Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Kay

Kay eyes the Xambrian up and down. The glint of steely madness shines in the other woman's eyes.

Kay likes that about her.

She pats the captain on the shoulder, not unkindly. "Don't mind the cap here, we're as able a lot as you're like to find in the skies these days. Fast ship too, our girl is."

She snatches up the coinpurse off the table in a quick motion, weighing it lightly in the palm of her hand and appearing satisfied by the result. "We don't mind danger all that much, but can't say as we're none too fond of mysteries. Where's this dangerous place you'd like us to take you?" She smiles. "Oh, and what should we call you? I'm Kay, this is Elgan, Braz, and the cap."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
"I am called Valdosti; a gift from my adoptive family. It is pleasing to meet ones so selfless. Know this, we may all be killed. There is little kindness in the shadow of the Watchstone on the Plains of Golarin, and that is where we must go. It is there one of the foul ones is to be reborn, and there I must end his miserable unlife once more." The hollow madness in the eyes blazes here, something within showing a burning hate stretching back hundreds of generations.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Elgan

Elgan shrugged, "When aren't we on the verge of being killed? At the very least, this will probably be more interesting than the thousand other ways we court death during an average transport run. Besides, we encountered something ominous on our way into port, and this doesn't sound the least bit related. It would be satisfying to defy fate by dying on a completely different suicidal quest to save the world than the one we're likely destined for. Unless, of course, this creature you need to kill is related to the Za, at which point I can take solace in having once again been right about something."

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Kay

"You sure do know how to sell yourself, Val." She tests the weight of the coin again, as if to guarantee that it's really as heavy as she thought it was, and then shrugs. "I'll be honest, I'm not a hundred percent sure what you're talking about, but the wizard here has the right of it. We found a way to almost get killed delivering lamp oil to the desert, I feel like helping you out won't be any worse than what we'd get into by ourselves." She smiles. "It's the cap's call of course, but I'm pretty sure he tuned out a couple o' seconds into the conversation."

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.
Aabraz

"Since no one else seems to care to ask, what, friend, is a Foul One? We've battled demons before this, but I'd still like to know what we're getting ourselves into. Fond of having my soul, is all."

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Kay

"See, this is why I love it when you chime in, 'Braz. I know you're the strong silent type and all, but you have good contributions."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

The Xambrian twitches. "They do not know. We should tell them. Yes, they must be warned. Agreed. It is decided." Each of these is spoken in a different voice to herself, and as Kay watches her eyes actually change color with some of them.

"My folk are descended from the ancient Xambrians, a peaceful people who were all but exterminated by a cult of black wizards known as the Torquarans. At their hands, untold thousands of Xambrians perished in the Firepits of Malnangar. A few escaped into the Wilderlands and went into hiding. Assisted by unknown benefactors, they somehow managed to survive The Great Disaster, disease, and starvation. To the spirits of their ancestors they swore an unbreakable oath, to find and bring to justice the murderers of their people. I am of that line. Now the Calling has come to me, and the spirits of my ancestors are with me. Even now they cry out in their many voices for vengeance, for one of the reincarnators has come back and I must destroy them utterly. Know I may require your assistance, for they will have minions. We may all be killed, but the line of the necromancers must end. This is what you sign for if you take that bag of coin. May the gods hunt us all if we do not hunt the reincarnator to his death."

Her eyes blaze through this, and the silver mesh gauntlets she wears shine. It is metal as gently caress.

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 24, 2014

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Elgan

The Phantasian nods along to Valdosti's story. "Yes, yes, fate of the world, generations-long grudges, desire for vengeance, sounds like quite the adventure. Honestly, you really needn't keep trying to convince us. Or dissuade us, whichever you're doing with that ominous storytelling. You offered the captain money to do something that isn't morally ambiguous, yet will doubtlessly involve copious applications of violence. We'd already be on our way if we weren't such polite listeners. A spare cabin recently opened up, I'm sure you're welcome to make yourself at home. Welcome aboard the Alabaster Midnight."

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Kay

Kay stares at the Xambrian, her mouth partially agape as the guitars blaze in the background and the fire starts burning in her eyes. Her eyes. They're changing colours. That's a neat trick...

The woman's dire words tumble out of her mouth -- y'know, she's not half bad looking, in a completely mental sort of a way -- but Kay finds she's only half listening, focusing instead on the Xambrian's dark, crackling intensity. What she's saying is clearly madness, but nevertheless it seems like this strange creature believes every word. It's impressive.

When she has finished, Kay clears her throat delicately. "Right then! So you're batshit insane. You should have just said." She smiles. "Well, love, I hate for you to fritter all of your money away on a boat ride to... wherever you just said. But you seem determined, and other less lovable aircrews might see fit to steal your coin and toss you out in the desert. We can at least take care o' you a bit."

She stands up suddenly and pockets the coin. "I'm sure if the cap had an objection, he would have said something by now. Feels like he's had a week to pipe up. Like the wizard said, welcome aboard!"

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.
Aabraz

"Well, alright then."

Aabraz was thinking this was a bad idea, but he knew how to work a ship's boat, and he could always just take the life boat and leave if things got too sketchy. Chances are this 'Xambrian' was just a nut anyway.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Hoplon

Sounds like there's a lot happening here. A lot of thinking to be done and a lot of potential for trouble. Age old grudges? Millenia old prophetic visions of the future and past colliding in one cataclysmic showdown of horseshit? Hoplon had heard of stuff like that. Prophecy was great, right up until the moment you kicked the mage in the dick for being a magic user and changed the outcome of the prophecy. He'd been prophesied to die in a burning airship crash, but he'd punched the fortune teller until he'd gotten a prophecy that made sense. Prophecy was for chumps.

"Aye, nae danger," said the Captain. "If yae do go crankie on us you're off at the first sign, ken?"

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

"The oath protects me from possession, as do the spirits of my ancestors." She looks around, "They give no such protection to you lot. We will need to make a stop along the way."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Hoplon

"Decent," said Hoplon. "Sounds like a plan. You got yer poo poo wae ya?" he asked. "We can get scran right noo."

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Kay

The pilot finishes her drink in one long pull, wipes her mouth nods amiably in agreement with the captain. "Aye. " She stands up. "Let me show you to the Midnight. You'll love her."

happy Thanksgiving you fat American pigmen

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Kay

As they exit the very fine Cymrilian establishment, the pilot leans into the Xambrian. "So where exactly is it you are paying us to take you, anyway, with all these 'necromancers'?" It is clear from her pronunciation that Kay does not know exactly what that means. "You may have said, but you said a lot of things."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I am in Kansas and sans pc access till Sunday at which time I will resume my usual shitposting. Until then carry on amongst yourselves.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Hoplon

Hoplon continues to walk to the ship.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Elgan

Elgan does some calibrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Kay

Kay pilots herself back to the ship.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Aabraz

Aabraz doesn't post for four weeks, but that's not unusual so no one notices.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Winson

Winson doesn't post for four weeks, but that's not unusual so no one notices.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Sass from sion, the final straw. My interest in forum PBP was already sort of bottomed out, so gonna call this one. Sorry folks.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I am a murderer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Such is the fate of all Tal games

• Locked thread