Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Hoplon

Hoplon just kind of looks at Elgan, as if to suggest 'what the gently caress did you just say?' Lyceum? Grandeur? Curriculum? What the hell do those words mean? Is he casting a spell? Is Hoplon going to have to throw him overboard? Fuckin' mages, man, I'm tellin' ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.
Aabraz

"Sooner we get to the Emerald City, the better." Aabraz mutter aloud. The past few weeks on the ship, especially the past few days where they were becalmed, had been a bit testing. They always were. Cramped quarters, no society, and so on. It was enough to test anyone's patience.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Kay

Kay pats the wizard on the back sympathetically as the captain gives another one of his patented "I have no idea what Elgan is talking about" looks. "One day we'll add someone to the crew with enough book learning to hold a conversation with you, wizard. One day."

At Aabraz's words, the pilot jumps up onto the rail and scans the horizon to see if the Sub-Men have departed. "Well, we're never going to get out of the wastelands if we don't get in there and see what they've left behind, are we? I'm ready if you lot are."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Hoplon

Hoplon seems to be mostly oblivious to the look that Kay gives to Elgan. He honestly felt bad for the Mage sometimes. Like... he knew that there were better places for someone of their intellect and he knew that he was occasionally too mean to the mage but... still. He didn't understand magic and the way Elgan talked honestly sounded like he was intentionally trying to talk circles around Hoplon to keep him out of the loop on things. How was he supposed to know that it wasn't just magic that he couldn't hope to understand, but also the language and knowledge surrounding it. Speaking of surrounding, he checked on the location of some of the sub-men before prepping to make his way off the boat.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Kay

The cap's gone quiet and he's got that faraway look on his face, a telltale sign that he's having whatever passes for deep thoughts with Thralls. Kay suppresses her smile. For all their quirks, this crew had something endearing about it. All of them were precious, in their way.

But enough sentiment and standing around. She hops down off the rail and kicks the nearby rope ladder down, unfurling it for the descent. "We should invest in a guardian spirit or a trained Strider or something to defend the ship when we're all off searchin' through piles o' Sub - Men poo poo. One o' these days we'll get us selves robbed."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Securing the vessel for the short term and reefing in the sails as much as is wise, the ground team climbs down. It is hardpan covered with a thin layer of shifting red sand, so clambering along the rocky escarpment that hides the vessel is not a big deal. Getting a little closer, the Za already seem to be moving out with some alacrity. The main camp is on the march, with darkmane mounted outriders coordinating. A smaller party, near to where the fire was, is butchering the demon. It is clear they will be taking the skull and bones as a trophy if they can. They do not seem to have noticed the ship or her crew, so obsessed are they with the task to hand.

Meanwhile, on the ship the redoubtable carpenter sees there are a few repairs that will require docking, but for the most part time and the application of a certain amount of effort should suffice well enough.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Hoplon

Well, there's a bloke on horseback. There's another bloke down there in the middle of them all that's shouting something. Someone with the biggest cleaver in the middle of the demon butcher party. Where's the most mystical, magical, woo-woo lookin'-est guy here. Where's the guy in charge...

Ah.

There they are.

Rollin' tactics at +3 to identify the bossman. Got a 21.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Kay

Harsh experience has taught Kay that the safest place in any dangerous situation is close enough to the captain to make sure any enemies nearby are focused on him, but also safely out of the Thrall's reach... just in case. She trails about ten feet behind the captain, shielding her eyes and watching the Za depart.

When they spy the butchering party, Kay has her bow readied in a heartbeat. She whispers: "Want me to soften 'em up a bit, cap?"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Hoplon

The Thrall sniffed and shook his head. "I want you to get ready to knock but I don't want you loosing anything just yet," he said. "I don't think those blighters are onto much other than the axe with the big bird. It's not them that we need to worry about," he said quietly before nodding over to one side. "See that bloke there? With the blue feathers in his hair?" he asked. "Aye, it's the guy. I have a feeling he's the one that might be solid for it."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

There are perhaps a dozen za in the butchering party, the blue feathered one is the largest of the lot. He seems to almost have an inner glow to him as he pulls the beating heart out of the beast and begins to chew it. A gutteral growl of pride and admiration comes from his companions, who bang their shields and cheer and so on. Hoplon can tell these are veteran warriors, each a scarred testimony to the combat prowess of the Za and the lands that made them into the brutal badasses they are. He has never seen a Za as big or as fucky looking as that one however.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Hoplon

Hoplon sucked on his teeth for a moment. Well then. The thought of a transfer of magical power from one creature to the other by eating its heart doesn't enter into his Thrall-y brain because that's not how magic works, right? Like, even he knows that it's all about stupid words and pointing your hands in funny ways apart from when it's about circles and getting your leg over a virgin or whatever. "Alright," said Hoplon. "I'm man enough to admit that I probably should have let you shoot that slit in the head," he said quietly. "My mistake."

He really wasn't sure what was making the big blue feathered bastard look the way he did. "Has that one been dipping his balls in magic juice, you reckon?"

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Elgan

Elgan was not wholly insensitive to the captain's plight. Not understanding something can be a very frustrating condition, it's part of why Elgan seeks to understand as much as he can. However, his attitude often makes it an enjoyable exercise to talk circles around him. This time, he tries to put his thoughts as simply as possible. "The big one may have been augmented, that is, made real huge-like, by some sort of alchemy or esoteric, that is, unusual, magic. Most magic is impermanent by nature, that is, it doesn't last forever, so it's not likely magic was involved, unless it was far stranger, and stronger, magic than any I know." He pauses, realizing he should probably explain how alchemy and magic differ. "The difference between magic and alchemy is that magic uses, oh, let's just say it's magical energy, and we draw it out of the air, that's close enough. Alchemy uses stuff like leaves and mushrooms to make potions. Ah! It's like how alcohol is brewed, but more complex and using stranger stuff. However, I'm not aware of any mixtures with such drastic effects. He may have just been born big, or it may have something to do with the almost ritualistic way he's eating that creature's heart. He may be doing it to take on some of the beast's qualities. Put simply, it may be that the big guy eats hearts to steal the strength of his victims."

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Kay

Kay nocks an arrow. "Never too late, cap."

Elgan's explanation, complete with simplified translation, forces her to fight back laughter; giggling is a well known enemy of proper aim. "Eat heart bad, gotcha. I'm just goin'ta just shoot the fuckin' thing before he finishes stuffin' his face, then, 'less I hear a better plan."

need its CR if I'm going to roll my own shot

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Hoplon

Well. That was an nearly insurmountable wall of words there from the mage. "So is that a yes to the magic juice bollock dipping?" he asked, an eyebrow raised. He knew there was blue stuff that was magic, like... he'd seen that with his own eyes and that stuff had to be important to how magic worked. The explanation of what exactly might be happening right now in front of him seems to stick but Hoplon doesn't have a clue how or why. He hears the explanation about alchemy and almost laughs. "Sounds like Umbra Juice brew," he teased. "Knew a shaman that drank some of that and swears up and down he was communing with his ancestors when he was actually cock-root deep in a hound. Fuckin' junkie."

He sniffed once. "Alright, Kay, stick a sawhead through his peeper. I'll get down there, beat the poo poo out of him and then see how he likes it when someone's chowin' down on his ticker."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Noshing on the heart, the big Za looks pretty tough. He and his dozen friends all appear to be scarred veterans, stone killers all. As Kay aims, she realizes that dude looks like he has a lot of hit points.

CR does not apply since you are ambushing, so only -2 for range. His CR is +17 if it helps tho. He is tuff.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Kay

Kay lowers her bow, shaking her head slightly as she whispers to the others. "Just look at that big slab o' flesh. An arrow might take 'im by surprise, sure, but in the end I think it'd naught more than scratch 'im, cap."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

<sion> WinsonPaine yo can i do a tactics roll on this
<&WinsonPaine> sure
<sion> .roll 1d20+3
<skybot> sion: 4 (1d20+3=1)
<sion> hahaha
<sion> YUP LOOKS GOOD

Hoplon

"Dja think I fuckin' have a stammer? Shoot the oval office in the eye."

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

:smithicide:

Kay

Kay grins, despite herself. The cap was mad, no doubt, but if the Thrall thought this was doable then she had nothing but faith. "Aye, cap!" she whispers, and raises her bow again; after a single deep breath to steady herself, she lets an arrow fly. It sings through the air, burying itself deep in the monstrosity's eye, and it's all Kay can do not to grab Sev and start dancing. "Did you see that? Did you fuckin' see that?"

Ranged Stunt (Aimed Shot). Full Success. Set my degree of diff at 8, dunno if that's too low. Rolled a 16 tho so probably a success either way.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Sev

"Yyyyep," replies Sev after his jaw finishes dropping. "Think he did too for a half second there. So, big, magicked, and now angry. Guess Death needs the advantage." Dancing may not be entirely off the table, as Sev sways a little from his half-crouch behind a bush and slips his sword half out of the sheath.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

If anyone else wants to get in an attack while the surprise is still a surprise, now is the time. Otherwise I update!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Elgan

Sighing quietly, Elgan casts his empowerment spell again, keeping an eye out for prime escape routes, just in case.

(11, Full Success for +2 to the Attack Mode.)

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I shoot it again

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

The Dracartan unloads with a shot as magical energies leap ahead of her arrow. The Za warlord turns as the arcane bolt soaks into him, screaming before one of his eyes is turned into a red well of blood. Her second shot, on the heels of the first, strikes home as well. The feathers bury themselves to the socket, and he falls over stone dead.

The other Za stop chanting the word they were chanting, the last strains of "TISHANTA TISHANTA" or somesuch dyin on the breeze.

They go quite quiet, wondering what in the gently caress.

I assumed that SV meant she was making two attacks, the first was a crit since her penalty that was self assessed was way high. The second:

<+skybot> PumpkinPaine: 20 (1d20=20)

Welp.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Kay

Kay kisses her bow before raising a celebratory fist in the air. "I'm getting pretty good at this. Maybe I should be the captain." She grins at Hoplon, taking the time to utter a silent prayer that the Thrall understands jokes today and does not behead her for mutiny. "Charge, cap? I'm thinking charge."

hahahaha I'm so good at this game

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Aabraz

"I got to say Kay, I really didn't think that was going to work." Aabraz shakes his head in wonderment. It was a fine piece of archery. "Thought he was gonna turn around and chop us up, really."

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Elgan

Elgan sniffs as the Za falls. "Guess he was just born larger than most. Had he been magically empowered, he'd have been tougher, I'd think." Figuring his magic would be of little use for the battle proper, he decides to soften up the enemies before the others make it to them. With a wave of his hands, he sends a small orb of arcane energy into the center of the savages, which then explodes with great force, greater even than Elgan himself had expected. "Well, then. Looks like we're all having a good day." He then takes position crouching behind the nearest dune, preferring his more physically fit companions face the wrath of the injured Za.

(Critical Success on an Arcane Blast set to 5 damage, at the default radius of 5', centered between the Za such that as many of them as possible are caught in it. As it's a crit, I guess that means the damage jumps to 10.)

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Hoplon

Hoplon grinned and was never in any doubt. He knew his crew was better than he deserved which is why he was so sure that they'd be able to handle anything that was thrown at them. "Auch, Captain, I dennae think my wee arrows will be able to hurt that big, old goat fucker because I'm just a wee lassie and I'm scared of all the big boys," said Hoplon tauntingly. He looked over at Elgan and seemed to screw his face up (Hoplons, not Elgan's although the Thrall totally could do the latter) for a moment. "You... You're alright, you know that? Fer a mage."

He stood up from behind the ridge line they'd positioned themselves on and called down. "Alright. Off ya gently caress," he said, moving his hands away from himself in the same way one might try and waft soup into a coolness.

There was a pause from the Za; maybe they didn't understand. Maybe they were all a bit befuddled by it all. Maybe they were just so shaken up by the fact their leader had just been two shot by arrows to the eyes. Or maybe they were just boiling their brains to a point of anger that only Hoplon was likely to be able to relate to. Either way, the big Thrall shrugged and looked over his shoulder at his crew. "Ah well," he sighed, slapping his fists together. "Can't be helped."

He charged.

Commanding voice check:
<sion> .roll 1d20+2
<skybot> sion: 11 (1d20+2=9)

Not a spectacular fail but I have a feelin' they're not going anywhere.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Kay

Kay laughs, despite herself. "Oi, fine, you can stay the captain then, if'n you're going to be like that about it." As Hoplon charges, Kay slings her bow over her shoulder, draws her scimitar, and charges alongside.

Closing to melee.

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 5, 2014

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

The Za are startled to see the troops roll over the ridge, and more startled to see their leader dead and sprouting feathers from his eyes. The blast sweeps over them, more arcane fire crackling in the darkness. They are totally caught out here.

pre:
Za Raider (CR +10, HP 20, PR 3)
You guys have INIT, go nuts.

Your numbers are weird, ET. You have, afaik Attack mode at +11 (MR +3, Rating +5, Bonus +3).

pre:
Attack in brief:
Damage: 1 Hit Point per Spell Level
Range: 50 feet (+1 to Difficulty per additional 10 feet)
Duration: Instant or 1 minute (+1 to Difficulty per additional minute)
Area:+1 to Difficulty per foot of radius
So a radius 5 damage 5 spell = (-10) to the difficulty. The wording on the spell in the book is vague and bad, you want to read how the actual mode works I think. Beyond that:

pre:
Casting spells from memory is mentally exhausting. A spellcaster may cast a number of spells per day 
equal to their WIL (minimum of one) without incurring a spell penalty. Each time a spell is cast beyond 
this limit, the magician incurs a cumulative penalty of -1 on further spell casting die rolls for that day, 
with one exception: spells that result in a Critical Success do not contribute to this penalty. 
So you are currently rocking another -3 on top of that from what I can see. Unless I am missing something you may want to look over the magic rules again. (p. 64ish in the Players book). It is still a full success, so hooray.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Kay

Kay's blood pounds in her ears as they close to melee with the Za. For a moment, the Dracartan can't remember why she didn't just stay safely at range and keep peppering the Za with arrows. Solidarity, I guess?

Oh well. Too late now.

Kay scans the battlefield quickly to identify the biggest, burliest fucker remaining. After spotting him, she does a quick assessment. Alright, the cap's probably going to charge straight for that one, as is his way... that'll mean he has to turn his back to this ugly little poo poo. Right then.

Her red iron scimitar flashes in a quick, graceful arc, and her intended victim staggers backwards, eyes widening as the blade bites deep into his shoulder.

Close Attack. +7 long blades, -10 target CR for -3 mod total. Goddamn I am good at this game. 5 damage after PR.

Edit: it should have been +6 so -4 total, but that wouldn't have changed anything. Good at dice rolling; bad at counting.

pre:
Kay (HP: 22; PR: 5; Bow Attack: +8; Scimitar Attack +6; Evasion +2)

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 6, 2014

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Post you fuckers

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Hoplon

The big Thrall is leading the charge, his feet pounding on the sand which lets him move over the rough terrain with a speed that, if the age of steam ever truly came upon the land of Talislanta, might remind the Za of a goddamn locomotive, bearing down on them, all iron and fury and asskickings. He leapt into the air and jabbed his right hand forwards before swinging his left out for a huge, broad hook right into the skull of some poor sap. The hit connects right on the bridge of the Za's nose with a sickening crack straight up shattering the front of his face.

Hoplon keeps rolling, letting his fist twist and push, sending the Za sprawling. He ducks under an errant sword swipe and finds a second target, ramming his fist square into the Za's throat stunning him for a solid 3 rounds.

Sorry, been busy should have posted this morning.

First attack:
<sion> .roll 1d20-10+6+6
<skybot> sion: 22 (1d20-10+6+6=20)

Land a shot for 4 damage on a dude and getting a critical success? Could a lovely GM roll Con vs Str to see if this bugger is stunned for 3 rounds?

Seconds attack:
<sion> .roll 1d20-10+6+6-5
<skybot> sion: 16 (1d20-10+6+6-5=19)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Elgan

(Ah, right, I missed the fatigue rules, and I had been going with the Arcane Blast description from the spell list, which I guess has some typos. I'll keep my numbers straight in the future.)

Feeling a bit winded after all his spellcasting this day, Elgan decides to err on the side of caution for the moment, and stays ducked behind cover, preferring to conserve his mental strength for when it's needed, rather than slinging spells around carelessly. He'd given the lot of them a faceful of his power, last thing he needs is to embarrass himself by having a simple arcane bolt fizzle due to overexertion.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Kay

"Nice one, Cap!" The Dracartan yells over the fracas. She glances at the wizard resting behind a rock and grins a little -- Elgan's humors always ran a little cool, and she's not surprised he's not in the mix. Best he saves up for a big cloud of fire or summat, anyhow.

She ducks an awkward punch and calls out to the other two crewmen. "Sev, 'Braz, don't be shy!"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Hoplon

"Sev, 'Braz!" called Hoplon, turning around and smashing some poor unfortunate in the jaw. "Hands off cocks, an' onto stocks you poo poo stabbers!"

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hoplon and the redoubtable Dracartan wade forward. The thrall is a murder machine, throwing two garde strikes and dropping one Za with each. Kay's blade lays into the belly of the one before her. It is too much for the Za. Their leader is dead, there is a murder machine of a thrall in their midst, and reenforcements seemingly on the way.

They break, turning to flee into the night. They follow the baggage trains out, leaving the quintet of explorers standing over three Za bodies, a demon skull, and the disintegrating remains of a small wind demon.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Hoplon

'They Don't Think It Be Like It Is But It Do,' thinks Hoplon. The Thrall wasn't really thinking straight - getting two solid, bloody kills with his bare hands was enough to leave him buzzing and hungry for more. He stood there, hunched up with his jacket bursting at the seams. He was pumped up and freaky looking even by his fairly low standards, panting and growling trying to get the old urges back under control. They were running, broken and fleeing. He could go after them... go after them and just get tore in. Kill and then keep killing and not stop until he said so. That'd feel so good...

He looked over at the leader's corpse and then over at Elgan. "Search him. Find out why he was all fucky," said the Captain, still breathing deep. He grunted and kicked one of the corpses that he'd made moments ago really hard, breaking a couple of ribs. Another kick with another grunt. Another kick with a quieter grunt and he was back to his old self.

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Aabraz

"Probably because they were Za, and they dabble in evil magic so that they can waylay and eat travelers like us." Aabraz kicks at one of the dead bodies, showing little enthusiasm for the task. They were Za, so they wouldn't have anything worth selling, that much he knew. If you could make money by killing Za, the Dractarians would have wiped them out a hundred years ago. "Time's money Captain, and we're wasting time here. Let's move on to the Emerald City, before something worse than Za gets attracted by the scent of a free meal."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Hoplon

Hoplon sniffed the air. "Oh, now he pipes up," said Hoplon looking over at Aabraz. "I want that big fucker looked over for anything important, and then we'll be on our merry. We been held up here for a day, an extra minute to satisfy my curiosity ain't gonna add much of anything to whatever rod is being prepped for my back by contractors in town and ain't a way they're turning around here. They're far out of their territory, they're swinging magic around like it's a Thrall's cock at a gathering of Aamanian lads and the extra minute this is gonna cost us will make me happy. You like me fair and true, aye Braz? You want to keep me happy, aye?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Kay

The Dracartan wipes her scimitar clean as she stands over the wreckage of the Sub-Men. She bends down and grabs the demon skull, staring at it thoughtfully. "Oi, this might make an ornament for the prow, eh? Stick it up there, give any other little bird-demon-shits second thoughts o' fuckin' with us."

She glances over at the Thrall, squinting at him. "Keep you happy, cap? Not sure I've seen you smile but once in all the time I've known you."

• Locked thread