meinberg through deadline.
Why though?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

merk posted:

Welp. That doesn't seem like the best option. But I'm not sure if I can change your mind.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

merk posted:

I don't know why but this post is incredibly annoying

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

bowmore posted:

I don't think I will be able to do this today

That's where I am, too. Was hoping you could get more leverage on it. It's not too scummy to be scummy, it's... look, we're playing checkers, some of the players are playing chess, and merk is pissing in the snow and winning.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Magnus Gallant posted:

I don't know why but this post is incredibly annoying

We all know wy, we just can't verbalize it.

merk, is this your attempt to get past the fact that you're getting lynched recently just because you're, well, merk? Do nothing, avoid night kills, and have an explanation why D3/D4?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It would be funny if scum NK'd him tonight

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

merk posted:

##vote Merk typical Merk scumplay.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Byers2142 posted:

We all know wy, we just can't verbalize it.

merk, is this your attempt to get past the fact that you're getting lynched recently just because you're, well, merk? Do nothing, avoid night kills, and have an explanation why D3/D4?

He should stop being scum in all his games.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Grr my vote didn't take

##vote CapnAndy

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DGK2000 posted:

it is making me suspicious he decided to just re-hash the beast thing from X-men instead of coming up with something creative

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rarity posted:

Grr my vote didn't take

##vote CapnAndy
Why?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

It's cause the vote I made on him earlier didn't go through.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rarity posted:

It's cause the vote I made on him earlier didn't go through.
yeah but why are you voting him?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

bowmore posted:

yeah but why are you voting him?

I would kindly recommend with the utmost respect that you read the thread in future to prevent needing to ask unnecessary questions. Think of the time you will save!

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

DGK2000 posted:

As much as I'd like to agree, I'm not sure it is. He basically latched onto Meinberg right away, whereas I'm used to seeing him poke people until he finds someone he can get a rise out of and then latch on (usually to me). It's possible he just doesn't want to do that here because we're supposedly being nice, and is therefore sitting back until someone commits an unforced error, but so far it just seems to me like he finds the game uninspiring.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Rarity

Next time just say, because of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Magnus Gallant posted:

Rarity

Next time just say, because of this

That is the exact post I linked to, yes.

• Locked thread